Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/)
-   -   did you hear Mladin slam DMG? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/8166-did-you-hear-mladin-slam-dmg.html)

acecycleins 05-18-2008 01:29 PM

did you hear Mladin slam DMG?

The man is looking for a revolution. He wants an uprising. He thinks DMG is going to ruin motorcycle racing. So, in defense of DMG I was wondering what you think. Matt or DMG- which side are you on?

seruzawa 05-18-2008 01:59 PM

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. If Superbike racing is dying it's partially because Matt and Suzuki have made it so boring. When you add the special rules that stop the race when a racer falls then AMA superbike becomes a farce... or became a farce.

So, DMG is changing things to try to put some life back into it. They should. However cutting the Supersport class was a mistake. It was far more entertaining than Superbike or Superstock.

Heck, local dirt track races are more entertaining for that matter.

mscuddy 05-18-2008 04:15 PM

I say bump up the danger quotient. Run a few '58 Buick Roadsmashers in with the pack, also have live animals like pigs and goats running loose on the track, and an electrified grid section like a bug zapper, if you go down, that's it...ZAP!

sachiwilson 05-18-2008 04:56 PM

Super Smash Bike, eh?

longride 05-19-2008 03:59 AM

So no more cherry pickin for Mat, eh? I feel so bad for him. Just watched the boring race at Infinion this weekend, and watching two guys lap the field again is really getting old. Of course Mat doesn't like it. He's got far and away the fastest bike with Spies, so those to just run away and hide every race. Great for him, sucks to watch.

sarnali2 05-19-2008 05:33 AM

Summer finally showed up here with temps in the high 80's so I was out riding all day saturday on the Dyna.

Probably more fun than watching AMA "racing"....

seruzawa 05-19-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 185223)
So no more cherry pickin for Mat, eh? I feel so bad for him. Just watched the boring race at Infinion this weekend, and watching two guys lap the field again is really getting old. Of course Mat doesn't like it. He's got far and away the fastest bike with Spies, so those to just run away and hide every race. Great for him, sucks to watch.

What are you talking about? Honda's PR flacks were saying that the Honda is the fastest bike in the world! How could they possibly lose?

seruzawa 05-19-2008 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 185226)
Summer finally showed up here with temps in the high 80's so I was out riding all day saturday on the Dyna.

Probably more fun than watching AMA "racing"....

You too? We went from furnace to swamp cooler in record time last week. I went from Joe Rocket Ballistic to AGV mesh overnight.

As far as AMA Superbike goes I find spraying my lawn more entertaining. That and riding around on Zrex. 'Course Zrex is more fun that most things. Especially those boat anchor old Bandits.

acecycleins 05-19-2008 05:58 AM

I don't like the class structure that's proposed, but I get the idea. If you run two pro classes and make it as affordable as possible by limiting the modifications for the classes then more people should be able to run. If Superbike becomes LiterBike and the Superstock rules were used as the starting point then Yosh's technology advantage is removed from the equation. Matt suddenly has to use his talent to stay out front.
My feeling about him rejecting the Daytona Superbike 600 is simply that he's whining because there will be not top dog in a brand new class. He'll have to earn it all over again and he's scared to go against the new breed of rider's that will eventually replace him. So, whine now and make John Q Racefan believe that DMG is on the wrong track.
My biggest issue is 600 Supersport. We need a feeder class and Supersport is great. Like I've said before, it allows veteran racers to run against the up and comers and makes for great racing because they are racing what John Q can buy at the bikeshop. Great example is that of Ben Bostrom and Josh Herrin. I know they are teammates but Josh is a hungry, talented, young racer and in most cases he's hanging tough with a guy that was racing before the kid was in middle school.
Knowing that Daytona Superbike will (in DMG's statement) run 4 man squads is where things get hairy. Do they mean 4 per manufacturer? If so, then that's not such a big issue. Two American Honda riders and two Erion riders make a four man team. But it they mean 4 man teams then things could get really sticky for guys like Attack or Larry Pegram or Celtic Racing. These guys don't have the resources to manage that type of operation. And I for one don't want to watch those teams fold.
If DMG wants people to be on board with a major shift in what we've been used to for decades then be more forthcoming with info and let us understand the formula. If you get the fans to understand and accept the new formula then the manufacturers will listen and give it a shot. Worst case is re-structuring the formula because it busted. I realize that DMG feels this must be resolved with the OEMs first, but if they took the case to John Q and really explained this in detail then maybe the OEMs would be more excited about this shift because they know that Racefan is willing to come to the races and see if it works.

longride 05-19-2008 07:48 AM

I was watching dead fish float in a barrel. It was 200 times more entertaining than AMA 'racing'. Between that and kickin the Knuck to death, I had a grand old time!