Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/)
-   -   2008 Another Loser Year (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/6634-2008-another-loser-year.html)

jackflash888 10-25-2007 09:28 PM

2008 Another Loser Year

Sorry Japan, my checkbook is going into the drawer again.

What another disappointment this model-year has been. I thought 2007 was such a drag, after 2006 was weak for new models / old model up-dates.

What have we got? If you're a street maniac who likes to hunch over all day, sure, there's plenty of fine race-replicas. I'm in my Forties, (been riding sportbikes constantly for 30 years), and NOTHING has caught my eye.

I own two first-generation Bandit 1200's; one modified. Fantastic bike that Bandit, once you upgrade a few things and throw-away the heavy, restricitve exhaust. Flat bars, Corbin seat, polished rims, Wave rotors, Ohlins, stainless lines, Yoshimura, etc.. THAT's my idea of a SPORT- tourer. Simple, strong, uncluttered.. and MODIFIABLE! (and ps.. it even has a MAINSTAND, thank you).

Anyway, what a WHIMPER there has been this year. Okay, the BKing looks interesting for me.. but it's FAT (cry like a baby when that porker falls off it's sidestand onto that huge tank).. and it looks like the Hamamatsu boys had a bad acid-party one night to create that styling. (Is that a FAIRING, Ryoke, or are you just Jpanaese glad to see me?. Besides, I just don't really need 180 horsepower, thanks. I've HAD it with high-speed chases and New York State Trooper hassles.

Sprint 1050 is close,.. REAL close.. but needs a tweak or two before I'll write a check. Drop a little WEIGHT please, and maybe boost 'er up to 1100 or 1200.

I really liked the SV 1000, but Suzuki got it wrong with the droopy-dog fairing haging over the front, and the seating position was just a TAD too race-crouchy. That's another bike that came really close.. but looks like it's GONE now. Too Bad.

Also gone Honda 919, which should have gotten a style improvement and more cc's.

The FZ1 continues to look like an inside-out Electrolux. Plug-ugly. Give me an FZ6 with 1200cc's please.

And the VFR is ... well, a VFR. I already HAVE a refrigerator, thank you.

So I don't know... traction control? Fly-by-wire? Gimmicks.. Gee-Gaws.

BUT- one tiny spark came through out of the Tokyo show: A Honda CB1100R concept bike, based on their endurance racer. Half-fairing, red tubular frame, AIR COOLED four; minimalist, light, sporty-yet-versatile, and up-gradeable (I want to choose my OWN handlebars, thanks).
A stripped-down GT.

Yes, please.

trenttheuncatchable 10-26-2007 08:37 AM

There's always someone complaining about something.

Since you like the Bandit, you can get the latest version as a 1250 with or without ABS.

And that SV1000S can be made more comfortable with risers.

Sure, you can always find something to complain about. But, in my opinion, there are way more reasons to salivate. And that Street Triple is looking mighty good.

longride 10-26-2007 08:48 AM

I think what he is talking about is a general lack of innovative products in the current MC industry. I would have to agree with him. Very few are taking any chances, Triumph being one of the few exceptions. I'd love to see Honda step up to the plate again and drive the market forward instead of following what everyone else is doing. I see the new bike market as boring also. I would like a new bike, but nothing hits me right now.

The_AirHawk 10-26-2007 08:50 AM

I hear Harley-Davidson has a couple of new bikes out.

longride 10-26-2007 08:57 AM

They might, but the one I am waiting for them to make, still ain't here. The other ones they have bore me.

seruzawa 10-26-2007 09:03 AM

Harley can...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 171986)
I hear Harley-Davidson has a couple of new bikes out.

... get way with it because HD trades on a lack of change. Their buyers want HD to remain the same. The raison de' etre' for the Japanese has always been their loud mouthed claims about their innovation and "pushing the envelope". About all Honda's done the last ten years is push the corporate golden parachute. Apparently "pushing the envelope" means adding a steering damper these days or hawking MX bikes that only sponsored riders can afford to keep running. No thanks. This year we got all the claims but once again it's BS. Kawasaki comes out with the Versys. Suzuki... the BKing. And those two are much smaller bike companies than Yammer or Honduh. Honduh reduces their lineup. That's it. Everything else is repackaged same-o same-o.

But I can't blame the Japanese too much. Apparently all the buyers want are bikes that feed their fantasies of being Marlon Brando or Kenny Roberts. Poser bikes rule the market. Cruisers and race replicas. Ho hum.

sarnali2 10-26-2007 09:05 AM

Dude, you already have a Bandit, WTF else is there?

seruzawa 10-26-2007 09:19 AM

You have to ask?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 171991)
Dude, you already have a Bandit, WTF else is there?

Catherine Zeta Jones. In chaps. Only. On a cold day.

trenttheuncatchable 10-26-2007 09:48 AM

What kind of innovation are bikers looking for? I see innovation happening, even if it isn't always the 'leaps and bounds' kind. Like (technology) slipper clutches, ABS as an option, (new bikes) the Ninja 650, the redesign on the 2008 Ninja 250.

I love Hondas. Even so, if I were to complain about them, I could lament about the Blackbird not being sold in the U.S., or the lack of fuel injection on their cruisers. But I can switch to a 'Busa or a ZX14 if I want to. And there are other cruisers available that are fuel injected. So it's not like I don't have choices.

And if a bike is discontinued, it's a pretty good bet that it or something like it will be back in production in a few years (like the Bandit, for example).

Even Harley has made their bikes better, and Buell is coming out with the 1125R.

The only thing I could use is more money to spend on bikes! :rolleyes:

longride 10-26-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 171996)

Even Harley has made their bikes better,......

They have? No f&cking way! :-D