Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Reviews

View Poll Results: Which bike would you pick?
2007/8 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer 2 22.22%
2000 HD FLSTC Pearl 1 11.11%
something else 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
pcpilot
Registered Member

Question Star 1300 tourer vs HD FLSTC

Hi all, newbie here. Hope I posted this in the correct forum. I am in a quandry here. My wife and I would like to buy a bike to tour the US on. We are both 50, Ive owned several bikes before; a Honda V65, Yamaha 650 special, etc. We are looking for something that will be comfortable without breaking the bank. I know there are 'glides and goldwings but we cant afford those puppies at $20,000 plus.
So Ive narrowed the search down to two bikes, though I am willing to listen to other suggestions too. My close freind has a 2000 HD FLSTC pearl w/a 1450cc engine thats now around 1500cc and less than 14,000 miles. It has had a lot of performance engine work done like pipes and breathers, etc. as well as little extras and chrome added. Its truely what I would call a custom bike. It doesnt have fuel injection and because of the performance work probably only gets about 30-35 mpg. I also have to have the windshield re-worked to fit the extra large headlight cover he had put on. It has saddlebags too. My freind is asking 15K for it.
On the other hand, we were looking at both a 2007 and 2008 V-star 1300 touring bike. All we would have to add to this bike to go and ride would be a higher seatback and floorboards for the passenger. It has a, (whooptie-do), one year warrenty, which of course that HD doesnt have now, and no miles being brand new. They are asking 12k for it. We would have money left over for helmets, leather, etc unlike the HD were we would have to purchase those things a little later as we could afford them. The Vstar tourer got a number of good reviews including motorcycle.com.
I looked these bikes up on the MCbluebook and the HD stck is still worth just over $8000. The Yamaha/Star is $7400. This is essentially telling me a new bike if I bought it for 12K would drop 5K just driving it out of the showroom. How much will it drop 5 years down the road? The HD is still worth over 8K 8 years after it was drove off the showroom floor.
I havent drove the v-star yet but we are going to hopefully this week. This Sunday we took the HD out for a 200 mile spin. I cant hear anything any more and my fingertips are still numb from the vibration. Other than that, it was a rush to ride. My wife was comfortable on the back despie some lite rain and cold. But how would our butts feel after a week of 400-500 mile days? Maybe some opinions from you guys with the time on the road would be nice before we test ride the Yamaha.

Which bike would you buy and why? I would REALLY appreciate some good opinions here as I honestly dont know which bike to purchase.
pcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

As much as I like HD, buying somebody's heavily customized, hi-po engined bike is the last thing I'd want for touring around the country on with the SO. Who knows how well the work was done, and why get a stressed-out stoplight dragster for touring? If you're worried about the depreciation hit on the VStar, buy a used one. There's gazillions of them, many that still have factory warranty.

There are so many other options for what you want to do, it's hard to pick one to suggest. If it were me, I'd start searching for a 1-3 year old Kawasaki Concours. It will be from $5-7k, have bags and the best fairing in the biz, the SO will be comfy, and it is as easy to ride as it is fun.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since you will get to test ride them, get the one you like the best. Money don't mean shyt if you hate the bike 6 months down the road. Get the one you love and you will never look back. That advice is as good as it gets.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
vermicious
Registered Member

Ninja 250! oh wait... I think there are plenty of (certainly more than two) bikes that would fit the bill. Like LR says, it's the one that you're passionate about that you're going to want to keep.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

You can find 90s era BMWs like the R1100RT fairly reasonably and there are low mile examples around frequently. You might check one of those out.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You can find 90s era BMWs like the R1100RT fairly reasonably and there are low mile examples around frequently. You might check one of those out.

Just about any BMW prior to '02 or after would be a good choice. I also love HD's but the '99's and 2000's had cam bearing issues and engine mods won't help that. The Honda ST1100's and ST1300's are excellent touring bikes also. All comes down to which one floats your boat, the way the market is you could get a few year newer HD for a pretty decent price.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpilot View Post
You know, I thought about the Hondas but they are 6 valve vs 8 for the Yamaha/Star. Isnt that a performance hit? For that matter the HD is only 2 valves per cylinder and uses premium to boot. The concours isnt it for me; my style is more cruiser. Having a humped tank is great for super bikes but cant see any use for it on a touring scoot. A used bike may be the way to go here I suppose...
What makes you think a 3-valve is such a disadvantage vs. a 4-valve engine? Ducati has an extremely-stout 3-valve L-twin.

Two intake and Two exhaust are only an "advantage" when you've got to move a LOT of spent-gasses at a VERY high RPM. It's far easier to remove exhaust from a cylinder than it is to get the charge into it in the first place. On a low-revving cruiser engine, it is entirely a non-issue.

Even Ford has gone to a 3-valve for their modular engines, and only reserve the 4-valve for their sky-high-revving race engines nowadays.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
pcpilot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
What makes you think a 3-valve is such a disadvantage vs. a 4-valve engine? Ducati has an extremely-stout 3-valve L-twin.

Two intake and Two exhaust are only an "advantage" when you've got to move a LOT of spent-gasses at a VERY high RPM. It's far easier to remove exhaust from a cylinder than it is to get the charge into it in the first place. On a low-revving cruiser engine, it is entirely a non-issue.

Even Ford has gone to a 3-valve for their modular engines, and only reserve the 4-valve for their sky-high-revving race engines nowadays.
Well, you mighta guessed Im not a wrench. Your right of course about it not being an issue with low rpm cruisers...hadnt thought of that. Sometimes I think too much about high rpms like my old V65. Yes it could cruise low rpm easy enough. Problem was I seldom ran low rpm being 25 at the time and not worrying about being a lawn dart. Thanks for reminding me...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
pcpilot
Registered Member

You know, I thought about the Hondas but they are 6 valve vs 8 for the Yamaha/Star. Isnt that a performance hit? For that matter the HD is only 2 valves per cylinder and uses premium to boot. The concours isnt it for me; my style is more cruiser. Having a humped tank is great for super bikes but cant see any use for it on a touring scoot. A used bike may be the way to go here I suppose...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Money don't mean shyt if you hate the bike 6 months down the road. Get the one you love and you will never look back. That advice is as good as it gets.
Well said. It's easy for those of us who've been riding for years to forget the passion and the excitement that a new rider has when getting into motorcycling. Maybe that hot-rod, chromed-up HD would be a good choice, and a boring brick like the Connie a poor one.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 06-10-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote