Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-30-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Yeah man

A young man was walking the grounds of Harvard, looking for a certain lecture hall. He happened upon an upperclassman, and asked, "Excuse me, do you know where the lecture hall is at?" The crested-sweater and tweed pants-wearing older student replied, "Here at Harvard, we don't end our sentences with a preposition." The freshman replied, "Ok. Do you know where the lecture hall is at, a$$hole?"

"We are excited to partner with Sears Point Raceway and get the race fans smashed off our hooch. This is a strong avenue for Andretti Winery to get a greater number of wine country visitors more drunk."
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2002, 08:15 AM   #2
Holatahd
Founding Member

Default Re: Alcohol and Racing

Are we that desprate that we have to succumb to selling "yuppie" trinkits to increase attendence at races? If the winery's are so close to the track, buy some advertising on the trackside walls like everyone else. We are finally losing some of the stereo-types related to booze and bikes(not fast enough) and they hatch this. Put your time and planning efforts into track saftey, bigger purses, and did I mention track saftey?! The racer's will come and the fans will follow. I thought it was supposed to be all about racing.
Holatahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:59 AM   #3
Poser
Founding Member

Club racing is a lot more fun than the high zoot stuff that they are promoting. I would rather take my 11 year old son to the local racetrack where he can see the bikes and people up close. My brothers both race, so he gets to hang out with his uncles between races and then cheer for them when they are out on the track. We make a point of rooting for the guy who is in last place, because he is faster than I am, and he is out there on the track.

Being down in the dust and oil is a whole lot more fun and interesting than a sanitized corporate product.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:06 AM   #4
Grover
Founding Member

Guess what, it's not all about racing and it never has been, not since the first cavewoman watched two cavemen race each other for the best cave, and certainly not since the first business gave Joe racer a free case of oil for putting their logo on his machine.

I think this is a great idea, if nothing else it will bring people who have previously considered attending a race to be a red-neck low-class activity to the track, and since the same people who hold that view tend to have lots of money themselves, they'll spend it there.

This is probably a very low up-front cost for the track that will lead to big time revenue, revenue that can later go towards safety improvements.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:04 PM   #5
fr21555
Founding Member

How about free irradiated meat products (hot dogs) at a nuclear test range too?
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:54 PM   #6
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Reality time, folks. The Sonoma County wineries (and other businesses) have a huge _drop_ in business whenever there's an event at Sears Point. The race fans don't go there, and everybody else stays away because of all the traffic caused by the event. Ergo, this program is a deal to get the wineries off the raceway's back (IMHO, of course). And the other Sonoma businesses don't have the clout the wineries have, so they can just suffer.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:12 AM   #7
jmeyn
Founding Member

The target customers won't come unless they like wine and racing. If they just want to get a buzz on they can do that free at the hundreds of surrounding tasting rooms.

This is a great way to get more paying customers to support one of the finest racing venues in the world.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote