Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default 2012 VStrom

Suzuki has announced a new version of the 650 VStrom. It's been pretty contentious on the boards; some people are very disappointed that it's "Bold New Plastics," others are happy they kept the basic platform and added some new features (new guage package, standard ABS, tweaked suspension, etc.). Those who were hoping for a "VStrom 800" were seriously disappointed; the engine is unchanged from previous years barring a re-map of the EFI.

Suzuki's marketing was really weird; they had a "teaser" campaign going on their website for weeks promising a "New Mid-Range Model." The fact that the "new" bike is the same old bike made them look pretty goofy, especially when the promised public reveal date came and went. It was at least a week after the initial promise date that the bike was actually shown.

I'd like to post a link to the new bike, but for some reason, Suzuki actually took down the annoucement pages they had for the new bike!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

It looks a heck of a lot like the (probably a lot better!) Tiger 800.

Here's a linky to motorcycledaily.com: New Suzuki V-Strom 650 Pictures and Specifications Hit the Web « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Dennis Chung
Motorcycle.com Staff

The information was mistakenly placed on an accessible area of Suzuki's global website. Unlike other "leaks" from manufacturers, this appears to be an actual flub, which is why the information was taken down.

Suzuki's teaser campaign for this was a little odd. Each snippet revealed just a hint of the final product and a promise of more information by a different date. Most people assumed each date was for the official reveal but it really just referred to the next teaser. There was actually a new teaser released later the day the official info got out. The real unveiling wasn't supposed to be until next week.

Here's our post about it including additional pictures:
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Leaked | Motorcycle Blog: The Sidecar

- MO Designated Newbie and News Monkey
Dennis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Really, how much more exciting can they make a basic bike?

What were all the complainers expecting from an entry level machine?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

If they squeeze 85 hp out of the bike does it matter if they enlarge the motor? It's surely plausable to do so. If that's the case the only other significant change would be to give the suspension longer travel and a 21in front hoop.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

If the prices are anywhere near each other, there's no doubt I would jump on the Triumph. C'mon, Suzuki! Is this the best you can do, after a year of not importing new bikes?!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Ah, the power of PR. Unfortunately it only goes so far and people in general just aren't that stupid. Maybe all this hype will go down with the other notable Suzuki PR blunder of celebrating 50 years of the Charter.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ah, the power of PR. Unfortunately it only goes so far and people in general just aren't that stupid. Maybe all this hype will go down with the other notable Suzuki PR blunder of celebrating 50 years of the Charter.
Don't get all pis$$y about The Big Charter in California party just because you weren't invited to it.

It went off...
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Suzuki's real strategy is to keep the 650 cheap but engaged in the marketplace while they put the finishing touches on the new VStrom 1350. This "MultiStrada Killer" will have fully adjustable Ohlins suspension, full engine and traction control systems, come standard with ABS, aluminium luggage, two windscreens, a bike-specific Garmin GPS system with Bluetooth and 6 USB ports, and have options for 17, 19, or 21 inch wheels (mag or spoke). The bike will retail for under $12,000.

Tomorrow, Olivia Wilde will be visiting my garage to wash and wax my bike and Mini in a thong bikini. I'll snap some photos for y'all.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Looks like a nice enough bike, a guy at work puts a lot of miles on his with no complaints. I'd take the Triumph just because I'm a snob but that's beside the point, I think this would make a good all-rounder

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote