Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

As a past Honda fan I've been sorely disappointed over the last few years by Honda's apparent lack of developmental interest in any model replacement at all.

And Honda's crud about "gilding the lily" is about the lamest excuse for corporate lethargy I've ever heard. Considering Honda's resources and history the fact that diminutive on-the-edge companies like Ducati and Triumph put out more exciting new bikes regularly is a real slap in the face of the lazy giant.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #22
crevans
Founding Member

So wait... The only things broken on the VFR are some plastics? It's mechanically sound?

Dude, just take the rest of the tupperware off, get yourself a single round headlamp, and turn the VFR into a (somewhat heavy) streetfighter while you wait for a new VFR or Busa.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #23
rpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I guess that depends on how much coin you have to throw around. 2700 Euros is about 4 grand US. I'm guessing a new Busa will set you back between 12-13 grand US.
yeap. sad but true.

Quote:
It's always more fun to get a new bike, but I also know VFR owners tend to really like their bikes.
I realy do. I bought it 3 year ago, after having a NTV 650 for 4 year and a '97 VFR 750 for another 4 years.
It's a bike that, when comparing to others, makes me think "my VFR can do that, to".
It's confortable, make 6 ltr/100 km, can scratch pegs (and other parts, I can tell you that) and mine is the blue one, just plain beatiful....
Quote:
So how many miles do you have on it?
Is it paid off?
What type of insurance coverage do you have?
How much of the damages are they paying...if any?
How will the insurance be affected with a new Busa?
70.000 km (bought with 3.000, 3 year ago).
third-party damage only.
paid-off is a concept thing, you know...
Don't know about insurance for the Busa. In Portugal bike insurances are different. We don't have the risk thing, just the price of the bike...
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
rpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevans View Post
So wait... The only things broken on the VFR are some plastics? It's mechanically sound?

Dude, just take the rest of the tupperware off, get yourself a single round headlamp, and turn the VFR into a (somewhat heavy) streetfighter while you wait for a new VFR or Busa.
that will hurt on my daily 100 miles commute ....
and my heart to.

for that I would go for a tuono ...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #25
rpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaCat View Post
I wanted to like the VFR more than any other bike on the road because of the v-four motor but I am 6'4" with size 14 feet. I just couldn't make the magazine articles match the reality of the situation. So I bought an FZ1 and use it with oxford sports touring gear for the exact same kind of riding I was planning on using the Honda for. Your bike is pre-VTEC. You get to enjoy the high-speed whine of gear driven cams. Do not sell your VFR or you will miss it for sure.
That's what's holding me.
I realy love that bike. 600 km rides are a breeze and that engine is amazing in smoothness and power delivery, albeit the ovearll weight of the package and braking could be better.
It got some gen raisers, a brand new shock, a give screen and autocomm system and it rocks.

pictures in Picasa Web Albums - rpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaCat View Post
Also, The Busa and the VFR are two bikes that have little in common. Why or How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Busa will be the bike you move on too? Have you decided to fore go Sport Touring Nirvana for straight-line bliss? Or, are you going to turn the Busa into a Sport Touring bike?
have you ever rode one ?
that engine is amazing and it can be made a sport tourer with few things (gel seat, raisers, screen and luggage)
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #26
torrnado
Founding Member

i have a 2003 vfr800a and have put 48,000 miles on it. i'm hoping honda will listen to their loyal customers, and with the next redesign, put some life into this bike! first thing: REMOVE THE RIDICULOUS VTEC valvetrain since it adds unnecessary weight, complexity, cost and service expense and make it a 1000 cc bike, add shaft drive and try to lighten it up, if possible. provide for power accessores and add an option for hondaline gps.

aside from the regulator/rectifier going tits up (and taking almost the entire wiring harness with it--which i hear is quite common), my bike has been trouble-free. i did my first track day last monday and smoked a lot of guys on 'true' sportbikes who scoffed at me in the tech inspection area before we started.

great bike...honda, are you listening?!
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
crevans
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrnado View Post
i have a 2003 vfr800a and have put 48,000 miles on it. i'm hoping honda will listen to their loyal customers, and with the next redesign, put some life into this bike! first thing: REMOVE THE RIDICULOUS VTEC valvetrain since it adds unnecessary weight, complexity, cost and service expense and make it a 1000 cc bike, add shaft drive and try to lighten it up, if possible. provide for power accessores and add an option for hondaline gps.

aside from the regulator/rectifier going tits up (and taking almost the entire wiring harness with it--which i hear is quite common), my bike has been trouble-free. i did my first track day last monday and smoked a lot of guys on 'true' sportbikes who scoffed at me in the tech inspection area before we started.

great bike...honda, are you listening?!
+1 on removing the V-Tec and adding more electrical output. Maybe do something similar to what Yamaha is doing at low RPMs on the new R1s if they insist on tampering with the natural powerband.

I do kind of like it at 800cc though, just borrow some of the tech from the CBRs and GP racing to tweak the enginge for more power. I'd rather have a belt drive than shaft. It's not like the bike is going offroad, there's less power loss, less weight, less to break, and less to maintain. Hydraulic valves would be nice too on the maintenance side of things.

Last edited by crevans : 06-22-2007 at 01:29 PM.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #28
donbutler
Registered Member

Saw in a moto mag here that the 2008 CBR will be a 1000cc V4.

If it comes true, who would have guessed? oh wait i think i know the answer to that.
donbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Well if you saw in a big moto mag that the Honda will be a V-Four, then I guess that's that. I bet you wouldn't put too much cash on that 'fact' though, because it isn't going to be a V-Four. Honda is on love with inline fours. They always were, and they always will be.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Well if you saw in a big moto mag that the Honda will be a V-Four, then I guess that's that. I bet you wouldn't put too much cash on that 'fact' though, because it isn't going to be a V-Four. Honda is on love with inline fours. They always were, and they always will be.
Wouldn't an updated CBX inline-six be cool, though?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote