Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The change to 4-stroke was driven by environmentalists but that doesn't excuse the deception about these MX bikes. People need to know that these bikes are going to cost a lot to run.
I don't think it's deception at least with me. I'd love it when people would come in and say "yeah but those four strokes require a lot less maintenance". I say huh that's funny Yamaha says after 10-20 hours you have to inspect the crank.

Then I'd ask them if they knew how to adjust valve lash. Which is when they would respond, no. You realize you'll need a variation of shims cause you won't know which sizes you'll need until you pull the cams. And they would reply, "The cams gotta come out"?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
pplassm
Founding Member

You guys are reading the wrong magazines.

I can think of three right off the top of my head that have, for the last couple of years, been very vocal about the costs associated with 4 strokes vs. 2 strokes in MX and off-road riding. Cycle World isn't one of them.

One of the problems is, the factories (KTM excepted) do not support racing 2 strokes anymore. There are no contingencies.

Recently, the XC2 class at a GNCC race was won by a rider on a YZ250 (not "F"). Yamaha paid no contingency money for the win, despite getting the press for it.

(FWIW, GNCC XC2 class is now limited to 250cc regardless of strokeage.)

Riders are coming around. I understand that smokers are still very popular in European enduros. They were never out of style in the Northeast.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

Back on track, I too have noticed that all of the major magazines blast out "Tests" of the same bike around the same time. Usually just after a fantastice industry sponsored junket. Kind of depressing to get three magazines with the same cover every month.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #24
Mightymousesr
Registered Member

Thumbs up Triumph

I've been a Honda guy forever but when I decided I needed a more mello bike than my V65 Magna, I looked over the offerings out there for an "OLD GUY".
I bought a Brand new 0mile Triumph America 900. I love it! Got Engine heat, Chain. Yet I can pull up to a stoplight and look at the bikes that are around me and not see MY BIKE sitting next to me, just another Harley or one of the many Look alikes. I'll lube my chain and gather in all the compliments I get while I'm cooling my thighs off.
Maybe I'll get the CB1100 inline four If Honda decides to bring it to the states, But for now Triumph!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #25
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Altered post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
And, all things being equal, I'd rather have a belt drive than a shaftie.

I gotta say, though; the chain on my ST's have been a non-issue. Especially since I discovered Dupont Dry Film Lube. Works great, and doesn't mung up the ass-end of the bike.
Maybe shaft drive is really a non_issue. I could always have a personal slave put the lube on for me. Triumph has the proper perspective with their offering.[/quote]

Although this post is attributed to me I did not write all of it.I have never owned a ST even though I like the bike. It looks like it has been combined with another members post. WTFO?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
pushrod
Founding Member

Looking back at the thread, it looks like something got corrupted.

Curiously, at about the same time Ken didn't start 'his' "Yada-Yada" post.

I blame teenage electrons!

Back to the chain thing on my ST; I spritz the chain about every 400 miles. No sweat, no strain. The centerstand is a wonderful thing.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #27
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default perpetrated by the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Back to the chain thing on my ST; I spritz the chain about every 400 miles. No sweat, no strain. The centerstand is a wonderful thing.
Big brother is out to get us. I am gradually coming back to the chain drive side of the fence.When I look at the fact of spending 20 plus to buy one of my new favorite bikes with shaft drive and can get two bikes with chain drive that I like just as much, it's something to think about.

Last edited by jmdonald : 07-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Big brother is out to get us. I am gradually coming back to the chain drive side of the fence.When I look at the fact of spending 20 plus to buy one of my new favorite bikes with shaft drive and can get two bikes with cain drive that I like just as much, it's something to think about.
Perpetrated by seruzawa. I was in the middle of moving the political off topic crap to the politics forum when I had an emergency. So I came back later and I was going to clean up the move when I saw Ken's screed about the "Oppression of the Sith" or whatever he was going on about. So I just let it go and frankly have greatly enjoyed the entertainment.

The modern chains and dry lubes make chain maintenance a breeze and after 5K miles on the Tiger there's no build up of crap or shyt all over the tail section.

Shaft drive was trick back when chains were filthy and had to be adjusted constantly and only lasted 5000 miles. Today, not so much. I'm happy not to have the weight and I don't miss the rear end jacking up and down one bit. Even better would be belt drive. But shaft drive has lost it's advantages IMHO.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Nah, I'm sure it was just a computer-illiterate Moderator who doesn't have the balls to admit he screwed up. No biggie.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Perpetrated by seruzawa. I was in the middle of moving the political off topic crap to the politics forum when I had an emergency. So I came back later and I was going to clean up the move when I saw Ken's screed about the "Oppression of the Sith" or whatever he was going on about. So I just let it go and frankly have greatly enjoyed the entertainment.

The modern chains and dry lubes make chain maintenance a breeze and after 5K miles on the Tiger there's no build up of crap or shyt all over the tail section.

Shaft drive was trick back when chains were filthy and had to be adjusted constantly and only lasted 5000 miles. Today, not so much. I'm happy not to have the weight and I don't miss the rear end jacking up and down one bit. Even better would be belt drive. But shaft drive has lost it's advantages IMHO.
No problem Seru. I like shaft drive but you are right that Modern lubes make a chain not quite the messy business it used to be. The Special Edition Tiger is high on my list. If I can manage to keep my job this year that bike may be my next ride.