Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Chapter 2 begins

Today began the first day of the next nine years Nicky Hayden's life. After nine great years with Honda Nicky got kicked to the curb. I believe that Honda will ultimately regret letting the Kentucky Kid go, but time will tell. Back months ago, before the "official" announcement I told you Nicky was going. Last week (The reason for my trip to Athens that landed me a speeding ticket!) I was at NPR Ducati. Paul (the P in NPR) told me that during the spring dealer's meeting Michael Lock asked the dealers if they "could live without a AMA factory team if they were to sign an American for the GP team" and the answer was absolutely yes from the crowd. I like Larry Pegram and wish he could continue the Ducati effort but it looks like all the cool swag from Corse will not be at his disposal next season. On the other hand, Nicky has the ability to market Ducs unlike any of those AMA guys in the last decade. I know those Boz Bros may be Cali cool (they both pulled Duc time) but the Kid is like the Bill Elliot of motorcycle racing. Everyone just loves the guy. So, congrats to Ducati for signing him. Congrats to Nicky for leaving home and stetching his wings. Let's hope that the next 4 months of testing have him on the top of the time sheets for the 2009 season.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

"Let's hope that the next 4 months of testing have him on the top of the time sheets for the 2009 season."

Or at the very least leaving Pedrosa in the dust.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Change is good; I suspect Nicky will be glad in the long run.

How's the riding weather in the frozen North old bean? Freezing our buns off here with lows in the 60's. At least it's nice and sunny...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Change is good; I suspect Nicky will be glad in the long run.

How's the riding weather in the frozen North old bean? Freezing our buns off here with lows in the 60's. At least it's nice and sunny...
Ken- it's so freakin windy today that I actually blew off the ride to work. Tele-commuting is cool. Thanks Al Gore for inventing the internet.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Ken- it's so freakin windy today that I actually blew off the ride to work. Tele-commuting is cool. Thanks Al Gore for inventing the internet.
I thought Bill Ayers invented the internet...no, wait, he tried to bomb it!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Today began the first day of the next nine years Nicky Hayden's life. After nine great years with Honda Nicky got kicked to the curb. I believe that Honda will ultimately regret letting the Kentucky Kid go, but time will tell. Back months ago, before the "official" announcement I told you Nicky was going. Last week (The reason for my trip to Athens that landed me a speeding ticket!) I was at NPR Ducati. Paul (the P in NPR) told me that during the spring dealer's meeting Michael Lock asked the dealers if they "could live without a AMA factory team if they were to sign an American for the GP team" and the answer was absolutely yes from the crowd. I like Larry Pegram and wish he could continue the Ducati effort but it looks like all the cool swag from Corse will not be at his disposal next season. On the other hand, Nicky has the ability to market Ducs unlike any of those AMA guys in the last decade. I know those Boz Bros may be Cali cool (they both pulled Duc time) but the Kid is like the Bill Elliot of motorcycle racing. Everyone just loves the guy. So, congrats to Ducati for signing him. Congrats to Nicky for leaving home and stetching his wings. Let's hope that the next 4 months of testing have him on the top of the time sheets for the 2009 season.

Not sure the mighty Honda would admit to any wrong doing on their part,by letting Nicky go. Hopefully though, he'll redeem himself with the Ducati, and become a real threat to Rossi, every race.

Although with all the new talent thats coming up and coming up quick, with the likes of DeAngelis, Lorenso, Dovizioso, and Pedrosa just to name a few. Its going to be an onslot of competition for him to overcome.

All he needs to do is get the bike to his liking and make it happen in practice until the season starts. Wonder how Melandri's going to do on the Kawasaki?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Go Nicky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Not sure the mighty Honda would admit to any wrong doing on their part,by letting Nicky go. Hopefully though, he'll redeem himself with the Ducati, and become a real threat to Rossi, every race.

Although with all the new talent thats coming up and coming up quick, with the likes of DeAngelis, Lorenso, Dovizioso, and Pedrosa just to name a few. Its going to be an onslot of competition for him to overcome.

All he needs to do is get the bike to his liking and make it happen in practice until the season starts. Wonder how Melandri's going to do on the Kawasaki?
Hayden was clocked the fastest in the rain on the second day of testing today in Spain.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Hayden was clocked the fastest in the rain on the second day of testing today in Spain.
I'd say I'm impressed but there were only six bikes on track and Nick has the most to prove. That said, it was a slam dunk that he'd be fastest.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Nicky needs a bike that suits him, and it seems to me like the Ducati will be a better bike for him than the Honda. He should be placing better (if not outright winning) on the Ducati. I'm looking forward to it.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I believe among his first impressions were "... what ever they are paying him [Casey], it should be twice as much". Or that's my best recollection. So appearantly it really is a bear to ride. He has also previously said he would know within an hour whether or not this was gonna work. I'm happy, at least he's already matched Marco's race times.

By the way Marco is already breathing down John's neck, on the first day even. I wonder what the new manager on team Green will bring?