Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
bluehawk1
Registered Member

Default Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, what did the little sh:t have to say that was so compelling?
Actually it was what he did, and the way he did it that is of greater interest. We are all familiar with the vilified image of Hitler after his infamous attempt to rule the world with his "master race". With hundreds of books about the man, perhaps the most definitive are by Ian Kershaw--the two shown below, divided historically from 1889-1936 and from 1936-1945.

Perhaps in today's terminology the man had some self esteem issues. But the world in which we now live was largely shaped by his maniacal ambitions and the resulting war which ended it all.

bluehawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I've been sort of interested in reading that actually. Amazing as it seems now, it was a HUGE bestseller in the 1930's worldwide. Intellectuals, politicians, ordinary citizens were all buying it, reading it, and arguing over it. One old US government sponsored movie I was watching was intended to debunk it. So, what did the little sh:t have to say that was so compelling?
I have a 1936 copy of Mein Kampf. I've tried to read it twice. But the rambling and frankly insane structure made me give up both times. Too much disjointed talk of blood and race and lebensraum, it's really an exercise in insanity as it leaps around from subject to subject. Unfortunately too many modern politicians make about as much logical sense as Hitler did.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk1 View Post

Perhaps in today's terminology the man had some self esteem issues.
I think you get today's understatement prize.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #25
bluehawk1
Registered Member

Default Mein Kampf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I have a 1936 copy of Mein Kampf.
This might be worth some bucks among the collectors. I assume that your 1936 copy is the English version. Who is the publisher?

Last edited by bluehawk1 : 07-22-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk1 View Post
This might be worth some bucks among the collectors. I assume that your 1936 copy is the English version. Who is the publisher?
It was part of a special printing of books in English that were distributed free in an attempt to alert the world of the dangers of Hitler. I can read German after a fashion but too slowly to be of much value. There's a frontispiece that is signed by a lot of the respected people of the time... Churchill, Somerset Maugham, etc. It's even in the original dust jacket.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
bluehawk1
Registered Member

Default Mein Kampf

Quote:
There's a frontispiece that is signed by a lot of the respected people of the time... Churchill, Somerset Maugham, etc. It's even in the original dust jacket.
Those signatures make it especially valuable. Did you ever have it appraised by a reputable book dealer?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
It was part of a special printing of books in English that were distributed free in an attempt to alert the world of the dangers of Hitler. I can read German after a fashion but too slowly to be of much value. There's a frontispiece that is signed by a lot of the respected people of the time... Churchill, Somerset Maugham, etc. It's even in the original dust jacket.
Can I borrow it for a couple of weeks?