Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/)
-   -   New VFR (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/11973-new-vfr.html)

jmdonald 05-21-2009 06:38 AM

Simple

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 214157)
why do you want a liter bike? why does ANYONE need more HP than the current VFR has? are you 500lbs and carry lead bricks in your bags?

Thanks for the reply. I felt my old bike lacking at times. Not much just a little.

jmdonald 05-21-2009 06:54 AM

I also had a 2002

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 214183)
Have you ridden the current version? I had an '02 and loved it. I know a lot of the guys here don't like it; saying it's "portly" and that the VTEC is a bunch of hooey. But I found it to be a really great bike, it was plenty fast, really flickable, and was very sporty without being a torture rack. The VTEC "kick" was a blast, and the intake honk was awesome. With Givi bags it's a nice sport-tourer. The single-sided swingarm and underseat exhaust are really good looking too. It seems the build quality may have suffered a bit, but still, for the money, it's a lot of bike.

I also had a 2002 the first year for the Vtec version. The features you list are what attracted me to the bike. I felt the build quality not up to standard. My bike had electrical problems combined with the fact Honda could not deliver the factory bags that were to be available so I ended up selling it and went with a BMW. I have aways wanted to replace that bike or the concept behind it.Maybe the Sprint is the way to go. I mentioned a liter version of a possible replacement mainly because that was the primary rumour floating around out their. I am not prone to liter envy. Thanks for the input.

jmdonald 05-21-2009 07:06 AM

I will

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 214188)
jmdonald,

Go sit on and maybe even ride a Sprint.

While I like the earlier version (pre-'05) better, the ST is an awesome bike.

And, it was a direct knock-off of the VFR. Except for the powerplant, which is the best part of the ST and the worst part of the VFR.

The only thing I am concerned with is Triumph quality. Any opinion about that? I don't have a very deep pool of Triumph friends to pull from. The dealer network seems robust enough. Not being 25 anymore these things seem more important.

pushrod 05-21-2009 08:57 AM

I've never known anyone that had a serious problem with their (Hinckley) Triumph. They are very well built, and tend to be extremely reliable.

I don't like the bags on the '05 and later bikes, myself.

Mind, there are issues. Fuel fittings was a 'biggie' a few years back.

But they are outstanding bikes. Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced.

When you go to the dealership, take a look also at the Tiger 1050. If I was to buy another bike, it'd be a Tiger.

acecycleins 05-21-2009 09:13 AM

What they need is a lighter VFR800. Update the motor and make the bike 425lbs w/ fluids and you're talking fun, fun, fun.

jmdonald 05-21-2009 10:37 AM

Thanks for the input

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 214212)
I've never known anyone that had a serious problem with their (Hinckley) Triumph. They are very well built, and tend to be extremely reliable.

I don't like the bags on the '05 and later bikes, myself.

Mind, there are issues. Fuel fittings was a 'biggie' a few years back.

But they are outstanding bikes. Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced.

When you go to the dealership, take a look also at the Tiger 1050. If I was to buy another bike, it'd be a Tiger.

When I think about it the modern Triumphs should be fine. You are right about the Tiger. The 2010 SE version might be the one that makes its way to my garage.

jmdonald 05-21-2009 10:40 AM

500 lbs or lighter

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 214217)
What they need is a lighter VFR800. Update the motor and make the bike 425lbs w/ fluids and you're talking fun, fun, fun.

I would buy that bike no doubt. It looks like I may become a Triumph man in the future.We shall see.

pdad13 05-23-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 214197)
The only thing I am concerned with is Triumph quality. Any opinion about that? I don't have a very deep pool of Triumph friends to pull from. The dealer network seems robust enough. Not being 25 anymore these things seem more important.

I'm on my second Triumph now (Daytona 955i and Daytona 675). No problems. I haven't ridden a Sprint but hear nothing buy overwhelming favorable things.

Honda looks like it will come out with a new V-4 model eventually (they did a lot of hand-waving about V-4s last year), but no one knows when that is. Could be next year, could be later. And know one knows if there will be a VFR update/replacement.

mugwump58 05-23-2009 08:58 PM

The new VFR is call an F 800 ST:D

MattMladin 05-26-2009 02:54 PM

New VFR will be a production based model of their MotoGP bike

It will be a true sportbike with a V-4 800 cc motor based on the MotoGP bike. AS the Great Motorcycle Prophet (kpaul, my greatest fan) has predicted.