Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Vendors Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-vendors-forum/)
-   -   License Plate Flipper kit (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-vendors-forum/10029-license-plate-flipper-kit.html)

sarnali2 11-21-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 198020)
Ya think? How much you wanna bet that every idiot who owns one of these things is also running an illegal exhaust?

The Suzuki in the little vignette has a race can and bald tire as the Mokester pointed out, guess they know their customer base eh?

MOKE1K 11-22-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 198020)
Ya think? How much you wanna bet that every idiot who owns one of these things is also running an illegal exhaust?

So what constitutes an illegal exhaust in your guys States? Florida doesnt seem to have any laws pertaining to this, Although Hawaii does they dont seem to invorce it at all, unless of course that perticular police officier woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

seruzawa 11-22-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 198059)
So what constitutes an illegal exhaust in your guys States? Florida doesnt seem to have any laws pertaining to this, Although Hawaii does they dont seem to invorce it at all, unless of course that perticular police officier woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Some of the Utah cities have cops with DB meters. Too noisy? They test you. The ticket's a couple hundred bucks plus you have to have the bike inspected. The UHP doesn't seem to care. I've blown by them with my RS3 pipe and never gotten stopped. Even when I get the occasional speeding ticket the cops never worry about the noise.

According to Federal Law any aftermarket pipe unless it specifically has a DOT stamp is illegal. Most will have an "off road use only" stamp. Like on all those drag pipes on all those cruisers.

Considering how high the fines can be for too much noise I'm surprised the cops don't pursue it more. Maybe because a lot of them ride too.

longride 11-22-2008 11:12 AM

"So what constitutes an illegal exhaust in your guys States?"

Any modification whatsoever to a DOT system that makes it louder or less efficent is illegal. Unless the replacement exhaust is DOT approved, then it is illegal in every state by federal law.

The_AirHawk 11-22-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 198067)
"So what constitutes an illegal exhaust in your guys States?"

Any modification whatsoever to a DOT system that makes it louder or less efficent is illegal. Unless the replacement exhaust is DOT approved, then it is illegal in every state by federal law.

Yeppers. And the penalty is (supposed to be) a $25K fine when you're caught "modifying" or replacing one..............

newagetwotone 11-22-2008 01:58 PM

Do what happens when you crush your exhaust?

acecycleins 11-22-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 198073)
Do what happens when you crush your exhaust?

you are allowed to replace it with a DOT certified unit. I heard the LR has a ceritied unit. Could just be a rumorm however.

acecycleins 11-22-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 198074)
you are allowed to replace it with a DOT certified unit. I heard the LR has a ceritied unit. Could just be a rumor, however.

Yep- typos happen. See what happens when you try to have fun. My ability to multi-task typing and yelling at kids is lacking this day.

MOKE1K 11-22-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 198060)
Some of the Utah cities have cops with DB meters. Too noisy? They test you. The ticket's a couple hundred bucks plus you have to have the bike inspected. The UHP doesn't seem to care. I've blown by them with my RS3 pipe and never gotten stopped. Even when I get the occasional speeding ticket the cops never worry about the noise.

According to Federal Law any aftermarket pipe unless it specifically has a DOT stamp is illegal. Most will have an "off road use only" stamp. Like on all those drag pipes on all those cruisers.

Considering how high the fines can be for too much noise I'm surprised the cops don't pursue it more. Maybe because a lot of them ride too.

I used to be a Safety Inspector in Hawaii when I lived their and people used to remove their aftermarket's, come down let me inpect it, then reinstall it and be good for a year. It was Obvious when they'd returned a week later to prchase a part or something and their it same same bike with pipes.

newagetwotone 11-22-2008 08:04 PM

So what do you do? ignore it? or do you have to call that in? I honestly hate some of the guys with straight pipes on the cruisers, when they rattle the windows in my house and the brain in my head, its a little much. Though there are alot of them that i don't see as a problem, like the triumph TOR pipes for the Scrambler aren't that loud. Then again, people buy R1s for their first bikes so i guess everyone goes over board.