Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Reviews

View Poll Results: Which bike would you pick?
2007/8 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer 2 22.22%
2000 HD FLSTC Pearl 1 11.11%
something else 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpilot View Post
You know, I thought about the Hondas but they are 6 valve vs 8 for the Yamaha/Star. Isnt that a performance hit? For that matter the HD is only 2 valves per cylinder and uses premium to boot. The concours isnt it for me; my style is more cruiser. Having a humped tank is great for super bikes but cant see any use for it on a touring scoot. A used bike may be the way to go here I suppose...
A humped tank? What are you blathering about, man? The Concours has a tank top like an aircraft carrier, you can put a large pepperoni pizza on it and eat it while you ride, whilst nary a hair on your head is blown by the 80 mph breeze only inches from your shoulders. If you're planning on actually riding, Sir, you will quickly learn that "Cruiser" refers to cruising 5 miles to the bar or cruising for Cougars on Main Street during Bike Week.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Do you realize that "cruisers" aren't necessarily comfortable to ride (as opposed to sit on at a stop)? What do you think "comfort" is on a motorcycle? How far do you plan to ride? 50 miles? 100? 350? the farther you plan to go, the less likely it will be that a "cruiser" is going to suit.

A motorcycle, as I say ad infinitum, is a dynamic thing. "Comfort" can be judged only when the bike is moving, because the wind, the riding position, road shocks, the seat, everything changes when the bike is moving.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

We get it, you don't like cruisers and everyone should ride a 599.

Fact is, we see more cruisers on longer runs than most other style of bikes. So, someone finds them acceptable for long trips.

And, unless you get a good size sportstourer, a big cruiser has a better setup for two up riding, especially when you put a back rest and corbin seat on it.

Not saying there aren't other bikes that can be made comfortable for two up riding, but it is easier on a cruiser.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

My point is that people need to *think* about what comfort is on a bike before they plunge into it. Do you disagree with that?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpilot View Post
If you look at the concours from the side Kenneth, it has a "humped" tank, cetainly not the smooth transition from seat to tank most bikes, espesially cruisers, have. Nothing like lying forward on that in the wind and hitting a nice bump to shove the tank in your brestbone. Next thing you know I'll be having paramedics doing chest compressions to restart my heart. No thanks, I'll stick with something I understand. Actually Ken, as much as I like the HD, Im leaning more towards the Star right now. The wife and I are planning to go for a test ride this Friday. The reported cam bearing issues for the 2000 HD model year needs more looking into, though I might add the Harley dealer in San Diego was the one that did all the custom engine work. So hopefully, as one person here alluded too, all the work was done well.

Sachi, Ive been on bikes more than just a few miles. My 1982 Yamaha special I bought back in the Navy took me 3000 miles on one trip alone. I understand that some bikes arent all things to all people espesially when it comes to comfort. Some folks like Ken like to lay on their gas tanks and eat pizza to get comfy... (jk) I like a windscreen to break the wind and sit straight on a wide comfy seat so my back doesnt fuse and stretch my legs out instead of having them curled around my butt like on a ninja. I agree that it takes time and miles to really honestly determine what your comfort needs are on a bike; I do have a rough idea. Thats why Ive asked the questions, and had the poll, from the start here; hopefully those with experiance, espesially with these two bikes, might throw in their input. Soooo, back to the original purpose of the thread...opinions good bad or ugly on these two bikes anyone?
Maybe, how does this bike compare with the Suzuki C90 or the Honda VTX1300? How about a shootout MC.com?
I've owned a number of cruisers over the years (44 riding) and have always been able to make them comfortable, mainly by rigging some sort of backrest. My Harley was eminently comfortable. Currently I use an old Goldwing for 2up touring, mainly because I got the bike cheap with low miles, but I would also have bought a big cruiser of any brand if a good enough deal had presented itself at the time. You are looking at making the wisest purchase apparently. Advantages of HD include the incredible aftermarket, bulletproof resale when you buy used and parts easily available for most any model. Adbvantages of the metric cruisers include..... well I can't really think of any reasons to buy a metric over a Harley except the price. In that case go for an older metric otherwise the depreciation is murderous.

The only way to be sure between the two bikes you are considering is to ride each yourself. A bike that is great for one person can suck for another.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Hey Mods, what the hell is going on with the forums? Did somebody install a service pack or something? The New Posts feature isn't working right, and the chronology of the posts is wrong. Kevin Duke has his hand out for my Premium Membership dues, and I'm sure he won't want to take it if there are these annoying issues going on. He needs the money, so let's get it fixed.

As for you, PCP I Lot, if you expected us to pay attention to the question you actually asked and not use your post as an excuse to rant on about our individual agendas, you came to the wrong place. Have you given any thought at all to what's going on with Global Warming or the looming Crude Oil Peak Production crises? I thought not. Allow me to fill you in...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Have you given any thought at all to what's going on with Global Warming or the looming Crude Oil Peak Production crises?"

Got your bicycle and flood pants handy Ken??
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
pcpilot
Registered Member

If you look at the concours from the side Kenneth, it has a "humped" tank, cetainly not the smooth transition from seat to tank most bikes, espesially cruisers, have. Nothing like lying forward on that in the wind and hitting a nice bump to shove the tank in your brestbone. Next thing you know I'll be having paramedics doing chest compressions to restart my heart. No thanks, I'll stick with something I understand. Actually Ken, as much as I like the HD, Im leaning more towards the Star right now. The wife and I are planning to go for a test ride this Friday. The reported cam bearing issues for the 2000 HD model year needs more looking into, though I might add the Harley dealer in San Diego was the one that did all the custom engine work. So hopefully, as one person here alluded too, all the work was done well.

Sachi, Ive been on bikes more than just a few miles. My 1982 Yamaha special I bought back in the Navy took me 3000 miles on one trip alone. I understand that some bikes arent all things to all people espesially when it comes to comfort. Some folks like Ken like to lay on their gas tanks and eat pizza to get comfy... (jk) I like a windscreen to break the wind and sit straight on a wide comfy seat so my back doesnt fuse and stretch my legs out instead of having them curled around my butt like on a ninja. I agree that it takes time and miles to really honestly determine what your comfort needs are on a bike; I do have a rough idea. Thats why Ive asked the questions, and had the poll, from the start here; hopefully those with experiance, espesially with these two bikes, might throw in their input. Soooo, back to the original purpose of the thread...opinions good bad or ugly on these two bikes anyone?
Maybe, how does this bike compare with the Suzuki C90 or the Honda VTX1300? How about a shootout MC.com?
pcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They should 'think' about what they like and not what we like. That is why there are hundreds of types of motorcycles.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
My point is that people need to *think* about what comfort is on a bike before they plunge into it. Do you disagree with that?
Right, and riding two up on a cruiser is usually more comfortable than on most standard, sportbikes, dual purpose bikes, and sport tourers.

So, if two up touring is his thing, and he likes cruisers...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote