Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Reviews (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-reviews/)
-   -   Star 1300 tourer vs HD FLSTC (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-reviews/8390-star-1300-tourer-vs-hd-flstc.html)

longride 06-11-2008 12:11 PM

I figgerd with all the global warming going around, we ain't gonna need heat. I'm smart that way!

seruzawa 06-11-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 186905)
Do you have any idea what that will do to heating oil prices? As it is they are predicting $5.50 a gallon for heating oil this winter. That will mean $5500 in oil costs to heat my home, which is about an average usage for a home around here (about 1000 gallons). When I bought my house just two years ago I paid 1700 for heating. How many people can afford to shell out that kind of money to heat their home at that cost? It will be quite the mess if it keeps going in that direction.

And at $10 a gallon people will die due to not being able to heat their home.

I'm getting a quote on Geo-thermal heating and cooling installation next month (between 25 and 50 grand). If oil keeps going up it will be easier to make the transition as it will pay for it's self in 5-10 years.

So, no, 10 bucks a gallon will cause far more harm than good.

We're lucky because we use natural gas of which there is absolutely no shortage.

There's plenty of oil in Alaska, North Dakota, the coasts, etc etc. But you should just feel good about your misery being instrumental in saving the habitat of the green spotted paramecium.. or something..... anything... whatever they invent like the endangered Polar Bears that aren't really endangered but are listed as endangered because they might become endangered because of the unreliable predictions of a buncha academics who live in ivory towers. You're just a member of the common run of riff raff. You have a real job and earn real money. You are amongst the least important people in society. I've learned this by watching politicians and bureaucrats for over 50 years now.

So, back to work, slave, so that the looters can live high on the hog at your expense. Feel good knowing that tens of millions of unemployables enjoy a good middle class life. They are usually called govt employees. Half your potential earnings are stolen to keep these scum in regular pay/welfare checks.

As long as the fools keep voting for the republicrats they'll just keep getting more of the same lies and corruption.

At least the environmentalists will be happy 'cause of all the people who will be starving in the cold and dark next winter. That's their Malthusian goal no matter what they may say publicly.

Kenneth_Moore 06-11-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 186907)
Just sharin' the love brother, roflmao

You'd think if we're tossing a billion or so a week at the Iraq war we'd at least get some cheapo gas out of it.

pcpilot 06-11-2008 12:58 PM

ROFLMAO!!! :D Its truely wonderful to see a thread originally intended for motorcycle enlightenment degenerate into a gobbledegook discussion of global warming, testicle grids, and "manly britches bits", led no less by many of the forum moderators...I LIKE THIS PLACE! :cool:

I guess Ive already gotten the info I need about the two bikes, espesially since Im gonna ride a couple more Friday on test runs...so, tell me more about testicle grids. Was this some kinky triumph customer pleaser?

sarnali2 06-11-2008 01:06 PM

Yeah well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcpilot (Post 186933)
ROFLMAO!!! :D Its truely wonderful to see a thread originally intended for motorcycle enlightenment degenerate into a gobbledegook discussion of global warming, testicle grids, and "manly britches bits", led no less by many of the forum moderators...I LIKE THIS PLACE! :cool:

I guess Ive already gotten the info I need about the two bikes, espesially since Im gonna ride a couple more Friday on test runs...so, tell me more about testicle grids. Was this some kinky triumph customer pleaser?

We do try to keep on track here.........some folks get it, some folks don't, sounds like you do..

'Far as your bike choice, ride as many as you can and get what works for you and the missus. IMO, the Harley Road Glide would be about the best distance bike and the frame mounted fairing is more stable than the Batwing because it's not effected by crosswinds, throw a Tour pak on there with a back rest and you both can ride to your hearts content. That would be my choice. Try to find a stock one if you can, that way you have a reference point for maintenance and repairs if needed, that applies to any bike, not just HD.. With bikes that have been modified you just don't know the workmanship or quality of the parts, whether things were done correctly or by some ham-fisted clod with a cresent wrench who fancied himself a Harley mechanic. Buy stock and mod it yourself or have the work done by a mechanic you trust either at a dealership or independent, that way you know exactly what's there not some B.S. story the seller gives you....

Take your time and make the choice that's right for you guys.

sachiwilson 06-11-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 186931)
Yeah, nowadays they're called "wedding rings."

Which is why marriage should be reserved for lesbian couples. :)

sachiwilson 06-11-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcpilot (Post 186933)
so, tell me more about testicle grids. Was this some kinky triumph customer pleaser?

Actually, no. Triumph back in the 60s put a welded-wire package carrier on the tank of its bikes, even hot ones like the Bonneville. I used to own a '64 Bonnie (lovely bike, btw), and when I rebuilt it I made sure that I filled in and painted over the bolt holes for the grid!

Here's a pic of a '64 with the package grid:

Alaskan white and vintage gold, as I recall. :)

longride 06-11-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 186950)
Which is why marriage should be reserved for lesbian couples. :)

Fine with me. Why should they be happy?

pcpilot 06-11-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 186952)
Actually, no. Triumph back in the 60s put a welded-wire package carrier on the tank of its bikes, even hot ones like the Bonneville. I used to own a '64 Bonnie (lovely bike, btw), and when I rebuilt it I made sure that I filled in and painted over the bolt holes for the grid!

Here's a pic of a '64 with the package grid:

Alaskan white and vintage gold, as I recall. :)

One of my old favorite bikes. I loved the '65 650. Now Im too fat to park comfortably on something like that. Another cool old bike was the 1970 Norton Commando. An old pal of mine had one back in the day. I'd love to have one of each...*sigh*

sachiwilson 06-11-2008 05:51 PM

I also had a 1969 Norton Mercury. The last of the Featherbeds. It's almost impossible to find a pic of a Mercury anywhere -- they were rare -- but here's a supposed 1970 model (which I don't believe, because mine had a serial number that was 26 from the END of the Featherbed line.) Also, the one in this pic has a terrible paint job - The silver tank is correct but the Atlantic Blue paint on the rest of the parts looks very very faded.