Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2002, 07:59 AM   #41
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Two Factors

I think the ideal solution is close to that. Riding in the city? Wear a lid. Under 21? Wear a lid. Over 21 and riding in the country: it should be your choice. Personally, I always wear a helmet, full face. But it would be nice to have the option, and the govt should not be playing mommy to us. We are adults, and if we can be sent off to take a bullet for the country, we should be able to play dangerous games at home, too.

Bill R

www.greatoldbikes.com

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2002, 08:07 AM   #42
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default An interesting note

The most common injury a person receives in a MVC (motor vehicle collision-we've gone away from calling them 'accidents') is closed head injury, followed closely by low back strain. It seems the head is on the end of a sort of whip (the spine) and usually smacks either the door frame, 'head restraint' (another misnomer), steering wheel, or just 'snaps' in midair, jostling the brain around on the meninges. If politicians really wanted to save some more lives and insurance companies money, they'd make everybody in a car wear a helmet.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:20 AM   #43
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law in CA

My Wife has a sticker on her Arai Quantum F that reads, "My Hemet - My Choice". She rode over 25,000 miles last year and went without her helmet maybe 300 miles.

I rode over 35,000 miles last year and went without mine for maybe 5,000 miles.

I say that only to say this. We are not stupid, ignorant nor dumbasses. We live in a choice state, Oklahoma and we travel as much as we can in choice states as well. If a state feels the need to take care of me then we choose not to spend our money in that state.

If I have the choice then I choose to wear my helmet for reasons of comfort. The safety issue on the road is questionable at best. The debate on both sides is evidence of this.

One thing is for sure. Where there is choice, there are more riders.

Inform, educate and train.

http://www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #44
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

"Where there is choice, there are more riders. "

SO TRUE!!! I did a bunch of research on helmet safety for research classes (had to do something that interested me, the alternatives were UGLY), and when it all came down to it, the before mandatory helmet law/after mandatory helmet law numbers showed that the number of deaths decreased. Not because helmets saved lives directly (the percentage of deaths/rider went up, but only by half a percent or so), but because less people were riding. So the numbers basically said this: Mandatory helmet laws saved lives because less people were riding, and less people were involved in accidents that would kill them. Pretty interesting.

I dunno, I had to say at the time, and still say, that if the laws save lives, that's a good thing, even if it means less people riding. Better to have more people alive and well, than more dead riders. Besides, those people not riding can pay for my rehab when my helmet snaps my neck, right?

luvmyvfr
Old 01-17-2002, 08:58 AM   #45
jayfin3
Founding Member

To ride without a helmet...it's a wonderful feeling. I love it, but I won't ride without one because the numbers are not in my favor. Cycles are a dangerous ride, why make the experience more dangerous? A second consideration is the cost associated with a serious injury that could be prevented by wearing a helmet. As costs of treatment to injured parties rise so do my health and motorcycle rates. We all pay, in the form of higher premiums, for the freedom of riding without a helmet. May Y'all be well and ride proud!
jayfin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:35 AM   #46
tshelver
Registered Member

I live in a state with no helmet law. In summer we suffer the loud-pipe, bad-boy brigade blasting a really nice, quiet area.

At least they all support the American right to decide.

Funny how they never decide to wear a helmet.

Even funnier, is how in winter time, the same group comes up and goes snowmobiling (must be the trailer affinity thing). You won't see one soul without a helmet!

I support a helmet law in my state. Maybe that will persuade the helmetless, loud pipe yahoos that p!$$ off the locals to go somewhere else to ride.

Anywhere else in the world, helmets have been required for decades. Seatbelts in cars have been required for decades.

Get over it.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:54 AM   #47
tshelver
Registered Member

I live in a state with no helmet law. In summer we suffer the loud-pipe, bad-boy brigade blasting a really nice, quiet area.

At least they all support the American right to decide.

Funny how they never decide to wear a helmet.

Even funnier, is how in winter time, the same group comes up and goes snowmobiling (must be the trailer affinity thing). You won't see one soul without a helmet!

I support a helmet law in my state. Maybe that will persuade the helmetless, loud pipe yahoos that p!$$ off the locals to go somewhere else to ride.

Anywhere else in the world, helmets have been required for decades. Seatbelts in cars have been required for decades.

Get over it.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:51 AM   #48
Poser
Founding Member

Default 175hp, Impact?

Careful choice of words or just serendipity?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:03 AM   #49
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

People who ride snomobiles wear helmets more to protect their skin from frostburn than to protect their brains from injury. Is it really that surprising to you?

luvmyvfr
Old 01-17-2002, 11:07 AM   #50
Poser
Founding Member

Default Helmets, Taxes, and Darwin

I doubt very much that a helmet law has much effect on taxes or insurance premiums. If you are wearing a helmet, you will survive a crash that would have killed you without a helmet. You may walk away from an accident that would have hospitalized you without a helmet. There is another consideration.

The severity of the accident required to kill/ maim you goes up as you put on more equipment. If you understand that, and understand that the general populace doesn't like motorcyclists very much, you can come to the following conclusion: If we get rid of helmet laws, we get rid of more riders, because they will be more likely to die in relatively minor accidents. That reduces the population and reduces the burden on society from motorcycle riding miscreants at the same time. Maybe helmets and armor should be ILLEGAL!

Those are good things, right? I try to keep my helmet shiny. Shiny side up.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote