Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Classifieds > Motorcycles For Sale / Wanted

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

The thing that has always troubled me most about all this is the invariable behavior of environmentalists to chronically lie. That seems to be the main activity these days, not just environmentalists, but just about every advocacy group you read about engages in wild lies and exaggerations. now, it can't be good to spew a lot of various crap into the biosphere. There is evidence that the ocean's acid content is rising. but there was an interesting article in Popular Science about people who are trying to counter this acididty. They are opposed and shut down by environmentalists. You see, the only possible solution for them is to destroy industrial society. Once you understand that then the crazy lies and behavior of the environmentalist fanatics makes sense.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Sensationalism gets money. Follow the money.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

The thing that cracks me up about all that nonsense is the front page headlines will scream about "the hottest day/month/year in history!!!" while the next story down will be "melting glacier exposes 1000 year old Viking settlement in the arctic"... I mean really, how foolish of them to build a town underneath a glacier.....

Cyclic heating and cooling of the planet has been going on for millions of years, it's just now we have more sophisticated systems to collect and coalate data. Granted it's not a good idea to spew tons of particulates into the air and acidify the oceans and we should do all we can to eliminate that but hair pulling hysteria solves nothing. Neither do abject lies and half truths from the supposed experts in the scientific community, we need a rational and coherant plan world wide to do any good. The trouble is the guy clearing land for farming in the Amazon basin is selfishly more concerned with feeding his family than indulging Algore and his fantasies, the rest of these Earth First ecoterrorists are just attention grabbing a$$holes who enjoy destroying property. You can bet everyone of them lives in a wood framed house, sits in a wooden chair and drives a car everywhere they go. Nothing but hypocrites and demagogues
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
it can't be good to spew a lot of various crap into the biosphere.
No, it can't. And if we can create energy sources that don't, why wouldn't we? We all know oil is a dead end, and that we send billions to our sworn enemies for it every day, so why not do something about it?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
No, it can't. And if we can create energy sources that don't, why wouldn't we? We all know oil is a dead end, and that we send billions to our sworn enemies for it every day, so why not do something about it?
Oh, I think it's a great idea. I also believe it's going to happen. But, unlike some people, I don't think that the ends justifies the means. Bottom line: any person or group that uses lies to forward their purpose has hidden evil purposes.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Oh, I think it's a great idea. I also believe it's going to happen. But, unlike some people, I don't think that the ends justifies the means. Bottom line: any person or group that uses lies to forward their purpose has hidden evil purposes.
Right. I am ALL for new energy sources. I think we are very close to a new boom in energy development.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Oh, I think it's a great idea. I also believe it's going to happen. But, unlike some people, I don't think that the ends justifies the means. Bottom line: any person or group that uses lies to forward their purpose has hidden evil purposes.
You say environmentalists lie. Ok, I'll agree that there are a lot of groups whose cause is so important to them that they'll lie or distort the truth to further their ends. But I tend to believe scientists, especially when there are scientists from all over the world who agree on the salient points of global warming; scientists from a multitude of different cultures, nations, economic circumstances, etc. Is a world-wide conspiracy of scientists distorting the truth for their own evil ends more plausable to you than the idea that burning billions of tons of fossil fuels can cause a rise in the Earth's temperature? I can find scientists who will say that that the Earth is around 5000 years old, and that dinosaur bones are a trick played by Satan to test our faith. But the vast majority will disagree, and provide re-producable evidence to support their claims.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

"But I tend to believe scientists,...."

I guess it all comes down to which ones you believe and which version you believe. Even the most hardened global warming scientists can't agree on a model for the future. That alone makes it the very definition of 'junk science'.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You say environmentalists lie. Ok, I'll agree that there are a lot of groups whose cause is so important to them that they'll lie or distort the truth to further their ends. But I tend to believe scientists, especially when there are scientists from all over the world who agree on the salient points of global warming; scientists from a multitude of different cultures, nations, economic circumstances, etc. Is a world-wide conspiracy of scientists distorting the truth for their own evil ends more plausable to you than the idea that burning billions of tons of fossil fuels can cause a rise in the Earth's temperature? I can find scientists who will say that that the Earth is around 5000 years old, and that dinosaur bones are a trick played by Satan to test our faith. But the vast majority will disagree, and provide re-producable evidence to support their claims.
Is someone selling a Magna in here?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You say environmentalists lie. Ok, I'll agree that there are a lot of groups whose cause is so important to them that they'll lie or distort the truth to further their ends. But I tend to believe scientists, especially when there are scientists from all over the world who agree on the salient points of global warming; scientists from a multitude of different cultures, nations, economic circumstances, etc. Is a world-wide conspiracy of scientists distorting the truth for their own evil ends more plausable to you than the idea that burning billions of tons of fossil fuels can cause a rise in the Earth's temperature? I can find scientists who will say that that the Earth is around 5000 years old, and that dinosaur bones are a trick played by Satan to test our faith. But the vast majority will disagree, and provide re-producable evidence to support their claims.
At one time scientists proved that faster than light travel was impossible both physically and theoretically. It is now theoretically possible to exceed the speed of light and certain electronic devices have been measured that transmit particles faster than light. Yet only 10 years ago you would have been labelled a crackpot by the scientific community for saying so... and scientists were. Physics is far more precise than any weather forecasting, yet they constantly revise theories.

Another "fact" was the century long claim that dinosuars were reptiles and ambient temperature blooded. This was based on "religious darwinian dogma" rather than the simple observation that cross-sectioned dinosaur bone marrow revealed the same microorganisms tha exist only in mammls and birds... both warm blooded.

Even longer ago it was "proved" that the Earth revolved around the sun and the ancients even had accurate tables to predict the motion of the planets including the retrograde motion.

So one has to be careful on saying what is settled science. Even the Big Bang theory is largely defunct even though the old guard refuses to admit it. Check out the Electrical Universe Theory for a new and more predictable theory that fits all observed data.

That being said I agree that we should move away from fossil fuels. I just don't agree that we have to give up prosperity to do so. I especially don't care what failed divinity students who had lower grades than the idiot GWBush think.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off