Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Daytona, 1920....

Here's a neat video sent to me by none other than Super Hunky's old buddy Tom (as in Tom Fiala).

Look at the size of that board track! Jeez, must have been hell to sandpaper and varnish...

If I would have been around back then, my nickname probably would have been "splinters".

Enjoy.

MySpaceTV Videos: MOCK UP on MU TRAILER by DPLA_Auvinen

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

212 km/hr?!!

That is 131 mph- pretty damn impressive for 1920.

Thanks for sharing Mscuddy. How many square feet of boards was that track? The track must have made an odd noise when the bikes roared past. Like a bowling alley from hell?
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebeast View Post
212 km/hr?!!

That is 131 mph- pretty damn impressive for 1920.

Thanks for sharing Mscuddy. How many square feet of boards was that track? The track must have made an odd noise when the bikes roared past. Like a bowling alley from hell?
Doesn't take that much horsepower to get to 130 mph. Most 70's era 1000s would do it... about 80 rwhp.

Now getting up to 150. That's a lot harder. More like 120 HP. I could do the formulas but I'd rather let that keyboard in Seattle explode into 1000 pieces.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Doesn't take that much horsepower to get to 130 mph. Most 70's era 1000s would do it... about 80 rwhp.

Now getting up to 150. That's a lot harder. More like 120 HP. I could do the formulas but I'd rather let that keyboard in Seattle explode into 1000 pieces.
All it takes is a V-4 engine. With a V-4 engine you can reach 400mph, come to a stomp instantaneously, teleport, travel back in time, and V-4 engines can be powered by rainbows and daffodils. The V-4 engine is a brand new design and will take the market by storm, I tell you!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Here's a neat video sent to me by none other than Super Hunky's old buddy Tom (as in Tom Fiala).

Look at the size of that board track! Jeez, must have been hell to sandpaper and varnish...

If I would have been around back then, my nickname probably would have been "splinters".

Enjoy.

MySpaceTV Videos: MOCK UP on MU TRAILER by DPLA_Auvinen
That's a pretty neat video.

That track is huge. Was that track bike only or did they race cars on it, also? It just seem huge.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

I didn't know that those bikes were that fast in the '20s. Even if I could go that fast on a period bike, I am not sure I would want to- with period tires and period metallurgy in the frame.

A neighbor has a 1910 Indian that he is restoring that has "double clincher" tires. Those tires sure are narrow.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebeast View Post
I didn't know that those bikes were that fast in the '20s. Even if I could go that fast on a period bike, I am not sure I would want to- with period tires and period metallurgy in the frame.

A neighbor has a 1910 Indian that he is restoring that has "double clincher" tires. Those tires sure are narrow.
If I was riding 130 MPH on the Cuddymobile around that track, I'd have a "double clincher" too but it would be the tires.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Double clincher indeed!

The 1910 had a supplemental oil pump (manual) that you were supposed to use if you went above a certain speed (about 60mph IIRC) or put the bike under load.

Suicide shifts are for sissies. Suicide oil pumps were the real deal!

If less is more then those old bikes had the most.

You think the vibration on the Cuddymobile would settle down at warp speed, like Chuck Yeager pushing the envelope towards the sound barrier?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You know the Huffy never vibrated as much as the Dimondback. The DB vibrates so bad your tooth fillings feel like they're going to drop out. After watching that vid I was amazed on how much they look like bicycles with a BIG HONKING MOTOR stuck in 'em. Those guys had balls like church bells. And weren't the throttles wired wide open with a blip switch like an old WWI fighter? Madness!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010018[1].jpg (104.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by mscuddy : 03-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote