Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Videos

Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean

The Story of the Triumph Bonneville
White Star Video
Available from NetFlix, and now in your grocer’s freezer section too!

The blurb from NetFlix says:
“Among the many designs for the motorcycle, the Triumph Bonneville is one of the most inspiring, a classic form that combined sleek sophistication with heavy-duty machinery. This engrossing documentary follows the history of the Triumph two-wheeler -- from its inception in 1959 to the design that continued to be produced well into the 1990s -- with stops along the way to illuminate the model's storied past and many different incarnations.”

Apparently this was another UK teevee show (1 hour) that somebody scarfed up and put into DVD format. The narrator has that classic British documentary voice; over pronouncing every word and using all those weird British words like “bonnet” and saying “caffey” when they mean café. The show had a lot of interviews with old farts who were around the 50’s and 60’s British caffey racing scene. In fact, a good portion of the show is interviews with the OF’s in front of the “legendary” Ace Caffey (it’s legendary because it’s…it’s legendary,...shut up). If you watch closely, you can see a lot of interesting bikes in the background during the interview portions.

The show meticulously covers each and every iteration of the Bonnie, tracing it’s lineage back to the 1932 engine design of Sir John Somebodyorother (cut to grainy yellow photo of chubby bald British guy). Apparently the purists believe the bike hit it’s peak when they still were in pre-unit form, with separate transmission and engine. Others seemed to prefer the frame improvements and increased displacement of the later models. One thing is for certain, the bike has been well preserved, with samples available of every significant step along the way. Who would have thought that corny-assed marketing ploys like making a Bonneville for Princess Diana’s wedding would turn out to be collector’s items?

The last segment of the show looked at the New Improved Bonneville. They had a slightly upgraded old one and a brand new one on a test track. So, which one do you think would be the Best Bonneville? That’s right, the W650.

My kid wandered in and out of the a few times while I was watching it. He said he thought I was watching an hour long GEICO Gecko commercial. Cripes, no sense of history...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The Triumph vertical twin was designed by Edward Turner and Val Page. Turner usually gets all the credit but Page was a talented designer and may have had more input to the design than Turner did.

I don't know of any "John" in Triumph's history in the 30s. There was Jack Sangster and the wonderful Bert Hopwood, as well as Truner and Page.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I don't know of any "John" in Triumph's history in the 30s. There was Jack Sangster and the wonderful Bert Hopwood, as well as Truner and Page.
I guess you'll just have to watch the video then, Ms. Smartypants.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 01-08-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Proper Title
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I guess so!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've had it in the Que for like a month......... I'm gettin' to it - I'M GETTIN' TO IT!

Get off me!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote