Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles For Sale / Wanted (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycles-for-sale-wanted/)
-   -   600 - 1000cc Supersport (Buyer) (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycles-for-sale-wanted/19588-600-1000cc-supersport-buyer.html)

Toshiro 10-18-2011 08:32 AM

600 - 1000cc Supersport (Buyer)

I'm considering purchasing a used machine for around 5k with low mileage in the near future. This will be used as another commuter. 41-50mpg+ is required on plus or premium. Buying a new street legal machine whether I'm planning to modify it or not is a complete waste of hard earned money. The value decreases after the instant it rolls out the dealer's doors. The one thing I don't want is someone's lemon. Anything else I should look for? Additional tips or tricks?

• While talking with him/her, asses how cooperative they are. An uneasy, quick-spoken or rushy person means they probably have something to hide.
• Have him/her start it. "No." Walk away!
• Ask when the last time it was started.
• Listen for clanking.
• Test ride it. "No." might be a bad sign.
• Pay special attention to the tran. Anything unusual could indicate it was abused.
• Check for leaking fluids. If there are leaking fluids, that means it wasn't properly maintained.
• Gouges or large scratches on the side mean it has been laid over.
• "Why are you selling it?" should be asked.
• Don't settle for their price.
• Start low.
• Bring cash. Flaunting wads around someone entices them to make a good deal. Know when to pull it out and how much. Showing it right off will make them want you to pay more.
• Know when to walk away. Don't settle for the first thing. If that person wants the cash, they'll let it go.

-------

The Spaceman 10-18-2011 08:57 AM

"Additional tips or tricks?"

Yes, probably the single most important of all when buying used: ask for the maintenance records. Anybody who gives a crap about their machines will either have the records on hand, or be able to produce them fairly quickly. I have every receipt for oil, filters, service, etc. for my car and bike. I gave the same records for every bike and car I've sold to the new owner to maintain continuity.

BTW: I wouldn't put too much stock in the "flash the cash" stuff. Most people know what they need to get for their bike. They'll pad the advertised price a bit, but you can get to their bottom line without all that rigamarole.

trenttheuncatchable 10-18-2011 09:50 AM

Hmm .. I don't have the maintenance records handy on my bikes, but they are well-maintained. I'm just disorganized when it comes to paperwork :) However, it's not too difficult to show that my bikes are in good repair, so it's not really an issue for me. Plus, I don't sell my bikes very often, either.

The Spaceman 10-18-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 268299)
Hmm .. I don't have the maintenance records handy on my bikes, but they are well-maintained. I'm just disorganized when it comes to paperwork :) However, it's not too difficult to show that my bikes are in good repair, so it's not really an issue for me. Plus, I don't sell my bikes very often, either.

You should be ASHAMED of yourself! Please leave your keys and helmet on my desk on your way out.

12er 10-19-2011 09:03 AM

I just get the stamps in my book whenever its serviced.