Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-05-2002, 10:56 AM   #11
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Media hype or a growing concern?

It got moderated down to 0. Go to your preferences. You can reset your prefernces to accept most messages (set to accept messages moderated to 0), or to -1, which shows pretty much everything.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Common Threads

Lets look for some Common Threads here:

Black Leather

Tatoos

Skull cap helments

Loud Pipes

Club Patches.

Beat up Harleys and other cruisers.

Alcohol

Drugs

You don't see police having problems with:

Folks that ride Gold Wings, Concours, BMWs , and new Harleys. I ride a sport bike and I never get hasseled by cops or families in minivans. In fact cops on BMWs and Kawas wave at me while I am going the legal limit in the car pool lane.

I get harassed by bikers on beat up old cruisers (see above) and women in SUVs
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Just more reasons to not like

This is a really good point. I live in Virginia, about 10 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bikers seem to be pretty well respected by most in this region -- riders bring a lot of money to businesses along the Parkway. The only time I think people really get pissed is when riders greatly exceed the 45 MPH Parkway speedlimit (I try only to do this when it is deserted).

However, I think the bike does have something to do with how you are perceived. When my wife and I rode our HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Harley's big touring bike with stereo, intercom, etc.), we would get the royal treatment wherever we went. When we visited Buffalo, Niagara, Vermont, etc., parking lot attendants would often let us park up front. People driving Toyota Camries would ask us about our trip. When I ride my Buell, however, I get a lot more dirty looks. No front parking spaces, to say the least. The only people that seem interested are motorcycle guys and teenage males that want to know how fast it goes.

Even when I rode the Harley solo, I got less positive treatment than I did with my wife. My point is this: people are scared of the unknown. When they saw my wife and I on a luxury touring bike -- especially when we pulled a trailer behind it -- they saw us as a couple on vacation. When I ride my Buell, I am seen as a hooligan. The problem with gang incidents is that it informs the public that bikers are hooligans, not normal people enjoying a different mode of transportation. Single males on cruisers with straight pipes or own sport bikes would seem to be the ones that would engender the most fear. I think this is ridiculous, but to counter it I go out of my way to be nice to people when I am on my bike.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:14 AM   #14
erik_squires
Founding Member

While I agree with most of your statement, I'm sorry, I read on the New York Times online that members of HA were in fact arrested.

The HA tatoo artist started firing shot several Pagans and killed one of them.

Funny thing was that the pagans show up to a place that's already surrounded by FBI and local law enforcement, with clubs, to fight with the HA. Hahahahaa. Sorry.

Erik
erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:14 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Wow, and all this time I thought your "typical HOG enthusiast" was a guy who just liked to ride motorcycles like everyone else. Learn something new every day I guess.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:19 AM   #16
erik_squires
Founding Member

Hype. There's a wonderful book that's recently out called The News About the News: American Journalism in Peril by Leonard Downie Jr. and Robert G. Kaiser.

The basic premise is that after CNN, all news organizations realised they could make much more profits by decreasing the cost of their product (i.e. get the cheapest news you can). So when you see easy to write journalism like that, you now know why.

Also, they find out that Americans as a whole actually do want better news, and more international coverage, but we're not getting it because that's more expensive, not as we're led to beleive, because surveys say we want pablum.

Peace!

Erik
erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:30 AM   #17
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Whatever

It seems that someone has seen fit to mediate my original comment (1st post) down to zero. I guess as true as it might be, a politically incorrect comment isn't welcome. My remark was qualified and well restrained. Apparently some people can't handle the obvious.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:35 AM   #18
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Whatever

I don't think you should have been moderated down. Let your ignorance be on display for all to see.

There are some bad Harley riders. This does not mean that all Harley riders are bad. I have never seen anyone deny the existence of motorcycle gangs -- only that they are not representative of the riding population as a whole, something that remains true.

Your first post read as if it classified all Harley riders as law breaking asses. That is simply idiotic. It has nothing to do with being PC or not. If that was not the intention of your post, I apologize for mischaracterizing. But that is certainly how it read.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:46 AM   #19
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Well, my sportbiking buddies and I aren't shooting people.....

So what did the Hells Angels do that pissed off the Pagans so bad? How are we supposed to tell which bad-ass leather-clad rider is the troublemaker to avoid? This article seems to suggest that, in spite of your contention to the contrary, not all the bad-ass biker-types are such upstanding citizens. Frankly, I've personally never had a problem with anyone on a Harley, and I've even been waved at by a couple of them while riding my R1. This article, however, would cause me to look over my shoulder when walking into my local Harley hangout (which I enjoy visiting, by the way.) Read the d*** article again before you start celebrating the virtues of all people mounted on Harleys. As was pointed out earlier, you don't hear about these kinds of things between gangs of sportbikers or BMW owners.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:57 AM   #20
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Your typical HOG enthusiast

I do not think the typical HOG enthusiast is an outlaw, though I think they like to portray themselves that way. I'm quite certain that if one were to group these outlaws with most of the other Harley riders I see, I wouldn't be able to tell which ones were the fine upstanding folk and which ones would stomp me to death for looking at them wrong.