Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Granted I have no need or desire for something so small, other then possibly to let the kids play on it, but if I did, I'd rather grab a used low cc motorcycle then pay over even 2K for a scooter. In my neck of the woods, if someone is riding something like these, or anything under 250CC for that matter, they have lost their lisence, and cannot legally operate anything else with a motor.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Well Harumph!

[quote=seruzawa;235777] "See what happens when you hit some nasty pavement while heeled over in a turn."

And if that kid held on to it, and made it, don't you think he'd be a better rider for it?

I think that learning to ride on inferior machinery makes a better rider. No brakes, no suspension, no power makes for some..err... interesting situaitons.

Like I said, the only thing these bikes need is an old BIG flathead of at least 300cc (about 8 HP). Thinking about it, a Cushmans has about 40 lbs. of sh!t spinning around on the end of the crank, a giant flywheel, and a clutch about the size of something you'd put in a small car. That's where they got the power, mass in motion.

And you could reproduce the 2 speed sliding-gear transmission from Cusman too. That's all you'd need.

Look at that Mustang, now that's cool. That's what they're trying to re-produce, something minamalistic, and as a result, cool.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

[quote=mscuddy;235836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
"See what happens when you hit some nasty pavement while heeled over in a turn."

And if that kid held on to it, and made it, don't you think he'd be a better rider for it?

I think that learning to ride on inferior machinery makes a better rider. No brakes, no suspension, no power makes for some..err... interesting situaitons.

Like I said, the only thing these bikes need is an old BIG flathead of at least 300cc (about 8 HP). Thinking about it, a Cushmans has about 40 lbs. of sh!t spinning around on the end of the crank, a giant flywheel, and a clutch about the size of something you'd put in a small car. That's where they got the power, mass in motion.

And you could reproduce the 2 speed sliding-gear transmission from Cusman too. That's all you'd need.

Look at that Mustang, now that's cool. That's what they're trying to re-produce, something minamalistic, and as a result, cool.
You'd probably be a better rifleman too if you only used smoothbore muskets.

My main complaint about the thing is the ridiculous over pricing. It does look a lot like a Mustang, the first motorcycle I rode on at 4 years. But $5K? No way.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeh, five grand is (choke) kinda high...but think of the costs to get this thing California legal!?!?!? You wouldn't believe what the AQMD & CARB testing is like, it's insane. And it costs big $$$ too. California is a badly broken state, crooked as well.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Yeh, five grand is (choke) kinda high...but think of the costs to get this thing California legal!?!?!? You wouldn't believe what the AQMD & CARB testing is like, it's insane. And it costs big $$$ too. California is a badly broken state, crooked as well.
We in the nearby western States salute Kalifornia and it's dedication to sending it's businesses here. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
We in the nearby western States salute Kalifornia and it's dedication to sending it's businesses here. Thank you.

Yes if you would just keep all the dipsh*ts at home we'd be even happier.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Sorry, but the dipsh!t ratio is now about 20 dipsh!ts to one & 1/2 "normal" folk here in the San Fernando Valley. I'm thinking of joining up myself, but first I must purchase a hybrid automobile, and then get my eyebrows pierced. An Obama bumper sticker is mandatory, along with velcro fastened dreadlocks.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #28
pplassm
Founding Member

Why are the footpegs mounted waaaaay out front, when the original bike had them sensibly placed under the rider?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #29
JoeyBee
Registered Member

Hi, Joe from CSC Motorcycles. Thanks to all for your comments above, both positive and negative. We appreciate the feedback.

The CSC motorcycles, we believe, are filling a market niche left empty by the demise of the Mustang Motor Products Corporation in the 1960s. We are doing this with a thoroughly modernized motorcycle that takes its styling cues from original Mustang. We are not trying to compete with low cost imports, nor are we trying to create a canyon carver. We believe our market is different.

We are not building these machines down to a price. In fact, our intent is to do very nearly the opposite. There's almost no plastic on the CSC machines (I think the only place we use plastic is on the turn signals and the tail light). The bikes are constructed of steel (including the tank and the fenders) and aluminum, and we have numerous billet aluminum and chrome-plated parts sprinkled throughout (you can see some of this at http://www.motofoto.cc/california_scooter_company.htm). We have stainless steel brake lines, and custom-designed disk brakes front and rear. The paint on these things is superb. Most who see the bikes comment on their very high build quality.

You might be thinking that I am describing a custom high-end V-twin, and in fact, that is exactly our design heritage. Our other company (Pro-One Performance Manufacturing) designs and manufactures high performance V-twin street bikes, and we've used a lot of our custom V-twin design philosophy in creating the CSC bikes. Admittedly, this is not for everyone.

One or two of the above posts mentioned the original Mustang. A poster over on the ADVRider.com board found the price of the original Mustang and inflation-adjusted it for 2010. The inflation-adjusted price was about $5200, which is almost exactly the price of a CSC motorcycle (ours is $4995). We didn't know this when we established the price for our bikes, but it sure was an interesting observation.

If you have a chance, you might want to take a look at these machines in person. Seeing the bikes in person creates a dramatically different perception than seeing them in a photo. When I first heard about the bikes, I was probably as skeptical as some of the guys above, but when I actually saw one, I knew it was something special. The bikes have that effect on people. You might also want to check out our blog at CSC Blog - The Voice of California Scooter Company.

We recognize that our bikes are not for everyone, although we'd sure like them to be. Toward that end, if any of you are in California (now or in the future), please contact me via the company website (California Scooter Company | Genuine Quality Scooters) and I'll get you a plant tour and a ride on one of our "Scooters." If you can ride one without smiling, lunch is on me.
JoeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Joey, your bikes look great. The only drawback I see in sales will be that DAMN HONDA MOTOR!

Now if you took, say an eight HP Briggs & Stratton with the overhead valves, ran a belt primary to a copy of the Cushman 2 speed sliding-gear transmission, with the crank mounted clutch, and a left-side tank-shift (and foot clutch), you'd sell a zillion of 'em.

It might cost more at the beginning, to machine all that stuff, but you'd have a better product, true to its roots. I hate to say it, but nobody with any smarts on the subject likes a retro American machine with a Jap motor in it.

And I've got a lot of Cushman clutches and transmissions if you need 'em for replication. Might be a fun deal to build just one and see what the reaction is. A marketing tool.

Call me a dinosaur...