Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Honda BQR moto2 revealed.

Cant believe their actually going to do it. Woe is me, its a sad day.

First 600cc Four-Stroke "Moto2" Racebike Unveiled In Spain News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-03-2009 at 11:48 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Here's the question as I see it: What's legal in the new rules?
As I know it the motor must be a "proto-type". If it's not a 600rr motor then what is it? How is it possible for Honda to R&D a motor over the course of a summer for "proto-type" racing? Is it sandcast? Is it in-line? It's all too vaugue. Frame and bodywork do nothing to elaborate on what's hiding under the skin. Those do look like steel brake rotors, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Neumatic valves perhaps? Who knows, Iam just going to miss the 2smokes!!!

Knowing Motogp, having a one off engine even though its a regular in-line 4 will still probably get you into the Dance.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-03-2009 at 03:32 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

This being at the tail end of the baby boomer generation just keeps getting suckier, that's a word right?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Yes, suckier is indeed a word. DORNA is killing racing.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's not DORNA alone. Tree huggers and Euroweenies are helping. For some reason we suddenly have be racing "green". Stupid really. Racing is noisy, smelly and completely insane. Why do we want "green" to intrude on our insanity?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
pdad13
Founding Member

Actually, the engine regs are pretty hazy right now. I'm pretty sure that the chassis is supposed to be a prototype and the engines aren't. There was talk of a single engine supplier but that didn't happen. Last I heard, the manufacturers were going to be allowed to run some derivative of their 600 supersport engines.

I know I saw the rules somewhere...hmm...ah, here they are:

"...The 600cc, four-stroke motors will have a maximum speed of 16,000 rpm (for 4-cylinder engines, with 15,000 and 15,500 rpm limits for 2 and 3-cylinder engines, respectively). Adherence to these boundaries will be monitored and controlled by an electronic system, supplied by the FIM´s designated organiser.

Electronic systems themselves will be more limited than those currently permitted in 250cc, which has seen select factories bringing in traction control in recent years. Moto2 rules will allow for data loggers, ECU and timing transponders supplied by the organiser, with a maximum total cost of the ECU´s components set at 650 euros (75,000 yen). No other electronic control, nor datalogging systems, will be present on the bikes.

Moto2 will use standard options in terms of engine and electronics, but will continue the 250cc series´ pursuit of developmental excellence with the running of a prototype chassis -free from limitation. No production bike parts will be permitted for the frame, swing arm, fuel tank, seat and cowling, meaning that these aspects of the machine will also be left to the manufacturer and designers´ discretion.

Carbon brakes like those used in MotoGP will not be a part of the 600cc class, part of the cost-reducing philosophy of the new series. A list from the FIM, detailing outlawed `non-conventional´ materials and manufacturing methods, will be issued in the future, although in most cases a standard of iron-based and aluminium alloys has been put in place.

Moto2 machines will be limited to one per rider, with a maximum of two complete engines. Those engines used in any given race will be available for purchase by rival competitors, for the fixed price of €20,000, in the hour following a Moto2 Grand Prix."
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote