Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Oh, it was REAL alright.

It was Real.........
Since we're on the topic (which is OFF the movie topic, welcome to MO) let's not forget the guy who accidently shoots his best pal from Boot Camp. And who could forget "Pschyo," the disrespectful GI who threatens most of his unit with violence and death. Good times, good times indeed.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Since we're on the topic (which is OFF the movie topic, welcome to MO) let's not forget the guy who accidently shoots his best pal from Boot Camp. And who could forget "Pschyo," the disrespectful GI who threatens most of his unit with violence and death. Good times, good times indeed.
Ah, but that's from the post-Vietnam War movie era. Post-Vietnam War movies were required to depict all US troops as either psycho or entirely dysfunctional. Why do you think so many elitists hated "We Were Soldiers" and "Saving Private Ryan" and looooved that horrid abomination "The Thin Red Line" by Malik? Did you know that US Marines at Guadalcanal were all morally opposed to fighting Japan? I learned that while watching TTRL.

Be that as it may I saved "Exit Speed" in my Netflix que for when the DVD is released. Nothing like a good bad movie. It's always a treat to see Hollywood depict current social trends in its inimitable fashion.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-20-2009 at 12:41 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Don't forget the angst ridden kid whose a sharpshooter but freezes up in combat until the very end where he pulls off a 1500 yard hip shot with his Garand and and shoots the disallusioned Wehrmacht Feldwebel who was trying to surrender, then they all rush over to try to save his life.....


You want to see a good WW2 movie, try to find "The North Star" made in '41. It's about a peaceful Ukrainian village taken over by a rabid Nazi commanding a field medical unit that uses the village children as blood doners for wounded wehrmacht soldaten, draining them until they stumble around like zombies... Absolute classic, after seeing what's happened to the children the villigers rise up with pitchforks and shovels and overthrow the evil vampire! The Germans then send in an armored unit to crush the uprising, with the final scene of the movie being the two young lovers blazing away with a captured MG42 at a Panzer MK3..........

Stirring stuff I tell ya', you'll want to enhance the experiance by chugging a bottle of Stolichnaya and eating beets...
I'll tell ya, the scene that chokes me up is the final scene in "Bataan" with Robert Taylor alone at the Browning water-cooled .30 blazing away at Japanese while shouting patriotic slogans. Hard to beat that one.

BTW, "The North Star" is on netflix in a three movie pack along with "Commandos" starring Lee Van Cleef and "5 For Hell" starring real life psycho Klaus Kinski.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

On of Our A/C is Missing is a good showpiece for the Dutch resistance, I have it on a three pack with We Dive at Dawn and Spitfire....all three good wartime Brit flicks along with The Cruel Sea and Above Us the Waves.

I couldn't sit through The Thin Red Line, that ones almost as bad as U-571..an excellent movie aside from the fact it was British Commandos not American sailors who actually comandered the vessel and captured Ultra...

How about The War Lover and 12 O'Clock High? excellent 8thAAF flicks...
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'll tell ya, the scene that chokes me up is the final scene in "Bataan" with Robert Taylor alone at the Browning water-cooled .30 blazing away at Japanese while shouting patriotic slogans. Hard to beat that one.

BTW, "The North Star" is on netflix in a three movie pack along with "Commandos" starring Lee Van Cleef and "5 For Hell" starring real life psycho Klaus Kinski.
Hmm..off to NetFlix.

I've seen Bataan on AMC a couple of times, along with several other classics. I like the ones made during the war, they were clearly intended to influence opinion and shape our moral standing during the war.

I recently watched "Flags of Our Fathers," and compared it to the original black and white version I'd seen years ago. Very similar, very different. The new version was far more brutal; the blood and guts were awful. But the CG work to depict the fleet, the aircraft, the weapons/ordinance was awesome.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
On of Our A/C is Missing is a good showpiece for the Dutch resistance, I have it on a three pack with We Dive at Dawn and Spitfire....all three good wartime Brit flicks along with The Cruel Sea and Above Us the Waves.

I couldn't sit through The Thin Red Line, that ones almost as bad as U-571..an excellent movie aside from the fact it was British Commandos not American sailors who actually comandered the vessel and captured Ultra...

How about The War Lover and 12 O'Clock High? excellent 8thAAF flicks...
Another good wartime propaganda film is "Air Force" starring John Garfield. It includes about every early war cliche' and, my favorite part, has a scene where the grounded B-17 crew defends their plane with handheld Browning machineguns actually shooting down a plastic model of a Zero.

As far as submarine warfare goes top of the list are Run Silent Run Deep, up Periscope, Operation Tokyo and The Enemy Below.

U-571 with the ridiculous amount of space in the U-boat just made me laugh and laugh. Casting Pretty Boy Matthew McConaughey as a U-boat exec really torpedoed the whole movie (ba-da-boom!). No one who has seen Das Boot should ever try to watch U-571.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-20-2009 at 02:00 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
U-571 with the ridiculous amount of space in the U-boat just made me laugh and laugh. Casting Pretty Boy Matthew McConaughey as a U-boat exec really torpedoed the whole movie (ba-da-boom!). No one who has seen Das Boot should ever try to watch U-571.
Ya, it vas der Mishtaken to vatch U-571 after "Das Boot"..........

BTW - have any of youse guys ever gotten the chance to go through U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chi-town?

Highly recommended.

I was amazed at the fact that, even 65-years later (and decades of storage outside); you can still smell the salt in and on her. It's also interesting to look at all the equipment inside her, and try to identify its purpose with just a bit of educamated-guessing and a small knowledge of German. Not a whole lot is labeled, BTW - unlike what OSHA allows nowadays - apparently, you knew what that switch, lever, or valve did, or you died.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Ya, it vas der Mishtaken to vatch U-571 after "Das Boot"..........

BTW - have any of youse guys ever gotten the chance to go through U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chi-town?
I did. That thing is INSANELY SMALL!! No wonder they called them "Pig Boats," geez the crew must have been asses and elbows for months. And the Germans, with their kraut and bratwurst...whoof! It's amazing they'd set out across the Atlantic in those dinky boats. The analog controls..valves, big switches, it was all done manually by what, dozens of guys?

U-571 was almost as realistic as "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Brought to you by Dial. Dial, a fresh clean you can smell, and feel. Dial!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 07-20-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I did. That thing is INSANELY SMALL!! No wonder they called them "Pig Boats," geez the crew must have been asses and elbows for months. And the Germans, with their kraut and bratwurst...whoof!

U-571 was almost as realistic as "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Brought to you by Dial. Dial, a fresh clean you can smell, and feel. Dial!
I noticed that they cut-out sections of the bulkheads to "facilitate" tours - the actual hatch-hole is about a third the size of the current passages.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I noticed that they cut-out sections of the bulkheads to "facilitate" tours - the actual hatch-hole is about a third the size of the current passages.
And now you know how a turd feels.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off