Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default Tron II - Reprise of the Ducatis

The kid and I went to see Tron: Legacy at the IMAX theater last night. Turns out Tron is sort of a motorcycle movie. Motorcycles aren't the central theme of the flick, but certainly are a key component of it.

The movie starts with a Ducat GT1000 Sport Classic tearing around what appears to be Seattle freeways at high speed. A cop on a BMW K1300 Police bike gives chase, and the Duc rider escapes by switching off his lights and jumping off the freeway onto an exit ramp. At the end of the movie we're treated to a long clip of the GT, touring at high speed with helmetless riders, who have no eye protection whatsover. Motorcycles permeate the movie, with the LightCycles stealing the show.

The movie is very good in regard to the computer-graphics. If you're old enough to remember the original Tron, it was one of, if not the, first movie with large-scale CG effects. The most memorable part of Tron 1 was, of course, the LightCycle deathmatch, where the bikes would try to cut each other off on a 2D grid and destroy their opponent. Things have come a long way since then; the LightCycle deathmatch in this version is fully 3D with raster graphics that support curves.

Don't go to the movie for the story. It's utterly predictable; trite, and boring. The "hero" is able to figure out the Tron Games and defeat the masters in 30 seconds. There is one character who is a total ripoff of Jack Sparrow from Pirates. The Tron character seems to die, but his fate is left open for Tron 3.

Do go to the movie for the astounding CG, and if you have an IMAX theater nearby, the 3D. This film has the most incredible 3D I have ever seen, including Avatar, which we saw at the same theater last New Year's Eve. Also go for the two red-hot hotties; one medium-build raven who could talk me into marriage #6, and one tall, curvy blonde who could talk me into...well...anything. Anything at all.

About the Ducatiarama: "product placement" in movies has become the norm. Signourny Weaver was smoking cigarettes all through Avatar; which just looked like a stupid thing to do in a high-tech bio lab. Tobacco placement. The Ducati "ads" in this movie are so blatant and contrived that frankly, they intrude into the film and force you to realize you're being marketed to. Not good for the movie OR Ducati, IMO.

Son: "Well Dad, I park my DUCATI in my living room now.
Dad: "Wow, I remember my old DUCATI."
Son: "I'm fixing up your old DUCATI. It runs great."
Dad: "I can't wait to get out of here and ride my Ducati again."
Son: "You will Dad, you will. As soon as the replacement plastic DUCATI gas tank arrives."

5 Stars for CG and Hottie Content
1 Stars for Everything Else
3 Stars Aggregate Score

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Son: "Well Dad, I park my DUCATI in my living room now.
Dad: "Wow, I remember my old DUCATI."
Son: "I'm fixing up your old DUCATI. It runs great."
Dad: "I can't wait to get out of here and ride my Ducati again."
Son: "You will Dad, you will. As soon as the replacement plastic DUCATI gas tank arrives."
Son: "In the meanwhile Dad, have a COCA-COLA(tm) while you're waiting......."
Dad: "Ah, I remember the first COCA-COLA(tm) I ever tasted, son - I was less than half your age, and fresh out of PAMPERS(tm)!"
Son: "That's OK Dad - now you're almost ready for DEPENDS(R)!"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Just watched Tron: Legacy this weekend...

My wife and I just watched Tron: Legacy this weekend. Morbo is right. This movie has some of the best CG I've ever seen. It also has some pretty direct product placement (i.e. Ducati in the living room, Coors can turned perfectly toward the camera, etc.). If you can allow yourself to let go and enjoy it, it is a fantastic movie.

However, don't watch it with anyone who hasn't seen the first movie. I had to endure at least twenty "can you explain what's going ons" and "I don't get its" from the missus.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Tron II was pretty good as a popcorn movie IMHO but I think it would totally suck on a TV set. Best to see it in a theater. However the blonde chick is worth it any time any place.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Depends on how big your tv set is. And there was more than one (blonde).
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Depends on how big your tv set is. And there was more than one (blonde).
I think it's not hard to guess which blonde I'm referring to.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Olivia Wilde is utterly hot. She's what Angelina Jolie might look like if she weren't a heroin addict.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I think it's not hard to guess which blonde I'm referring to.
So I guess it's not this one?

trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
So I guess it's not this one?

Was there another blonde in the movie? I don't remember any others.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

hmm she looks like a Star Trek extra, didn't Capt. Kirk have a fling with her?????

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote