Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Into the gates of Production Hell

Well the die has been cast, and the paperwork has been submitted.

Moto-Chair is the new DBA by yours truly that will start taking orders for gasoline powered wheel chairs, built along the lines of the prototype (that you can see in action in the Blogs section of this fine e publicaiton) once all the necessary graft, taxes and paperwork has been accepted and approved.

We had many interested inquiries at the Easy Rider show last weekend. Folks who wanted to purchase a gas powered chair for a paralyzed son, brother, uncle, friend, etc. That, along with other interest in the product made us decide to take the plunge.

The cost of a basic turn-key model is right around four grand, give or take a few bucks. Not that much when considering the smile factor on a downed bikers face when they get to twist the throttle again. A decent wheelchair is right around three grand LESS a motor btw.

The accessory list is endless. It all depends on the buyers imaginaiton. The ad on superhunky.com should be up in a week or so, after the paperwork is all squared away, in Arizona of course.

I balked at first, not wanting to start up a new company in this tenious economy, but since it's on per-order basis, no inventory or big overhead costs come into play.

In a few years who knows? A wheelchair race series?

You run over the nicest people on a Moto-Chair.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

A Morbo-Chair?!?! That's cool Matt!

Any concerns about CARB, DOT, or the rest of those idiots?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Awesome (to use an already overused word)!

I wish you the best of luck, Matt!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Egads! Lawsuits! Personal Injury Lawers!

Thanks guys, Morb, no EPA or DOT on a wheelchair (yet at least). If we keep it a cottage industry with just a few units out the door, I hope we don't attract the gaze of the Federalies. That's also why it's being done in Arizona, California would have me in Pelican Bay bunking with Monster D for doing such a unspeakable act, such as installing a GASOLINE motor in a handicap device. Diane Fienstein would personally wack my pee pee for even thinking about it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

You'll need marketing and sales help. Just tell me when I start?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Outstanding Matt, really....... to ad an overused cliche`; "when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

That's really cool!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Matt your an inspiration to anyone in a chair, would love to see if my father would board one of these Moto-chairs. Although hes probably to old now I'v always wanted to introduce him to motorcycling.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-10-2011 at 04:52 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Moke, what the heck, you're not a Super Moderator anymore? Damn it..

Yeah, the chair takes a while to get use to how it steers, kind of scary until you get the hang of it. I've got some place that installs mechanical disc brakes on wheel chairs, since the stock brakes suck.

If your dad can work a manual chair, he can work a moto-chair. With all the good saftey accessories we add to the basic design, a good titanuim Invacare A4 or Quickie Revolution with a 70cc motor will run about five grand, much less than an electric wheelchair, and electric chairs, when you're out of juice, you're stuck. No so with Moto-Chair, you just shut the motor off and use it like a regular manual chair.

Let me know if you're interested. I've got one in the works so far. Assembling all the parts and sourcing a good inexpensive Invacare A4 off ebay. They are the way to go if you ask me. Electric wheelchairs are home wreckers, since they slam into stuff, break tables, put holes in walls, etc. (and weigh 300 lbs).
Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
In a few years who knows? A wheelchair race series?

You run over the nicest people on a Moto-Chair.
Effin' A, Cuddy! Effin' A.