Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Hayes thinks Pro Racing is done!

SunHerald.com : MOTORCYCLE CIRCUIT CHANGING DIRECTION

Check this out. Hayes is looking to WSBK for next year. Wonder how many others will jump ship?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"It's absolutely crazy," Hayes said. "Next year, racing in the U.S. is going to be completely different. They want it to be a better show, like NASCAR, where 10 guys at any race can win. They're hoping that gets some of the NASCAR crowd to watch. But motorcycle racing draws a different crowd, techie geeks who argue about it on message boards. They're hardcore."

That statement alone shows that Josh doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I think that the biggest issue with the new format is fear. It's entirely possible DMG will make the new format a better show and teams will be spending less to provide the show. I don't have a problem with taking the sport out of the hands of the OEMs. They absolutely believe that Liter bikes should remain. Problem is we either grid 18-25 bikes and cut off the field like WSBK or we completely change. Well, guess what? Guys like Duhamel, Hodgeson (yep- I think he'll be on board), The Boz Bros, Herrin, Hayden Bros will make Daytona Superbike a show. And Jordan, Emgo, Attack and Pegram will keep them honest. Matt will ride the bike 'cause he'll want the 1st D-Superbike crown to be his last in the USA before going back to take over Australian Superbike as a promoter.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

People like to watch close racing whatever the type. Open wheel racing changed, NASCAR changed, and AMA needs to change Nobody likes to watch 2 guys lap the field race after race. It's boring and it needs a change to make closer racing. Add in lots of money to promote the racing, and we might actually have more people in the stands than racing.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I don't think there is a popular race series out there today that uses boats, bikes, or cars that regular people can actually buy and use. Sure, there is a Toyota label on a stock car, but we all know that's where the correlation ends. Kirk, you probably know: how many race series today use:
A)genuinely stock motorcycles that anyone can buy
B)Stock motorcycles that are upgraded beyone the means (or desire) of the average purchaser to achieve
C)Bikes that bear no relationship at all to real motorcycles we can buy.

Next question: does anybody really buy a bike these days because it won on Sunday? I bought my 75 RD350 because "it won at Daytona," but unless you're really dedicated, just keeping track of all the series makes it hard to figure out what's what anyway.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think race wins are huge for these bikes. That, and being the 'winner' of most mag shootouts. Nobody wants to show up at the Burger Barn with an also ran. Gotta have them braggin' rights. I'm serious.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Next question: does anybody really buy a bike these days because it won on Sunday?
Well, yes. Cars too. That's the reason that companies race. They wouldn't spend a nickel on racing otherwise.

Yeah I know. The 600SS bike raced professionally only shares a few components with the street version. That doesn't stop the squids from buying them. Try visiting the Burger Barn sometime.

There are club series that you can join that keep the mods down so that anyone can race.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well, yes. Cars too.
If you say so. I love to watch everything from airplanes to dung beetles race, but I'd never buy anything based on that. I guess I don't fit the demographic.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think racing is like junk mail. It gets people to buy the product. Everyone claims they never buy anything from junk mail, but they wouldn't send all that stuff out if it didn't work. OEM's race to sell. I know in NASCAR it works so well that advertisers are tripping over themselves to get their names on those cars.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If you say so. I love to watch everything from airplanes to dung beetles race, but I'd never buy anything based on that. I guess I don't fit the demographic.
Oh I see. You have a tendency towards thinking then. A retailer's nightmare!