Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Bike Alert, proximity device.

Just got a call from a fellow paraplegic, who was injured on his CBR600 a few years ago, by some nitwit in a car who wasn't paying attention.

Seems that his brother, a guy by the name of Ryan Orefice, has designed a proximity device named "Bike Alert" for cars and motorcycles, that alerts the driver or rider when a motorcycle/car is close by, with a flashing icon (of a car/bike) displayed on the instrument panel.

This is big stuff, as Progressive insurance has already offered to cut the rate of a vehicle so equipped by 25%. Reported value of this device is said to be at least 20 million dollars.

So when this device is the topic of every motorcycle and car magazine next month, you can say you heard it first on MO.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default iNTERSTING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Just got a call from a fellow paraplegic, who was injured on his CBR600 a few years ago, by some nitwit in a car who wasn't paying attention.

Seems that his brother, a guy by the name of Ryan Orefice, has designed a proximity device named "Bike Alert" for cars and motorcycles, that alerts the driver or rider when a motorcycle/car is close by, with a flashing icon (of a car/bike) displayed on the instrument panel.

This is big stuff, as Progressive insurance has already offered to cut the rate of a vehicle so equipped by 25%. Reported value of this device is said to be at least 20 million dollars.

So when this device is the topic of every motorcycle and car magazine next month, you can say you heard it first on MO.
Can we put one on a bike slaved to some claymores?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Or how about that South African active defense system that uses flamethrowers?

What about the backblast with the claymores? Kind of hard on the chrome.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I get a hard on every time I get near a bike. Is that kind of the same thing?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I get a hard on every time I get near a bike. Is that kind of the same thing?
Too much information.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Wow Mr. Cuddy, that is a great idea! As much as I hate seeing the government meddle with our lives, anybody who rides knows we're simply invisible to cagers. I'll never forget hearing that nice old lady saying "I never saw him" over and over as I lay mangled under the equally mangled HD. It's odd, but I actually felt sorry for her, she knew she'd f'd me up bad.

So what's the technology? Is it some sort of transponder/receiver device?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

A pocket full of 1 inch ball bearings work just as well and they're cheap as chips.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Just the very act of a person wanting this installed on their auto proves they probably don't need it.

This needs installed on the people who would resist it and resent the presence of such a device. Perhaps if this flashing-light was bright enough, it might not be ignored. Maybe, you could make it if the light was ignored long-enough, a giant boxing-glove would explode out of the steering-wheel and punch the driver in the kisser three or four times, with a pre-recorded voice blaring "Pay Attention, Asshat!" or something.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
A pocket full of 1 inch ball bearings work just as well and they're cheap as chips.
Yeah, but then there's that whole "Assault with a deadly weapon" thing. I know, picky, picky, picky.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default You can't imagine how bad it is...

..to be so totally phucked up by some a hole who was in a hurry, or maybe did it on purpose. I've squashed all thoughts of revenge and mahem against my transgressor, and hope that with time I can get use to the way my body operates (or doesn't).

But the worse thing is what I've done to my wife, she didn't sign up for this, and just to think everything can go straight to hell for riding a street bike, to me is hard to take, after riding so long (35+ years) without injury.

But there are times when I eyeball my old FN49 sitting in the rifle rack, and wonder what kind of hole a Hungarian 7.92x57 AP round makes in a certain SUV drivers head. Then I let it go...ain't worth it.