Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Thats pretty light in compairison. I'd like to test ride one of the Tigers. Recently rode a speed triple and was very impressed. Your Tiger has the same configuration right, a triple?
Same engine, different map. Less peak power but very linear sort of like a rheostat. It's the first bike I've had that will idle along in stop and go traffic traffic smoothly in 1st gear with no throttle at about 6 mph. That saves the clutch hand during rush hour where you can't lane split.

A different exhaust, air box and map and the Tiger will have the same power as the S3 if one has a mind for one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

The new Tiger 800's are light as heck, or at least they sure feel light (462 wet). The XC I rode felt like a mountain bike with a motor. A little light on power for my taste, but it's perfect for anyone who actually rides off pavement.

The Tiger 1200 is right back up there at a claimed 570, so you're looking at over 100lbs more. Hell, it's over 50lbs heavier than my DL1000.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I wished they'd ( Triumph ) make a Superbike why don't you think they havent already?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I wished they'd ( Triumph ) make a Superbike why don't you think they havent already?
They did. The Daytona 955. The mag testers mostly said that if they had to buy a liter bike with their own money, that was the one they'd get because of the ergos. Unfortunately since the triple had a slightly lower top speed than the Japanese liter bikes few bought them. Because, you know, it's more important to have a bike than CAN go faster than to actually BE faster.

Triumph quit throwing money away.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
While I don't disagree with anything Seru said specifically; the liter-bike market is already saturated, hyper-competitive, and extremely difficult to enter and stay in. BMW is one of the few manufacturers with the financial and engineering depth to pull it off, and all they were aiming for was 10% of the market (although I believe they've exceeded that goal).

I have to wonder if part of the reason Triumph is able to knock out remarkable bikes like the new Tigers is that they aren't spending all their resources trying to shave 33 grams off a liter-bike crankshaft.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
While I don't disagree with anything Seru said specifically; the liter-bike market is already saturated, hyper-competitive, and extremely difficult to enter and stay in. BMW is one of the few manufacturers with the financial and engineering depth to pull it off, and all they were aiming for was 10% of the market (although I believe they've exceeded that goal).

I have to wonder if part of the reason Triumph is able to knock out remarkable bikes like the new Tigers is that they aren't spending all their resources trying to shave 33 grams off a liter-bike crankshaft.
Dude! That 33 grams makes a squid the King of the Burger Barn.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Dude! That 33 grams makes a squid the King of the Burger Barn.
Duh!! if you can't feel the 33 grams then you may as well ride a Hardly....

The 5.6 grams lighter valve train alone makes all the difference in the world!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

They seemed to have had some success with the 675, maybe time will tell. I hope its just a matter of time, heck look at John Britton he did it in his garage! By himself!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
heck look at John Britton he did it in his garage! By himself!
And now he's dead. Great.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The wifey was supposed to get the VBritton legal for the street but never came true. Now that would be a collectors bike.