Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Repaved,....

Bikes Turn Laps At Much Smoother Daytona
Monday, December 20, 2010
This just in:Superbikeplanet

Motorcycle teams turn their first laps on new racing surface

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - With NASCAR, GRAND-AM and ARCA completing tire tests last week, motorcycles took their turn on the high banks of the newly repaved Daytona International Speedway on Sunday and Monday for their first laps on the new racing surface.

Select teams and riders from SuperBike and Daytona SportBike classes of AMA Pro Racing participated in a two-day Dunlop tire test in advance of March's Daytona 200 Week, which is highlighted by the 70th Daytona 200 AMA Pro Racing Daytona SportBike event and the opening rounds to the AMA SuperBike season.

For only the second time in its history, Daytona International Speedway's 2.5-mile tri-oval, pit road, skid pad and apron was repaved following the Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola in July.
Among the riders shaking down the new racing surface included:

· Graves Yamaha's Josh Hayes and Josh Herrin

· Yoshimura Suzuki's Tommy Hayden and Blake Young

· Pegram Racing's Larry Pegram

· Vesrah Suzuki's Cory West

· Celtic Racing's P.J. Jacobsen

"The race track has done a fantastic job with the paving job and Dunlop has done a real good job showing up with tires that are safe," said Hayes, the 2010 AMA Pro SuperBike champion. "We are all going around the race track having fun and have nothing but good things to say so far. I'm looking forward to coming back in January (to test) and then coming back and racing in March."

During the test, which was staged on the 2.95-mile road course, Hayes was impressed with the smoothness of the new racing surface.

"Quite honestly, it's so smooth that it's kind of changed the game plan," Hayes said. "Honestly the track feels smaller to me. It feels like it's about 80 percent of the size that it use to be because we get around there a little bit quicker, a little bit smoother and a little more time to relax. I'm sure for the guys riding in the Daytona 200 on the 600s, it's going to be a whole lot better."

"It's nice and smooth," said Herrin, the 2010 Daytona 200 champion. "It's easy to see now. There's no bumps and it's going to be make the 200 miles a lot easier up on the banking not being so bumpy. The chest isn't sore today. It's usually sore from all the bumps but it's been really good."

For Herrin, the tire test was his first time coming back to Daytona since becoming one of the youngest champions of the prestigious Daytona 200 last March.

"I know it's something a lot of people always want to achieve," Herrin said of winning the Daytona 200. "For me to do it so young, it's nice to get it out of the way. It's something that I've always wanted to do. All of the press that we have gotten from it has been really great for the whole Graves Yamaha team. It's been nice to be called the Daytona 200 champion for the past year and hopefully we can be called for that for the year to come."

Hayden has been turning laps around Daytona since the late 1990s and was also pleased on the changes throughout the superspeedway portion of the track.

"It's definitely different," Hayden said. "It's way smoother, the bike moves around a lot less and it has a lot more grip."

Motorcycles will return to DIS next month on Jan. 17-18 for another Dunlop tire test. Daytona 200 Week will kick off with the Daytona Supercross By Honda on Saturday, March 5 and conclude the following weekend with the Daytona 200 on Saturday, March 12.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Yer a lil' late there, Moke!

AMA Racers Test Repaved Daytona Track
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"For only the second time in its history, Daytona International Speedway's 2.5-mile tri-oval, pit road, skid pad and apron was repaved"

Considering the cash flow that place generates, it seems pretty *****rdly for the owners to have only paved the track 3 times in what, 60 years? Geez guys, spend a buck.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Yer a lil' late there, Moke!

AMA Racers Test Repaved Daytona Track
Maybe on the paving but not on the riders thoughts about the new surface. Besides you can never go by what a driver says about a repave if your riding a bike.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
"For only the second time in its history, Daytona International Speedway's 2.5-mile tri-oval, pit road, skid pad and apron was repaved"

Considering the cash flow that place generates, it seems pretty *****rdly for the owners to have only paved the track 3 times in what, 60 years? Geez guys, spend a buck.
Agreed! I think the surface of that place was part of Daytona, something like Sebring is, bumps and patches covering the place somehow I think for car guys it gives these places character, not to a roadracer on a bike.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Maybe on the paving but not on the riders thoughts about the new surface. Besides you can never go by what a driver says about a repave if your riding a bike.
WTF?

Did you actually read even the link header I posted?

Text is nearly word-for-word of what you cut-&-pasted from Soup!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Oops sorry guess I did. Don't have the time like I used to. RVs ya know.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Oops sorry guess I did. Don't have the time like I used to. RVs ya know.
No prob. But you should go back to walmart and get the next-higher-power readin' spectacles, you ol' dude you.......

Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Man would love to have a few go arounds there, hmmmm trackday in March possibly?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
entitledg
Registered Member

sounds interesting, can't wait for March's race car driving at Atlanta Motor speedway.

Last edited by entitledg : 01-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
entitledg is offline   Reply With Quote