Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Will Harley Davidson, who's only entry level motorcycle is the Sportster, start producing 100cc, 250 & 500cc entry level dirt bikes, dual sports and steet bikes?

Since HD's running out of 51 year old midlife crisis buyers for its big v twins, it's only natural they would want to tap into the expanding entry-level bike scene with smaller offerings, off-road bikes being the first major step. And combined with the Harley Davidson name, this could be a giant market for Harley.

Rumor has it the bikes will be assembeled in the United States, by a well known company who has years of experience building dirt bikes.

You can say "I heard about it first on Motorcycle.com".

Wondering if this has anything to do with all those 598beacons scores they approved for 20k? Naaaah!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Unfortunately, yes. And make it a bit more reliable.
Where have I heard this before,.... Oh yeah, Harley!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

No, I think HD's seen the signs and since my contact said it's market share went from 50% to 14% in five years (didn't check) HD needs some new bikes. This is no BS. HD hired a BIG distributor from the 70's (who's home office was in Burbank BTW)and put him to task on the off-road market, and put he this plan together.

I think it's a mistake myself, what with the economy and everything, bad timing. The Japanese still own the small bore trail bike/dirt bike market. Hard to beat products. HD would be lucky to break even.

We'll see.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Hmmm, branding in young off road riders. Get's 'em to the dealership in dads truck and then keeps 'em there.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #25
acecycleins
Founding Member

Three pages of thread and no one says ATK? ATK folding onto HD would be great. Like the MV move. Stunning, but cool. It's a great time to buy companies and HD must be forecasting some 5-8yrs forward. If they pay MV debt and re-adjust the profit figures south the stock will drop, but the cost of the long term investment will pay off. Buying MV and (if it is) ATK would round out the entire HD platform.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Pretty savy there Acecyleins...of course I can't verify your claim, but...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

I don't see how they can afford to buy anything more. Their stock went from the 50's to under 20.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It doesn't matter if they can afford it or not, or even if the idea works or not. After a few years of screwing up by buying MV and trying to produce small bikes that never will sell, they can get in line with Ford and GM with their hands out for a bailout.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I dunno'... maybe they could get Oblama to enact a 5 year import tariff...say on bikes over 750 cc's you know, just untill they can get back on their feet....I mean they could have it lifted early if things went well...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

See? And it turned out that Frank White from ATK (who sits on the HD board of directors now) went the cheap route and is giving us warmed over Hyosungs slapped together in Korea, with either an ATK or Harley sticker on the gas tank.

Guess he couldn't battle all those union types that would have made a 650cc Hyosung V twin "built in America" cost around $15,000.00.

Betcha thay don't sell many at the HD dealers...