Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-16-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
JoeSquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law in CA

Riding with out a helmet is just about the dumbest thing that you can do. However I believe that freedom of choice is a paramount concept in the good ol' U.S. of A.....if you want to exercise you own personal stupidity, go right ahead. However, just make sure that you have adequate insurance to take care of you after the major brain injury from the 20mph "just trickin' around the neighborhood and profilin' ride". I don't want MY tax dollars spent wiping your vegetative ass 'cuz you wanted to "look cool".
JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
12er
Founding Member

There ya go, just wish they would quit wasting time and money trying to repeal this thing. Then again our "Law makers" dont seem to have anything better to do but make laws on top of laws on top of laws. I would love to see them focus on all the laws on the books and clean up the stupid ones that no longer apply from 150 years ago. Then again to some this is a stupid one too...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
JoeSquid
Founding Member

Got this email after I posted. Please help me to understand his comment.

A reader at Motorcycle.Com, M. R, sends the following feedback:

name = M. R

From = mkr1966@mcleodusa.net

state = NV

country = US

body = You are a Moron! I bet you ride a Jap squint eye bike?

Maybe someone can ask him for me?
JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
ZR-7
Founding Member

Joe,

Darwin is hard at work on Mkr1966...big time!!! He should have the right to weed himself out on his own dime.

I bet he can't point out the "Made In USA" stamp on his (mostly "Jap squint eye bike") Harley... Because their isn't one!!! Harley's don't have enough "American" parts to qualify for the stamp.

Let's see:

Showa forks and shocks - Honda owns Showa.

Keihin carb - Honda owns Keihin.

German pistons...

Philip

"Jap squint eye bike" ZR-7 and former '99 HD Sportster owner...
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 06:04 PM   #5
Bryan8252
Founding Member

You're right Joe Squid. How about this: If some ignoramous wants to ride without a helmet, then fine, but first you sign an agreement that not one dollar of public money be spent to put your small brains back into your head when you are found lying on the pavement with them falling out. As for the motocycle dealers supporting this abarition--you should take a close look in the mirror, because your lack of teaching safety and responsibility has the capability to kill our sport.
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Oy!

Can't we just go to the archives for this? Actually, I have some fresh perspective. My racing teammate and good buddy, Tim whacked his head GOOD in the Riverside turn at Buttonwillow last October. He was unconcious for 6 weeks, and is now in rehab. He's pretty scrambled up, and it's up in the air how much closer to normal he'll get.

If he hadn't been wearing a helmet, there would have been brains all over that track. No doubt. I mean, the shell is de-laminated and the EPS liner is noticeably crushed. Sure, it transmitted a lot of shock to his brain. But not enough to kill him, and it doesn't take a lot of G's to the brain to destroy it. Helmets aren't perfect, but until something better comes along, it's the bare minumum of protection every operator of motorcycle-like vehicle should wear. I mean, it's your freakin' brain! It takes so very little to injure it, and such a tiny injury to change your life forever. Ladies and Gentlemen, as exhibit A, I give you: Gary Busey.

Now, that said, should "the man" tell us we should wear it? Well, news for you, folks, there is no "the man." Unless there are big fat corporate interests invloved, it's the voters, working through their elected representatives, that make the decisions. And I think most Californians want their motorcyclists wearing helmets.

I can't say that for a fact, but I'll bet $100 that at least 50.1% of the voters in this state want us to wear helmets. And as long as the majority doesn't trample on any SERIOUS liberties, I'm really OK with it.

Yes, I do have a squinty-eyed Jap bike. (Thank God!)

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:53 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Oy!

Well, I have even a FRESHER perspective. Did your "buddy", who is possibly going to be scrambled eggs, have good insurance? See, I don't want one penny of my hard earned tax dollars to go to his rehab for doing something as stupid as racing motorcycles. And even if he did have good insurance, he is directly contributing to higher insurance rates, which affects me. I would bet $100 that 50.1% of the voters wouldn't want him doing that either. While were on that thought, I bet another $100 that they don't want us riding at all. Given the "minority" of motorcycles to car ratio I think you would have to agree. Outlawing motorcycles is certainly not a SERIOUS liberty violation. In fact, riding is not a "liberty" at all, it's a privilidge, correct? Using your "illogic" I have made a perfect case for getting rid of the PROBLEM, which is motorcycles. Injuries and deaths are just the symptoms of the disease, and 50.1% of us want you off the road. Hope you don't mind permently parking your squinty-eyed Jap bike too much.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:59 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"make sure that you have adequate insurance to take care of you after the major brain injury from the 20mph "just trickin' around the neighborhood and profilin' ride". I don't want MY tax dollars spent wiping your vegetative ass 'cuz you wanted to "look cool".

So it's ok that the guy wearing a helmet broke his neck and is a quad? Tax dollars for that ok? Or severed his spinal cord, shattered his legs, crushed his arm, or became a vege anyway because the helmet didn't protect him? How about the skin grafts the poser needs from having cutoffs and flip-flops? Would your tax dollars be good enough for these people? Since I have picked every single one of these guys off the street in 18 years of firefighter duty, do I need to give you a personal phone call to see who and what you will pay for? Just wondering.

Old 01-17-2002, 03:00 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Why don't you ask him yourself? Or is that beyond you?
Old 01-17-2002, 03:40 AM   #10
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Don't forget that our insurance costs go up also because of the dummy that made himself a quad. State Farm has to pay for some of that rehab and damage.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote