Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Videos (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-videos/)
-   -   Exit Speed (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-videos/12591-exit-speed.html)

Kenneth_Moore 07-20-2009 05:35 AM

Exit Speed

Exit Speed is a movie that could easily have been made 40 years ago; it would have been as familiar and topical to it's audience then as it is now. Comparing the elements of the classic "bikexploitation movies" of the 60's and 70's to Exit Speed tells us why:

- An innocent group of strangers find themselves the target of evil motorcyclists anger.

-The riders are not only immune to, but apparently unknown to the law.

-Drugs, torture, rape, and really bad clothing form the elemental core of the motorcyclists.

-After a brutal battle, the innocent would-be victims triumph, but only after great loss.

The basic story is that a bunch of strangers wind up on a bus on Xmas Eve. There's the "Coach," fired from his job for alcoholism and slapping around smartass students. There's "Mom," a decent woman trying to get home to her two kids. "Mexican Dude," a fellow who's managed to avoid learning one single word of English, but turns out to have a streak of MacGiver a mile wide. "Boner and Bonee," the lusty couple who we meet in the bus restroom, joining the 4.5' High Club. "Goth Chick," who is, well, Goth. And our hero, "Young Hottie Iraq War Vet," who is also a US Senator's daughter. Oh yeah, that guy who played Gus Grissom in "The Right Stuff" is in this movie. Fred Ward...I think. The only face you'll recognize.

In the opening moments of the film, the bus driver accidently runs over two of the biker gang as they perform death-defying stunts (except for the 2 who died of course) around the bus. Enraged, the Stunta Gang begins their assault on the bus, standing on their bike saddles as they blast guns through the bus windows (ever wonder why the people driving the car/bus don't just swerve into the motorcycle and smash it? Me too.) The bus winds up in a junkyard, where the siege begins.

It's a crappy movie, a really crappy, awful movie. But you should see it, because it's a very good picture of how a lot of people view you: the motorcyclist. The only thing that's changed since the drive-in movies of the 60's and 70's is the type of bike and how they're ridden. Intead of choppers and bobbers, the bikes are supersports with crash cages. Instead of drag racing through town, the gang members perform endless stunts; wheelies standing on the tail of the bike going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around. Then they go around some more. The gang chicks now ride their own bikes, which is, I suppose, progress. But DAMN they some UGLY HOs!!! I'm taking butt ugly, Dr. slapped yo Momma, make you turn gay FUGLY. The male gang "members" (get it, "members") are actually rather attractive compared to the gals.

Exit Speed. A good name, you'll think, as you Speed to the theater Exit.

sarnali2 07-20-2009 06:51 AM

Sounds like a contender for Seruzawa's Crappy Movie Award...thank God he'll have to site through it instead of me...

Funny you should mention the pre-requisite cast of characters, just like a war movie: you have the innocent farm boy whose never even seen tits, the streetwise Italian kid from the Bronx, the quiet Jewish kid who turns out to be the one who saves them all, the 'Merican Indian who mysticyle bless's them all with flaming sticker bushes or some crap, then goes off and charges the machine guns with a Bowie knife....the shuck-n-jive Black kid from Chicago who can steal anything up to a self propelled Howitzer and of course the wise old combat hardened "Sarge" whose been in the Army for 79 years and never made it past E-6....

never fails...

seruzawa 07-20-2009 07:31 AM

Goody. I'll put it on the list after the reviews I already have in my que.... The Mini-Skirt Mob, Blood Freak and Angel Unchained.

The_AirHawk 07-20-2009 08:21 AM

On another tack - I just watched an in'trestin' Documentary: "King Corn". These two college-buddies decide to rent an acre of a cornfield in Iowa, and follow "their" corn as it makes its way through the foodchain. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know ('cept that they're "finish-feeding" cattle about twice as long as they used to when Dad and I farmed) about Corn - but they made it both interesting and informative, and essentially did so without showing any real, personal bias.

NOT that there's no bias; they just didn't Mikey-Moore you to death with it.

Buzglyd 07-20-2009 08:22 AM

Between Ken and Seru, I have no need for Joe Bob Briggs.

seruzawa 07-20-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 219241)
Sounds like a contender for Seruzawa's Crappy Movie Award...thank God he'll have to site through it instead of me...

Funny you should mention the pre-requisite cast of characters, just like a war movie: you have the innocent farm boy whose never even seen tits, the streetwise Italian kid from the Bronx, the quiet Jewish kid who turns out to be the one who saves them all, the 'Merican Indian who mysticyle bless's them all with flaming sticker bushes or some crap, then goes off and charges the machine guns with a Bowie knife....the shuck-n-jive Black kid from Chicago who can steal anything up to a self propelled Howitzer and of course the wise old combat hardened "Sarge" whose been in the Army for 79 years and never made it past E-6....

never fails...

Doesn't every single WWII war movie have to have the requisite Odious Comic Relief from Brooklyn? You know, the Dodgers fan who's never had anything except concrete under his feet and who thinks that wild Indians still roam every place west of Queens? Ha ha. Isn't he funny? Snortle chortle yuck yuck.

And there's the dumb but honest farm boy from Kansas or Iowa who shows everyone his pictures of his fiance' Daisy Mae but he gets tragically killed by an evil German sniper. He's in there too, right?

And the guy who was getting out of the Army until the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and his step-brother was killed on the USS Arizona? He's there too right?

Then there's the fatherly but wise Colonel who treats the men very toughly but when alone he wrestles with his guilt over their deaths.

You can tell I've seen a lot of war movies.

SmokeU 07-20-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 219283)
Doesn't every single WWII war movie have to have the requisite Odious Comic Relief from Brooklyn? You know, the Dodgers fan who's never had anything except concrete under his feet and who thinks that wild Indians still roam every place west of Queens? Ha ha. Isn't he funny? Snortle chortle yuck yuck.

And there's the dumb but honest farm boy from Kansas or Iowa who shows everyone his pictures of his fiance' Daisy Mae but he gets tragically killed by an evil German sniper. He's in there too, right?

And the guy who was getting out of the Army until the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and his step-brother was killed on the USS Arizona? He's there too right?

Then there's the fatherly but wise Colonel who treats the men very toughly but when alone he wrestles with his guilt over their deaths.

You can tell I've seen a lot of war movies.

You mean Saving Ryan's Privates wasn't real?!?!?!

The_AirHawk 07-20-2009 10:26 AM

Oh, it was REAL alright.

It was Real.........

sarnali2 07-20-2009 10:48 AM

Don't forget the angst ridden kid whose a sharpshooter but freezes up in combat until the very end where he pulls off a 1500 yard hip shot with his Garand and and shoots the disallusioned Wehrmacht Feldwebel who was trying to surrender, then they all rush over to try to save his life.....

You want to see a good WW2 movie, try to find "The North Star" made in '41. It's about a peaceful Ukrainian village taken over by a rabid Nazi commanding a field medical unit that uses the village children as blood doners for wounded wehrmacht soldaten, draining them until they stumble around like zombies... Absolute classic, after seeing what's happened to the children the villigers rise up with pitchforks and shovels and overthrow the evil vampire! The Germans then send in an armored unit to crush the uprising, with the final scene of the movie being the two young lovers blazing away with a captured MG42 at a Panzer MK3..........

Stirring stuff I tell ya', you'll want to enhance the experiance by chugging a bottle of Stolichnaya and eating beets...

SmokeU 07-20-2009 11:07 AM

MMMmmmm....beets