Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 07-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
pdad13
Founding Member

Default New Buell, Rotax-Powered?

This should be a good one. I'm donning my fire-retardant suit already.

Saw on another board; From Motorrad in Germany:

Buell has already sent out invites for a "special presentation" after the races on Sunday. There are two prevailing rumors:

1. A street-going version of the XBRR race bike, air-cooled, making about 120 HP, weighing about 375lbs. dry.

2. And here's the biggie: A new model with a Buell/Rotax-designed 1200cc, 45-degree V-2 (with dual counterbalancers) water-cooled motor, making about 150 HP at 395 lbs.

Motorrad is speculating that at least one bike will be announced for sure with a good chance that both will be introduced, giving Buell air-cooled and water-cooled product lines (like Ducati).

Possible? Sure, now that Buell is tied up with Rotax with their future dirt bikes. Likely? I guess we'll see this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised to see just the XBRR-derived model unveiled.

Flame throwers on!
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
A new model with a Buell/Rotax-designed 1200cc, 45-degree V-2 (with dual counterbalancers) water-cooled motor, making about 150 HP at 395 lbs.
I'd be quite surprised if that could have been kept under wraps for so long.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
pdad13
Founding Member

Me too. But you never know. It wouldn't be totally shocking if it flew under the radar, given the big news was the Buell dirt bike project. But a completely developed bike? Mmmmm, not sure that someone, somewhere wouldn't have leaked that one.

It's possible that they might announce the concept with a bike to follow in the future. I mean, if they've got a runner, they must have tested it somewhere where somebody would have seen it.

Still, the possibility of a Buell-Rotax collaboration on a street bike has markedly increased since they announced the relationship with the dirt bikes. It's something I'd have thought unlikely before then, so I'm interested in seeing if there's anything to it at all.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...yesh, but to even things up, the design department at Buell will DEMAND that the new motor has exposed hair pin valves springs. Or hand pump oiling. A foot clutch?

Can't rush into this techno thing too fast ya know....
Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

I like your signature. It reminds me of the last time I checked out moveon.org.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
Still, the possibility of a Buell-Rotax collaboration on a street bike has markedly increased since they announced the relationship with the dirt bikes. It's something I'd have thought unlikely before then, so I'm interested in seeing if there's anything to it at all.
Agreed, it's probably just a matter of time.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
Gritboy
Founding Member

Rotax good. Mongo wait and see if rumors pan out.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Actually Buell is announcing their divestiture from Hardly-Davidson, and their impending purchase of a controlling interest in Honda.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

Yahoo, Knucklhead CBRs for everyone!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
bbtowns
Founding Member

This rumor has been out there for a couple of years. A biker I met in on hwy 1 in So. Cal a few years ago told me that Buell would be coming out with a Rotax motor, glad he was right. If they can drop the Tuono motor into a Buell it would be a thing of beauty.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote