Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Vendors Forum

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Diana
Registered Member

Default Akuma Phantom II MFR Helmet Review

The beauty of the Phantom II is in its pure design functionality. It’s hands-down one of the lightest lids I’ve ever worn, weighing in at a svelte three pounds of total carbon fiber construction (covered in a UV resistant clear coat). For complete Product Review check out 'Motorcycle Product News - AllAboutBikes.com'
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Nice helmet. However, I've read that carbon fiber helmets are prone to "starring", so I'm hesitant to buy one.

To change this thread a little, I'm interested to find out opinions on the relative quietness of full-faced helmets. I have an inexpensive Vega that's relatively light and quiet enough that I don't need earplugs on the expressway. I also have an older Shoei that is way too noisy. My gf has a nice Arai, but she says that's pretty noisy. So I'm looking for a quiet full-faced helmet. What's the quietest full-faced helmet you've owned? The Vega's only drawback is that changing the face-shield is a real pain.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Yeah!

How about a MO helmet comparo?

Fit, noise and ventilation, especially. Okay, ease of visor removal and hat cleaning, too.

Send me a Shark RSI and I'll compare it to an Arai Signet.

Trent, my research indicates the major 'source' of noise in a FF hat, other than the crap hanging on it for aerodynamics or ventilation, is the fit around the base.

If there is any significant gap, a lot of noise will enter the hat. Just for drill, try rolling up tight a bandana and inserting it around the base of the Shoei.

My melon dictates that I wear an Arai Signet/Profile. 'Long Oval', don't'cha know.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Well, I 'may not edit your posts' at the moment.

I was going to point out, Diana, that the review is okay, but the writer failed to mention the 'head shape' of the hat, whether it is 'true to size' and the MSRP.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The Shoei actually has less ventilation at the bottom of the helmet than the Vega. But the shell is closer to the ears than the shell on the Vega. I believe that this is why the helmet is noisier.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote