Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Exclamation King Kenny Indy mile

Soup :: Yamaha Announces "King" Kenny Roberts Return to the Indy Mile Video :: 12-17-2009

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

MOKE, I was there for the original ride at the Indy mile when I was a kid. I was flippin watching Kenny on that bike the way he did. I even met Kenny in the pits after many of the races I saw him ride. Great racer, but no personality to speak of. Guys like Aldana, Mann, Romero, Lawill, Nixon, and Brelsford were just plain awesome. I was so lucky to have seen and talked with all those guys back in the day. To me, they were the ultimate motorcyclists. They built their bikes, raced them, wrenched em between the heats, talked with the fans for as long as you wanted to hang with them, drove all their shyt to the next race, and did it all over again. Those were the days.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Man, LR what I would give to experience just that one particular race. Watching guys like that in that era would have been epic, did you even realize how lucky you were at the time.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Man, LR what I would give to experience just that one particular race. Watching guys like that in that era would have been epic, did you even realize how lucky you were at the time.
I didn't think about it then, but I know it now. I was lucky to be part of what was in my view, the best era of motorcycling ever. I went to all the races back then: Indy, Springfield, Peoria, Terra Haute, Columbus, Louisville, DuQuoin, Santa Fe. I got to speak with **** Mann at Peoria a couple years back too. A better, more humble motorcyclist you will never find. He was, and still is the best. Now you know why guys like Mladin make me sick. I saw AMA racing, and racers, when it was at it's peak. Now look at it! I did hit Springfield and Peoria this year. Still love it.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Peoria is one one my favorites tracks out of all of the flat tracks they travel too. I definitely know where your coming from with Mladin and I agree. I know one big advantage he had was his time within that team that kept catapulting him to the podium every weekend for 7yrs. I Love the idea of the rider doing everything from driving their, wrenching and riding- thats what we all have done if youve raced unless you get sponsorship.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I never got to see KR race, but like thousands of other kids in the '70's he was a hero to me. In fact, I bought a Yamaha for my first bike in part because KR was a Yamaha guy.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Was it an RD?