Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Vendors Forum

Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Attn: EagleRider Rental Scam!

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but EagleRider Rentals is a vendor, so I put it here. They used to be a sponsor here, but I'm not sure they still are. Not like it matters. This is gonna be a long rant, but check it out anyway. I am not telling anyone to rent or not rent from EagleRider. I just want to prime you for what you may encounter. Figure it out for yourself.

I was planning my trip to Daytona in September of 2008, and was deciding on how to get there. I was thinking of towing my bike, maybe riding down or flying. Well, my wife Jen got some killer deal on a flight down, so flying it was. She also REALLY wanted us to have a bike down there. I didn't really care one way or the other, but it really bugged her not having a bike last year when we went, and shw worked on my as all wives can and I caved in like a house of cards. Anyway, I checked out some people that were towing and it was kind of early so it was hard to pin people down on a price, and the prices I got weren't all that great. I decided to rent a bike in Daytona from EagleRider Rentals.

I was familiar with EagleRider and got a bike from them a few years back and did a story on it here on MO. They seemed like a decent outfit to rent a bike from. Well, I was wrong on that one as you will see.

So we jumped on the computer and rented a bike on Sept. 23 2008 for the upcoming Daytona rally. The rental was for 4 days and was $525 bucks. I wasn't thrilled about the price, but what the hell. I clicked OK and agreed to the deal. Being the trusting guy I am, I even called EagleRider the next day to confirm that the reservation went through and I was assured that it had and I was set to go and everything was done. Cool. One less thing to worry about.................or so I thought.

So I come home from work on Wednesday, which was 3 days ago, and I have a message on my phone message recorder. It is a guy from Daytona EagleRider, and he wants to talk to me about my reservation. I'm already thinking 'This can't be good', before I even called. I got a really bad feeling that they screwed up and don't have a bike for me now. I was already getting primed before I even made the call. It turns out that if they had actually screwed that up, I would have been much happier than what transpired.

So I give a call to EagleRider to speak with the guy that called. He politely informed me that they were charging me an extra $45 bucks A DAY for my rental bike. So now my bill is going to be over $700 bucks! I asked him how the hell he came up with that? Well, he said that on their web site there is a little blurb with a link and I had to click that link to see if my bike qualified for the 'special event fee', and he said mine did. Needless to say I went ballistic. I told him I don't care what his web site says, why wasn't this charge on my bill when I made my reservation?? Know what the answer was??

"I don't know" (remember that one from Fast Times at Ridgemont High??)

Well, I proceded to tell him that 'I don't know' isn't a f&cking answer and I asked him again why it was not on my bill. He proceded to tell me that I should be 'happy' that I got such a great deal on the bike because I was only paying $120 a day and they jacked that up to $200 a day closer to Daytona Bike Week. You can all probably guess how that one went over with me. Happy? I'm supposed to be 'happy' that you are sticking me with your $45 Vaseline Tax? I asked how 'happy' he would be? He didn't have much of an answer to that. Let's say I was not 'happy'.

Maybe you can guess, but I was f*cking fuming at this point. I wanted him to tell my why it took them 5 1/2 months to call me. He said it was their usual 'courtesy call' and they didn't want 'irate customers' at the counter. I told him I am an irate customer right now. I said the reason that you guys waited is you are trying to stick me. You think I'll pony up the cash because I won't have a bike. Well you guys picked the wrong guy. I'm not paying. Honor your contract. He said I have to pay it and they can't waive the fee. I started hammering him again with many choice words, and he basically told me "I'll call you tomorrow and see what I can do" Yer ass pal.

So now I'm stomping around the house with steam coming out of my ears. Jen isnt home, but when she came home I gaver her an earful. She is now pi$$ed too. I tried calling these guys back because I wasn't done. Nobody answered the phone. Go figure.

So Jen found the number to EagleRider corporate. She made the call there and while she was on the phone with them trying to straighten things out, I was on the phone and within a few minutes had a reserved spot on a trailer for my FLH for $350 bucks cheaper(including the F*ck You Tax)than the crooks I was renting from.

I went up the stairs and Jen was still on the phone with corporate. I was yelling to her to tell those crooks to cancel the reservation right now. EagleRider has a 'no cancellation' policy, but the hell if that was going to stop me from cancelling.

Here was the rundown from corporate. There was nothing they could do because each EagleRider is independent. They were fairly uncooperative until I pulled out the Ace Card. Suddenly, they told us they would give us a free rental anywhere in the country once they found out I wrote a story on MO in the past on EagleRider, and I told them to stick the free rental where the sun don't shine. I wanted the reservation cancelled, and they then assured me that they would refund my payment. Good enough. He wanted to know if was still going to be angry after they tried to resolve my issue. Man, they knew what was coming, and they are getting it now. I get angry, and then I get even. What a scam and what a bunch of scammers! Can you imagine how many people get stuck in the ass with this one? I can. Everyone but me. This rant is for those that got stuck and are going to get stuck in 7 days.

So the next day I talk to EagleRider in Daytona again. They assured me they were just going to call ,and they said I was right about everything and they would waive the $45 buck fee. I told them I didn't want the fee waived. I just cancelled the reservation and corporate is refunding my money. I told them I just want to forget about the reservation, the bullshyt fee, and EagleRider in general. The guy apologized 12 times in 3 minutes, and hoped I would consider using EagleRider in the future. I had two words for him:

"Not likely!"

Last edited by longride : 02-21-2009 at 02:45 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Was the plaster falling from the ceiling like it does on The Munsters?

Darn darn darn darn!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Damn George, sorry to hear that. Businesses that try to screw their customers like that won't stay in business for long.

It makes no difference at all in regard to how they tried to f' with you, but $525 for 4 days at Bike Week is 1/2 what Rossmeyer HD was charging back in '05. The minimum you could get a bike for was around $250 a day. I believe HD Corporate had all the dealers leave the rental biz altogether and turned it over to Eagle.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Rental places are crazy. I use to break in Hertige Soft tails & Dynas for this place in Compton called "Moturis", a Swiss based rental package place, since I imported the bikes from Switzerland for them, got the compliance letters from HD for the EPA & DOT, etc. So I got to break 'em in (800 miles in one week).

Anyway I figured I was doing them a favor, by not having some ham fisted dope reving the crap out of a new HD and such, I really did 'em right, stopped and let the bike cool down every now and then, up and down in the rev range, never stayed at one rpm for too long, etc.

So anyway I brought the first Dyna back all nice and clean, and the desk manager wanted to charge me $200.00 for the privelege of riding one of their hogs!?!?! I went ape. So he cut the bill down to $35.00 and I figured that was OK, for having a new HD for a week. I did seven bikes total.

So with the last Heritage I took it to El Mirage and did some desert riding, and a little flat track action on the dry lake. Handled pretty good for such a big, ponderous street bike. I lost the key out of the igniiton (never knew you were supposed to turn it on and then put the key back in your pocket).

The bike looked like it had been run in Barstow to Vegas. I dropped it off in the shop, and the mechanic went nuts! Started yelling in German and pointing at the bike and jumping up and down, then he got on the phone to the desk Manager, a guy named Stephan, and I beat feet to my Dodge and split.

Didn't get any more HD's to break in after that. Oh well, it was kind of a pain, working an 8 hour day, and having to put 800 miles on one in a week.

If you're on the other side of the counter doing rental business, it's a losing proposition, what with all the idiots dumping bikes and blowing them up. I know, I worked as a parts gofer at Hollywood Rentals in 1972. Lambrettas & Vespas (with one Salsbury for the cholos).
Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Thanks Kenny. I don't care what people charge for services. I really don't. If I agree to pay, then I have no beef. This was a deliberate attempt to get more money after the deal was made, and the call was made only 11 days before I was to pick up the bike. The funny part is that the people that are renting these bikes for $200 a day are going to get the same $45 charge! They aren't getting a break. I forgot the part where corporate told me that their computers weren't smart enough to calculate that I had to pay the extra dough when I asked THEM why it wasn't on my original bill. Classic! I want everyone to read what will happen to them.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Brother, you ain't seen me when I get cranked up. I don't get there often, but when I do, it ain't pretty.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Cool! I was going to rent a 1200GS from the local Eagle Rider guy. Now, maybe not.