Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Videos (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-videos/)
-   -   Win It, or Bin It (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-videos/10125-win-bin.html)

Kenneth_Moore 12-05-2008 05:45 AM

Win It, or Bin It

Troy's Story DVD - NetFlix

"Win it or Bin it" is the catchphrase used to describe Troy Bayliss' attitude during his racing career. Given the number of spectacular crashes shown in this video, Troy clearly is a man who rides with no fear. He has also won a heap o' races, including the World Championship. Troy is retiring this year after over a decade of highly successful road racing, making this video quite timely.

The video is very well produced (especially compared to some other motorcycle DVDs I've watched lately). Narrated by Yoda groupie Ewan McGregor, the DVD is divided into chapters that follow Troy's life. It may have been originally produced as a TeeVee show; each chapter begins and ends with a nice intro and exit segment.

Like most competitors in any sport that rise to his level, Troy began riding at a very early age. His parents were completely dedicated to his career, and obviously made many hours of home movies or video of his early years. He was a demon on the dirt tracks as a youngster; you can watch him passing the other kids like they're on bicycles. The home movies are interspersed with cutaways to Troy sitting in the yard with his Mom and Dad, enjoying a cool beer while they fill in the details. Troy's wife also has her own segments; providing her perspective on Troy's life in racing (yes, she's a hottie, but not a plastic SoCal type, she's very real and quite striking). One thing I learned about Troy from the DVD: he is a "blue collar" guy; dedicated to his family, with a genuine work ethic and lack of ego that is quite refreshing, especially when compared to some others in his field.

The video really gets interesting as Troy moves to the top of the road racing world. He has held a very deep relationship with Ducati, and one of my favorite parts is when he is filmed having a conversation with one of Ducati's chief engineers. As they talk, they are walking through a Ducati musuem, and we get to see the entire history of the bikes. As a vintage motorcycle buff, that part alone makes the video worth watching. Of course, there are many excerpts from various races throughout the years, and some very interesting insights on the intensely personal level the competition can move to.

I'm not a huge racing fan like Acecycleins or Moke1, but I didn't need to be to really enjoy the DVD. Seeing how rapidly and radically the racing bikes evolved over Troy's career was neat in itself. Funny how a bike just a few years old can look so dated... And as noted above, if you like to watch amazing high-speed motorcycle crashes, you'll find plenty of them here.

Ewan McGregor probably has a second lifetime income stream available to him as a narrator (as if he needed it). I suspect he narrated this video more as a result of his interest in motorcycling than for any financial benefit, but I can certainly imagine hearing him doing voice-overs for BMW car commercials or the like in the years ahead.

I'm giving the DVD 4 KlazyKens out of 5. I doubt you'll find it in the neighborhood Blockbuster store, but if you have access to Netflix or the like, or if you want to spend a few bucks and buy it, I'm sure you'll find watching it time well spent.

sarnali2 12-05-2008 06:31 AM

Excellente`, I'll have to keep an eye out for it on Amazon or something. Thanks for the tip Ken

sfcdjevans 12-05-2008 03:51 PM

Stocking stuffer to myself.

Kenneth_Moore 12-06-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 198550)
Excellente`, I'll have to keep an eye out for it on Amazon or something. Thanks for the tip Ken

I like your new avatar. Is that the ship you served on? The Enterprise?

seruzawa 12-06-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 198636)
I like your new avatar. Is that the ship you served on? The Enterprise?

No, not the Enterprise or else sarnali would glow in the dark. He was on that rust bucket old bird farm, the Independence. Although from all the dope he and Cuddy smoked back then I think they really were on the USS Zippo... er, I mean Forrestal.