Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Classifieds > Motorcycles For Sale / Wanted

Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Toshiro
Registered Member

Default 600 - 1000cc Supersport (Buyer)

I'm considering purchasing a used machine for around 5k with low mileage in the near future. This will be used as another commuter. 41-50mpg+ is required on plus or premium. Buying a new street legal machine whether I'm planning to modify it or not is a complete waste of hard earned money. The value decreases after the instant it rolls out the dealer's doors. The one thing I don't want is someone's lemon. Anything else I should look for? Additional tips or tricks?

• While talking with him/her, asses how cooperative they are. An uneasy, quick-spoken or rushy person means they probably have something to hide.
• Have him/her start it. "No." Walk away!
• Ask when the last time it was started.
• Listen for clanking.
• Test ride it. "No." might be a bad sign.
• Pay special attention to the tran. Anything unusual could indicate it was abused.
• Check for leaking fluids. If there are leaking fluids, that means it wasn't properly maintained.
• Gouges or large scratches on the side mean it has been laid over.
• "Why are you selling it?" should be asked.
• Don't settle for their price.
• Start low.
• Bring cash. Flaunting wads around someone entices them to make a good deal. Know when to pull it out and how much. Showing it right off will make them want you to pay more.
• Know when to walk away. Don't settle for the first thing. If that person wants the cash, they'll let it go.

-------

Last edited by Toshiro : 10-18-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

"Additional tips or tricks?"

Yes, probably the single most important of all when buying used: ask for the maintenance records. Anybody who gives a crap about their machines will either have the records on hand, or be able to produce them fairly quickly. I have every receipt for oil, filters, service, etc. for my car and bike. I gave the same records for every bike and car I've sold to the new owner to maintain continuity.

BTW: I wouldn't put too much stock in the "flash the cash" stuff. Most people know what they need to get for their bike. They'll pad the advertised price a bit, but you can get to their bottom line without all that rigamarole.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Hmm .. I don't have the maintenance records handy on my bikes, but they are well-maintained. I'm just disorganized when it comes to paperwork However, it's not too difficult to show that my bikes are in good repair, so it's not really an issue for me. Plus, I don't sell my bikes very often, either.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Hmm .. I don't have the maintenance records handy on my bikes, but they are well-maintained. I'm just disorganized when it comes to paperwork However, it's not too difficult to show that my bikes are in good repair, so it's not really an issue for me. Plus, I don't sell my bikes very often, either.
You should be ASHAMED of yourself! Please leave your keys and helmet on my desk on your way out.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

I just get the stamps in my book whenever its serviced.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote