Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2002, 06:09 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Helmet Law in CA

I wasn't personally offended. I just thought your remarks were shortsighted. I asked you a question. Was that a problem? I also think you should take care of e-mails in private. He sent it to you there and that is where it needs to be addressed. Public boards should be for public addressing. If he posted there then humiliate him here. If not then keep it private.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2002, 06:14 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ask him what? Are you still feeling the pain from our last little go round?? LOL I thought you would have gotten over that by now. Most MEN do.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:25 AM   #34
JoeSquid
Founding Member

hey, I just think that when someone is as racist as M.R. is, I think he should be publicly exposed for the jerk that he is. I personally don't enjoy getting racist email from this guy (which I have received several no matter how politely I try to get him to elucidate his point of view). May be I'm wrong. I'm big enough to admit to it. As for short sighted comments, maybe they were, but I think a good discussion has been a result. That's always a good thing - people calmly expressing their thoughts and LISTENING to others.
JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:38 AM   #35
aegis
Founding Member

Sounds like everyone has become a product of our pussified weak society. I've ridden in a couple other states without helmet laws and although the novelty of it wore off pretty quick for me, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to ride without a helmet if you decide to. Personally, given the choice I'd probably never leave home without my brain bucket but then again I think mandatory seat belt laws are bull***** too. Just my opinion.
aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:59 AM   #36
stevegrab
Founding Member

I see helmet laws as being very similar to the seat belt laws. Both are meant to protect the individual, requiring them to use a widely available safety feature.

What I don't understand is why there are always groups trying to repeal helmet laws, but I never hear about anybody trying to repeal seat belt laws.

Anybody have comments on that? Is it just that motorcyclists want to exercise their "personal freedoms" more than car drivers?

I may not agree with the helmet laws, but I think it is a vast waste of time & money trying to repeal them. Add to that, it makes motorcyclists look stupid, arguing that helmets do or don't save lives. Or that wearing them is an issue of personal freedom.

I've pointed out a few times on this site regarding helmet law debates, that many people to not agree with some laws. Many of us who ride like to go fast, and break the speed limit on occassion. I'm not out there trying to have the national speed limit repealed. If I want to go faster I will. And I'll accept the consequences if I'm caught.

Coincidentally, here in Ohio, the helmet law was repealed, about the same time that the seatbelt law was passed.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

True, what he wrote, if true, is ignorant to the max and I can see your frustration. I do not believe any brand of motorcycle is the problem. Rider education and training is what I believe is the answer. We need to put good stuff between the ears before we cover them.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:07 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If is was about "safety" they would change the joke they call a license test. A 5 year old could pass with flying colors. I firmly believe the biggest safety factor is inside the head and not attached to it.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:09 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Think those 175 hp 190mph bikes have a good impact on the general populace?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #40
runner00
Founding Member

All helmet laws should be based on two factors. 1) population density 2) rider experience . Problem solved.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote