Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default 45 Flathead Wheelchair

Was at the Swap Meet outside of Lake Elsinore last week-end , and found a 1967 flathead 750 cc Meter Maid motor, less transmission. Pretty much it's just two heads, two cylinders a crankcase with a giant sprocket sticking out the left side for $200.00. Needs lots of work, but nothing major.

I'm going to de-tune it with a smaller Tillotson, and plug up the exhaust with a huge home made muffler (made from coffee cans) filled with baffles and steel wool. Lind of like a steel-wool air cleaner, but in reverse.

So I figure if I can get the motor down to aroud 12 HP (stock was 1 I can mount a nice sounding HD V-Twin under a chair with room to spare. Run the primay chain to a jackshaft with each hub being able to free-wheel when it came time to make a turn. Like the ratchet assy. on a 10 speed's rear gear set.

Should be good for about 2K RPM and 30+ mph if I gear it right.

Obsessive compulsive wheelchair disorder? Nah...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

With that rig, nobody will notice when you fart.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Photos, Matt! (please?)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Tried the photo deal, no workee. It's an old meter-maid servi-car motor that's painted silver (heads, cylinders, crankcase, etc). So it's getting torn apart to see what needs fixing. Two hundred bucks for an V twin HD motor is a real good deal. If it's ruined I'll just turn it into a lamp or a see-through coffee table.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Tried the photo deal, no workee. It's an old meter-maid servi-car motor that's painted silver (heads, cylinders, crankcase, etc). So it's getting torn apart to see what needs fixing. Two hundred bucks for an V twin HD motor is a real good deal. If it's ruined I'll just turn it into a lamp or a see-through coffee table.
I vote coffee table- end table, maybe. Hope it works, though.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Careful when you 'blip' the throttle!

The torque from that big damn flywheel may flip the chair over!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, the old 45 in servi-car form put out 18 hp. It looks so cool without the primary case, transmission, just the motor with the finned cam case cover & the little distributor on top. It turns over, but I think it's most likely shot. Maybe I'll bolt it to the wall if it costs too much $$$$ to fix.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Yeah, the old 45 in servi-car form put out 18 hp. It looks so cool without the primary case, transmission, just the motor with the finned cam case cover & the little distributor on top. It turns over, but I think it's most likely shot. Maybe I'll bolt it to the wall if it costs too much $$$$ to fix.
There's not much to them, so you may get away cheap.

If nothing else, you can use it to drive all the machines and pumps in your shop. Y'know, with the leather drive belt running every which way.

Or make a clock out of it...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Matt- go to Endless Cycle Inc.. Talk to Phil. Tell Phil that you are a friend and need to source parts. He can find anything. I've know Phil for 15yrs. Top notch guy.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Matt- go to Endless Cycle Inc.. Talk to Phil. Tell Phil that you are a friend and need to source parts. He can find anything. I've know Phil for 15yrs. Top notch guy.
Right now I have to figure out how I'm going to mount it and steer the chair before I dump any bucks into the motor. I'm looking at an Invacare A4 that has a lot of room underneath it (same as the Honda Chair). Have to work out jackshafts, belt drives and how to get an old Salisbury torque converter to fit on the end of the HD crank.

But Phil will get the nod when it's time to get it running. Hope he has a nice brass Linkert laying around...

THanks for the info.