Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/)
-   -   Entry level Harleys on the horizon? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/10286-entry-level-harleys-horizon.html)

BrowningBAR 12-31-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 200127)
Will Harley Davidson, who's only entry level motorcycle is the Sportster, start producing 100cc, 250 & 500cc entry level dirt bikes, dual sports and steet bikes?

I don't think we will see a 100-500cc cruiser from HD any time soon. But with Harleys new business purchase I could see a dual sport/standard design coming from them.

And will someone kick them in the ass and have them redesign the damn Buell Blast!

longride 12-31-2008 09:15 AM

"And will someone kick them in the ass and have them redesign the damn Buell Blast!"

Do you mean put a real motor in it and the buyers will be beating the doors down to buy an 'American' starter bike like they did with the new Rotax Buell?

BrowningBAR 12-31-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 200150)
Do you mean put a real motor in it...

Unfortunately, yes. And make it a bit more reliable.

longride 12-31-2008 10:10 AM

I think it would be much smarter and more profitable to just drop the thing altogether.

mscuddy 12-31-2008 10:35 AM

It's going to be built by *** in the USA and will use imported Rotax and Gas Gas motors, Ohlins phorks & shocks, and will be a two stroke in the smaller models. Remember most of us started off on 100cc or smaller dirt bikes, and that is not lost on one of the new board of directors at HD, Mr. Maico Hissef. Sorry, I'd like to give the whole story, but have been sworn to secrecy under penalty of having me pushed down a flight of stairs while in my wheelchair. "Rats in the cellar Cuddy, rats"

mscuddy 12-31-2008 10:49 AM

And another thing...

It was originally going to be built in China but HD reasoned no Harley buyer would go for an HD with a "Made in China" sticker on it. So it's going to be home grown of various quality parts made in Urrip.

The_AirHawk 12-31-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 200139)
And guess what? He's not dead yet! Though his career is. Now he's making documentaries on the History Channel. That's just one step above rock bottom.... a country & Western performer.

I thought he WAS a Country & Western performer............

seruzawa 12-31-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 200145)
The current generations aren't as large as the boomer generation, so market share could take a hit.

Ummmm, that applies to a lot industries. But not to worry. Harley just needs to shift to golf equipment and adult diapers.

Why not? You seem to see just about everything else in a HD boutique. I'm sure you MOrons can think of other HD branded products for the aging boomer.

longride 12-31-2008 03:56 PM

Taking a hit in market share is certainly preferable to making a product that doesn't sell. They need to stick to what they do best and let the sales fall where they may. That is how they became #1 in sales.

Dr_Sprocket 12-31-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 200144)
I think the last time they tried that was the Buell Blast, don't see too many of those around though on paper it was a good idea. If they gave the bike enough power to get out of it's own way it might actually sell, trouble is the 51 year old mid-life crisis buyer isn't interested in actually learning some skills, they just want to plaster enough deathhead's on their bikes to embarrass an SS Division and go be tuff. That's where Harleys image bites them on the butt, they've always been expensive, now they have all this ruff guy rah rah sh*t to contend with. Turns a lot of people off.

New slogan suggestion:

"You meet the nicest people on a... Harley."

(Insert image of a roughneck with one front tooth missing, cutoff denim jacket, no shirt underneath, and skull rings on 3 of 4 fingers - each hand.)