Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Dust to Glory

Remember Bruce Brown, the guy who did all those cool movies about surfing and motorcycles and stuff in the 70's? Apparently somebody f'cked him because he has a kid named Dana. Dana is a boy, I think, who couldn't get a real job, so he stole his old man's movie cameras and friends and has cranked out his own movie about motorcycles and trucks and stuff.

Which leads to Dust to Glory, the insider's look at the infamous Baja 1000 (pronounced: bay'-jaw wun tow-san). Did you know that in certain parts of the US Western deserts, you can still see the tracks left by Conestoga wagons as they crossed America? And you can still see the tracks of every desert motorcycle race ever held, which is why the moved the original Vegas 500 race to Mexico, where they really don't give a crap.

The movie has all the elements of your typical Brown excretion: the laid-back stoner announcer dude, the behind the scenes heros, and the one Godlike super stud who challenges man, nature, and roadside chalupa stands to rise above the putrid human condition. For this movie the hero is a guy named Mouse Miller, or McCoy, or something that starts with M. Mouse apparently found Kawolski's dealer and did enough speed to run the entire Wun Tow-San by hisself without rest. By the end of the race he's pretty spun, to say the least. The behind the scenes hero is a ham radio guy in a tent on top of a mountain who manages to f' up a 1/4 century of astronomical research at a nearby observatory with his Honda generator and 100w bulbs. He also dispatches helicopter ambulances to gather up the Mexicans who step in front of the speeding trucks and bikes.

Speaking of speeding trucks, if you have an extra million laying around, you can build a "Trophy Truck" and run over Mexicans, cows, fences, cacti, and chalupa stands at over 150 mph. Pretty cool stuff; these trucks are amazing feats of technology. They spare no expense in materials and engineering. Their support crews rival full blown Winston Cup (I mean Sprint Cup, or Coffe Cup) pits. But I kind of had to root for the VW class; these guys have to use stock engines and suspensions. Their percentage of finishers is better than the million dollar trucks, BTW.

They put the wraps on this Voyage to the Bottom of the Silt, Brown drags Malcolm Smith out of his grave and films him handing out ice-cream sandwiches to impoverished ghetto Mexicans. The race organizers and Smith built a school and dug a well at one of the race course's corners a few years ago. Since then the gringos hurl quarters out of their windows as they race past. It's a living.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Good flick, seen it about 5 times.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Stop 'dissin MS

Better watch the wise cracks about Malcom Smith, he may be up in years, but can still blow most of you so called "dirt riders' right into the giggle bushes.

And he's a hell of a nice guy too. As evidenced by this picture, taken at the Monsters of MX in '08.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malcolm & Me.JPG (67.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Yeah, Ken, where have you been?

Oh, that's right, it about DIRT riding.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I know all about Malcolm Smith. I'll never forget the REAL movie On Any Sunday...he was truly my hero. Like a zillion other kids, that movie got me on my first bike; the RC5.

I just didn't like the whole "Back to the Well for Another Few Million" flavor of this movie. It was too contrived. However, the footage was excellent, the cinematography was first rate, and the scenery is beyond compare. But where's the fun in saying all that?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I know all about Malcolm Smith. I'll never forget the REAL movie On Any Sunday...he was truly my hero. Like a zillion other kids, that movie got me on my first bike; the RC5.

I just didn't like the whole "Back to the Well for Another Few Million" flavor of this movie. It was too contrived. However, the footage was excellent, the cinematography was first rate, and the scenery is beyond compare. But where's the fun in saying all that?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Fun enough to say twice I guess.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
For no apparent reason, my posts started to appear twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
For no apparent reason, my posts started to appear twice.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 09-01-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: For no apparent reason, my posts started to appear twice.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
For no apparant reason, my posts started to appear twice.

For no apparant reason, my posts started to appear twice.
Maybe that's why you got married so many times. You forgot how many wives you already had.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

I see everything twice!

(See who gets that one.)