Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
No1Bloke
Registered Member

Default Moto 450 - Super single racers

We've cobbled together a promo video - have a watch and then build one yourself!
Moto 450 Promo
Bloke.

Photo: Britishsportphotography.
No1Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Super! What kind of durability are you getting from the MX based motors? Sounds like you're not riding on the rev-limiter most of the time, and was wondering if the hand-grenade scenario MX riders face after about 30 hours of hard racing applies to one modified for the tarmac. Also, what kind of final drive gearing does the switch to road-racing warrant?

The bikes sound fantastic on the race track, like a old KSS Velo on the cam.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Click here to meet Super Single Racers in your area............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Super! What kind of durability are you getting from the MX based motors? Sounds like you're not riding on the rev-limiter most of the time, and was wondering if the hand-grenade scenario MX riders face after about 30 hours of hard racing applies to one modified for the tarmac. Also, what kind of final drive gearing does the switch to road-racing warrant?

The bikes sound fantastic on the race track, like a old KSS Velo on the cam.
Sounds like the Norton Manx is back.

What'dya think would happen if someone dropped a CR500 engine in one of those frames.. just for fun?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

If you put an '87 CR500 motor with the right porting and pipe in a road-race frame, it woukd be unbeatable (in the right hands of course).

Mine was ported by E.C. Burt, after he'd gone to kart motors, and the bike pulled all the way through, from top to bottom. Of course it had a big mid-range hit like all CR's, but that just kept buildiing to an insane top end. I could also bonk along on singe track like a trail-bike. Would overheat in that environment after a while though, but still, if you could get rolling again, it would work just fine.

I think I'd rather have a four stroke on the street though, just my preference. That or a street legal YZ490...heh...heh

The best dirt bike I ever owned. I have had a few.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
No1Bloke
Registered Member

We have so far had very little problems with the motor on track. As we run the engine in its stock form with just a power commander, open inlet and high flow exhaust there is no point in revving the motor to the rev limiter, the power has peaked by 9,000 so shift up at that point. It’s fair to say I let it rev on the odd time to save a gear change here or there but mostly shift at 9,000.
The Suzuki has done 5 meeting plus several practice days with no problems, we have pulled it apart a few times to keep a check on thing because we have no real maintenance schedule to run with so its better to play safe. We have just replaced the piston as a matter of course but by the end of the season I think a new rod and bearings will be required. The valves so far have been faultless and need no adjustment or replacement, but they too will be replaced over the winter.
I have run tuned 450's in the past and playing with pistons, cams and ignitions we used to rev them to 11,500 however although they put out more power engine failures were regular and very expensive too.
If the Moto450 class is policed correctly and everyone plays by the rules using stock motors a seasons close and reliable racing is on the cards.
No1Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Thanks for the honest answer. You can see how the rev-limited bunch in MX causes the highly stressed works-type fore strokes to grenade on a regular basis.

Nice you've found a venue where the motors last quite a bit longer. As it bankrupts the average joe when his already expensive MX machine needs another $4,000.00 USD to get rolling again.