Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2002, 12:00 PM   #51
redcld
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law in CA

Unfortunately, good sense can not be legislated... While I myself would never ride without a good helmet; I dislike being told what I should or should not do...
redcld is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #52
Haird
Founding Member

Actually, there is a group advocating repeal of seatbelt laws. I think it's called ABASTE, which I'm pretty sure stands for A Brotherhood Against Seatbelt Traps with Engines. They believe more people are killed by being trapped by seatbelts in burning cars than would be killed if they were ejected onto the pavement at 70 mph.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #53
fwalters
Founding Member

I live in Florida, which just recently became a helmet optional state, and I believe in wearing a helmet, gloves, and leather when riding, but support those who wish to ride without a helmet. I occasionaly will ride out for gas or around the block without a helmet, and I have to admit it sure feels good to ride without one.

Anyway, my friends refer to riding without a helmet as "natural selection". My wise riding friend Bogus Dave always says "dress to crash", meaning there is more to dressing for a ride than slipping on a bucket.

What is amazing are the folks who insist we should wear helmets and that have never taken a riding course or bother reading a book on riding techniques. Some motorcycles now have the power and handling of superbikes that were raced just a few years ago, but alot of riders never take their personal "superbike" seriously enough to become competent when wacking the throttle, and either scare themselves into selling their machines or get hurt. We need to promote education amoung ourselves, and keep our sport fun. Mandating helmet use will save some lives, but it is not enough.

There is alot more to safe riding than wearing a helmet. Let those who want to ride without them do as they please.

fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:55 PM   #54
fwalters
Founding Member

Amen. Most people ride because of the feeling to freedom it gives you. Education, not regulations save lives.
fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:47 PM   #55
john
Founding Member

I got a question for you: How many riders that think helmet laws intrude on their "freedom" would take an intensive instruction program required for a license? i would guess very few, meaning that helmet laws are not the answer to lowering death rates. maybe we do not have to go so far as a tiered and limited displacement license system as england has, but maybe 40+ hours of proffesional instruction would be required.

In doing so, you weed out the riders who ride to show their "freedom" (or money) off to whoever they can, as they do not want to commit the time to get the license. For those who are dedicated enough to our sport/passion, they have completed a rigorous course that would teach them how to ride, and thus reducing the amount of deaths by attacking the ROOT of the problem: a lack of skills by ALL types of riders, no matter type of bike, no matter age.

I would bet that if there were NO helmet laws, but there was a system as mentioned above, there would be a DRASTIC decrease in deaths, as riders would be able to proactively avoid head trauma, instead of passively, as a helmet is designed to do.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:02 AM   #56
johnz
Founding Member

Drinkers and smokers already more than pay for their health expenses through heavy taxes and reduced pension payment (they draw them for less time).
johnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:09 AM   #57
johnz
Founding Member

Why should I ? There's plenty right here !
Old 01-18-2002, 02:12 AM   #58
johnz
Founding Member

Default Re: Oy!

I can think of only one country that has ever outlawed alcohol...

Old 01-18-2002, 04:53 AM   #59
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

While I agree with you, I wonder how many lives such a program would save. Too many people ride without an endorsement anyway.

The numbers in Washington state (where I live) show that you increase your chances of dying in an accident by 28% if you don't have an endorsement, but still one of every 4 riders in the state does not have an endorsement.

Also, 49% of motorcyclists who die in this state are riding drunk (BAL >.0, and have their judgement grossly impaired. I wonder if a course like you mention would help people who like to drink and ride.

Like another poster mentioned above, it is easy for a police officer to spot someone not wearing a helmet, but not so easy to spot someone who doesn't have a valid endorsement, who hasn't taken an MSF course, or (if in a car) isn't wearing a seatbelt, which is too bad.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:48 AM   #60
Poser
Founding Member

Default Drinkin', ridin', an' crashin'

You don't need to be legally drunk to be impared. I can tell the difference one beer in the last hour makes. An endorsement doesn't change that, nor does training. Common sense just might.

It is something to think about.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote