Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default A rash is coming

A rash of articles on the new Sprint "GT," which is the upgraded version of the Sprint ST. No big changes to the bike; probably the switch from underseat exhaust to C-14 style sidemounted "can" is the biggest change. Still has a chain drive, which I think is the wrong setup for a touring bike.

Why a rash of articles? Because Triumph flew a bunch of moto-journos to Ireland to test the bike. And when a bike maker flies motorcycle journalists to a place like Ireland to test a bike, they respond by writing reviews. The Ducati MultiStrada was a fine example; I think I read 5 articles from writers who went to a South Pacific island for a ride on the new bike. I suppose it's "just part of the game," but I have to wonder how critical a writer is going to be of an company who just handed them an expenses-paid motorcycle vacation. In the end I suppose it's harmless, as long as readers put the information given (or omitted) in context.

The Rider writer (hah!) did blurt out that his thighs were roasted by the 1050 engine. And he didn't like how the muffler hid the rear wheel. So there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Complaining about engine heat has become old-hat now since they started letting Nancies ride bikes.

You are sitting on top of a large internal combustion engine.....it's going to get warm. Deal with it or buy a Toyota.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

As long as it has a silky smooth tranny or beefy forks who cares about engine heat?

Spoon on some sticky buns and enjoy thumbing the starter!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Complaining about engine heat has become old-hat now since they started letting Nancies ride bikes.

You are sitting on top of a large internal combustion engine.....it's going to get warm. Deal with it or buy a Toyota.
Real men have oval burn scars on their inner ankles.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Good Points KM

I also wonder if our beloved moto-journos remain objective when reviewing bikes/products. Does anyone have any real insight on how product development is done? Just curious. I love the Triumphs but now as an old man I can't get past the no shaft drive offering. (My own personal preference).It must be said that MO seems to do a better job than most however any research requires a certain level of skepticism.

Last edited by jmdonald : 06-29-2010 at 09:24 AM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

As I recall Triumph at one time said that they were aware of the heat and shaft drive issues but that they were building a sport-oriented bike and that's just the way it is. If people want brobdignagian pig barges masquerading as sport tourers then there are several Japanese and German models to choose from.

Back in the 60s the few bike mags were all industry promo arms until the rise of the old Cycle World. Now it looks more and more like that time is back. The mags still religiously ignore the issue of 4-stroke MX bike durability. It's almost like collusion to keep the truth from the public so that people will pony up $9K for bikes than need expensive rebuilds regularly.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Although I have a bias, since I've owned Sprints since 2001, I think the new bike is a ploy to distance the Sprint from a new Daytona. I like the GT. However, I'll withhold my vote until I finally see one.

The GT style fits the Touring niche better than the SPORT-touring one. The ST was, I think, a bit too 'sporty' and would steal Daytona buyers.

And, all things being equal, I'd rather have a belt drive than a shaftie.

I gotta say, though; the chain on my ST's have been a non-issue. Especially since I discovered Dupont Dry Film Lube. Works great, and doesn't mung up the ass-end of the bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default More Good Points

I gotta say, though; the chain on my ST's have been a non-issue. Especially since I discovered Dupont Dry Film Lube. Works great, and doesn't mung up the ass-end of the bike.[/quote]

Maybe shaft drive is really a non_issue. I could always have a personal slave put the lube on for me. Triumph has the proper perspective with their offering.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto, the stock Regina chain on my Trophy went over 35k before it wore out. Granted I'm anal about chain maintenance but still in this wet climate 20k is about the best you get. Wet roads and spray sand blast your chain and work the grit inside everywhere, on the other hand tires usually last along time because the road temps are usually low...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post

Maybe shaft drive is really a non_issue. I
Which begs the qeustion, given how easy it is to implement a belt instead of a chain, why don't more bikes have them? Certainly if a belt can stand up to the massive horsepower and torque of a Harley....

Shaft drives fit the Sport Touring catagory because if you're doing 500 miles a day, you probably don't want to be spraying chain lube in the motel parking lot.