Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

And my Connie has 54,000 trouble free miles. No final drive destruction here.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
And my Connie has 54,000 trouble free miles. No final drive destruction here.
Just give it Time, just give it Time...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
maladg
Registered Member

Default Hee Hee

I love you Beemer bashers. Serves me right..after all I detest ALL things Kruiser.

Sorry Seru and Longride...no final drive failures on my R12RT yet. I'll keep trying!!

No rumors of significant changes at BMW ON mag for '08. Maybe news next month or so.

For those who actually want to know the scoopage on drive failures (as opposed to goofball musings) - you fellows are right that there are too many and not excusable - see Paul Glaves's in depth article in ON a couple of months ago. Changes in bearings, suppliers, lubricants & procedures. I'll leave it at that as I have lots better things to do than fling dung with you goofballs.

Signed,
The unlogged in Bloviator.

PS - I hope you all HATE our Mini S.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Goofball musing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladg View Post
I love you Beemer bashers. Serves me right..after all I detest ALL things Kruiser.

Sorry Seru and Longride...no final drive failures on my R12RT yet. I'll keep trying!!

No rumors of significant changes at BMW ON mag for '08. Maybe news next month or so.

For those who actually want to know the scoopage on drive failures (as opposed to goofball musings) - you fellows are right that there are too many and not excusable - see Paul Glaves's in depth article in ON a couple of months ago. Changes in bearings, suppliers, lubricants & procedures. I'll leave it at that as I have lots better things to do than fling dung with you goofballs.

Signed,
The unlogged in Bloviator.

PS - I hope you all HATE our Mini S.
Try on out to Utah sometime. I've got some roads that will put that hub to the test!

I'll have you know that one of my riding buddies has 7 (count 'em 7) BMWs and the amount of time and money he spends keeping em' running would keep a fleet of a 20 Kawazookihonahas on the road with ease. I have no problem with BMWs, but I wouldn't buy an 1150.. give me the R1100R any day.

I'll bet that they'll find that someone on the assembly line has been putting the hubs together incorrectly. My friend had a blown hub on one of his Beemers and his mechanic discovered that the hub hadn't been pressed properly. Wouldn't be the first example of sabotage by a disgruntled employee. Remember that the Germans are being "encouraged" to work more than their usual 35 hours per week. You know how well such things go over with those union guys.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #25
Freedomcoach
Registered Member

You know if I didn't know any better I'd say y'all have something against BMW's and their riders. I'm on my third BMW, I've had a 1979 R100RS a 1986 K100RS and now a 1996 K1100RS. I've logged over 150,000 miles on them and I've NEVER been stranded. They are reliable bikes. I have also had 3 Honda's and ridden many other bikes and I prefer a BMW.

I recently took a test ride on a K1200S and if you haven't ridden one you need too. Gives you a whole new perspective on BMW's.
Freedomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomcoach View Post
You know if I didn't know any better I'd say y'all have something against BMW's and their riders. I'm on my third BMW, I've had a 1979 R100RS a 1986 K100RS and now a 1996 K1100RS. I've logged over 150,000 miles on them and I've NEVER been stranded. They are reliable bikes. I have also had 3 Honda's and ridden many other bikes and I prefer a BMW.

I recently took a test ride on a K1200S and if you haven't ridden one you need too. Gives you a whole new perspective on BMW's.
Pulled this off the BMW LT forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Bigfoot;
I normally won't post on the list anymore but this one I have to respond to; Are you saying we should keep a spare final drive around just in case?

If you're hours from the closest dealer, and you're committed to keeping the LT, it makes good sense to have an extra rear drive around. I keep an extra drive boxed up and leave it with a friend when I travel. Should I break down on the road, I at least know I can have the box overnighted to me. How many dealers (even if I were to break down near one!) would have a drive or bearings needed to fix an '01 LT in stock? I don't want to have to wait several days for a fix. The extra drive in my possession will insure that I'd only lose a day if I break down on the road.

If your LT is an 02 or newer, the complete drives found on Ebay for $300 are a real bargain! Rear drives for the 99-01 LT's are harder to come by...that's even more reason to find a spare!

Regards,

Looks like their BMW experience differed quite a bit from yours. Just because your particular ones didn't break doesn't mean they aren't breaking. These guys weren't isolated cases. BMW obviously has a problem with this issue. I would imagine a BMW fan like yourself would want it fixed. I know I would.

Last edited by longride : 09-21-2007 at 06:36 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #27
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And that's the thing, no one is bashing BMW owners or people that like Beemers. It's more of taking shots at a company that refuses to acknowledge that there are some rather blatant issues with some of their bikes.

And since BMW charges a premium for their product shouldn't the buyer expect premium service and quality?

Why do people get so sensitive about their bikes?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I know that if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
And that's the thing, no one is bashing BMW owners or people that like Beemers. It's more of taking shots at a company that refuses to acknowledge that there are some rather blatant issues with some of their bikes.

And since BMW charges a premium for their product shouldn't the buyer expect premium service and quality?

Why do people get so sensitive about their bikes?
.... I spent 20K+ on a motorcycle and discovered that the company had been ignoring any serious driveline issue I'd be thinking about some legal action and would not be finding excuses for the manufacturer's criminal incompetence.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #29
gas_pig
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Try on out to Utah sometime. I've got some roads that will put that hub to the test!

I'll have you know that one of my riding buddies has 7 (count 'em 7) BMWs and the amount of time and money he spends keeping em' running would keep a fleet of a 20 Kawazookihonahas on the road with ease. I have no problem with BMWs, but I wouldn't buy an 1150.. give me the R1100R any day.

I'll bet that they'll find that someone on the assembly line has been putting the hubs together incorrectly. My friend had a blown hub on one of his Beemers and his mechanic discovered that the hub hadn't been pressed properly. Wouldn't be the first example of sabotage by a disgruntled employee. Remember that the Germans are being "encouraged" to work more than their usual 35 hours per week. You know how well such things go over with those union guys.
Those Kawazookihonahas sure sound cool! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any dealers near me at this time.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #30
bbtowns
Founding Member

There are quite a few rumors out there about the new R1200GS, but I have no idea if they're true so hate to repeat them. And yeah, a final drive that never needed an oil change seemed to good to be true.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote