Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

View Poll Results: Does Michael have the answers for the AMA?
Does Mike know what he's talking about? 4 80.00%
Should Mike just be a silent partner? 0 0%
Do you follow AMA road racing? 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Jordan and the AMA

Fans of Soup will no doubt have read the two articles concerning Michael Jordan and the AMA. Does Michaels comments reflect what is wrong with and the cure for the AMA? Clearly as things are, in my opinion, the series is in a death spiral. What changes do you think should be made?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
Fans of Soup will no doubt have read the two articles concerning Michael Jordan and the AMA. Does Michaels comments reflect what is wrong with and the cure for the AMA? Clearly as things are, in my opinion, the series is in a death spiral. What changes do you think should be made?
I'm not going to say he should be quiet, but maybe he should focus on learning how to draft NBA players and learning to run a franchise. Or he should focus all his time on running a race team.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
kavenger
Banned

Default Jordan is right

Great post mugwump58. After rereading the Jordon Interview I think is spot on.. Seruzawa went to the AMA races at Miller in Utah and had some really great observations. Even if the 4 factory teams are competitive between themselves it still is boring. Imagine NASCAR with Factory only teams from Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota that would not share technology with the other "privateer" teams.. The great thing about NASCAR is that almost any car can win because the factories don't really have teams like in the AMA.. I think Jordon should be take over and lead AMA racing..it needs his insight into what the fans want.Right now the AMA is becoming a parade or advertising show for the big 4.. Sometimes I suspect that they, the big 4, have unspoken agreements on who will win what class especially last year 2006.. Honda you get Formula Extreme, Suzuki you get Superbike, Yamaha you get Superstock..and Kawasaki you get Supersport if your riders stay healthy otherwise Yamaha gets it.
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default MJ needs to find a life

MikeJ proved that he was good at one and only one thing......and that was playing basketball. He doesn't have any more insight than you or I do about how to make the series more sucessful. Hopefully, he doesn't use the same methods to make the AMA successful as he did with the Washington Wizards, cause we all know how that turned out. I think MikeJ was the best that ever played the game of basketball, but shooting a ball through a hoop doesn't mean you know shyt about anything else. We all have ideas about how to do things, but success usually follows the money. Go check out how many baseball teams win the World Series with a low payroll. If the AMA had a boatload of money to spend, I bet the series would mysteriously get better. In the hayday it WAS better, because they had a variety of bikes and to win the championship you needed to ride dirt tracks and road tracks. More prize money and more promotional money would solve all the things thinking never could. That's just my opinion, which is no better and no worse than MikeJ's.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Another celebrity (yawn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
MikeJ proved that he was good at one and only one thing......and that was playing basketball. He doesn't have any more insight than you or I do about how to make the series more sucessful. Hopefully, he doesn't use the same methods to make the AMA successful as he did with the Washington Wizards, cause we all know how that turned out. I think MikeJ was the best that ever played the game of basketball, but shooting a ball through a hoop doesn't mean you know shyt about anything else. We all have ideas about how to do things, but success usually follows the money. Go check out how many baseball teams win the World Series with a low payroll. If the AMA had a boatload of money to spend, I bet the series would mysteriously get better. In the hayday it WAS better, because they had a variety of bikes and to win the championship you needed to ride dirt tracks and road tracks. More prize money and more promotional money would solve all the things thinking never could. That's just my opinion, which is no better and no worse than MikeJ's.
What makes celebrities think that their uninformed opinion is any more valuable than anyone else's? None of them made their millions by disseminating their opinions. Actors make it by looking good and sometimes acting. Jordan made it by being one of the best basketball players ever. But once they get million of bucks and a load of sycophants and toadies yessing them without end they start to think that they are experts on weather science or political science or running a racing series.

Maybe Jordan should concentrate on winning a few races before running his mouth. Of far more interest would be what Kenny Roberts thinks.

I respect celebrites far more when they say what Brad Pitt said when asked his opinion about Iraq, "What does anyone care what I think? I'm an actor." Michael Jordan could learn from Brad.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
kavenger
Banned

Default Defending Jordan

Is Jordan just another celebrity talking about politics i.e. something he has no experience at. No I don't believe so. He is a an owner who has knowledge about what it takes to field a successful team. He is also a rider.. But most importantly I listen to ideas first without trying to prejudge his remarks by saying he is only a celebrity. His ideas do make some sense. What is wrong with a level playing field? The factory teams may able to buy better riders but if the bikes were more equal you could see private teams win every so often as he states in the interview. Like I said and Jordon said look at NASCAR and you see a good road map for sucess.. Jordan says "When you go out and you look at NASCAR, anybody can win. In their position, they do what they do with the cars. Everybody's got to use a restrictor etc..."
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Poll shows

Poll shows that no one watches! Team Jordan has 5 of the possible 18 podiums in Superstock.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
kavenger
Banned

Yates is 3rd in overall points in Superstock and 7th in Superbike.. kind of makes Jordan's point.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
kavenger
Banned

Default Dean Adams SOUP editor is a prophet?

What SOUP thinks
"If Mike Jordan attended a NASCAR or MotoGP event and made noises like he was interested in owning a team, MotoGP and NASCAR would insure that he could run a competitive operation.

The AMA talk rounding the horn indicates that the next round of major Superbike rules will debut in 2009. If true, it will probably be too little too late. Jordan can't be expected to keep beating his head against the wall for another year and a half.
By that time Jordan will have tired of this and may well be gone."
Read more of Dean's stuff. Doesn't sound like he thinks Jordan doesn't know what he is talking about Dean puts out some really good stuff
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
What makes celebrities think that their uninformed opinion is any more valuable than anyone else's? None of them made their millions by disseminating their opinions. Actors make it by looking good and sometimes acting. Jordan made it by being one of the best basketball players ever. But once they get million of bucks and a load of sycophants and toadies yessing them without end they start to think that they are experts on weather science or political science or running a racing series.

Maybe Jordan should concentrate on winning a few races before running his mouth. Of far more interest would be what Kenny Roberts thinks.

I respect celebrites far more when they say what Brad Pitt said when asked his opinion about Iraq, "What does anyone care what I think? I'm an actor." Michael Jordan could learn from Brad.
Give it up man. Jordan knows everything. It's the same old roundy round with the same crap that he's right and everyone else is wrong and that's that. What you have is a high school educated person that has basically been a failure at everything he's done in life except shoot a basketball, but somehow knows everything there is about motorycle racing and promoting the sport. He never raced, never staged a race, has done nothing but throw money at a team and hang around once in a while, but he knows everything according to you-know-who. Ok, I give. Jordan is the smartest guy that ever walked and he knows what's best for everybody and everything including AMA racing. I'm out. Bye.