Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Exclamation Here we go,...

Jarvis: the truth about Rossi

by Ernesto Emmi

We are a little less than two weeks away from the Grand Prix of the Czech Republic, and the announcement of the divorce between Valentino Rossi and Yamaha.* The announcement of a deal between the nine time world champion and Ducati should follow shortly thereafter.
Why Rossi may have decided to leave the Iwata based manufactuer, after saying a few months ago that doing so would make him feel like a traitor, we can only hypothesize about at this point.
What is certain is that the talk of a difference of opinion within Yamaha, with Lin Jarvis being against continuing with Rossi,* and Masao Furusawa being in favor, is as oversimplified as it is misleading.
Clarifying the reality of the situation is Jarvis himself who, without mixing words, revealed who has the final say: “Furusawa is my boss”, was how he summed it up. But he also had plenty of other things to say in the interview.
“The story about Yamaha perhaps letting Valentino go due to age is ridiculous – Jarvis explained - We made a proposal to Valentino for the extension of the contract, and the final decision on what Valentino will do will be made by Valentino.* I can't tell you the details, but I think after the Brno race he will clarify his decision.* I think neither Valentino nor Lorenzo have made their decision yet for the future, and at the moment we have no clear conclusion with Jorge, but we are in close contact with his management..."
Well certainly the Spaniard's season thus far is influencing Yamaha's decisions for the future.
“Lorenzo?* Even is doing better than I expected.* We knew that he had the potential to win races and get pole positions, but to win five and be second three times is pretty impressive.* To get five pole positions in a row is seriously impressive, so I would say he has exceeded all expectations this year.* Although it is fair to say also that Valentino was his main competitor, and Valentino has been out of action for four races, so this also has to be considered... but Jorge is doing exceptionally this year."

And then there is Ben Spies, waiting in the wings to take over one of the factory spots.
“Ben is doing exactly what I anticipated he could do and would do – Jarvis stressed - he got a podium earlier than we expected, but I expected he would get one or two this year.* If either of our two lead riders will not renew, than Ben Spies will be the one rider that we will move up.* We have had quite a bit of discussion with Poncheral to consider the options for next year, but the priority remains knowing what will happen with the factory team."
The key to the whole situation is the question of who at Yamaha said “no” to Rossi's “him or me” ultimatum.
“Yamaha, like any company, has many different opinions – the manager clarified - and any business situation is analyzed from different perspectives and angles.* We have a committee of key management that are involved in rider decisions, so we share our different opinions and finally come to one strategy.* Furusawa is my boss, so this is the reality.* We are five people exchanging ideas and opinions, but at the end of the day Furusawa is the boss of us.
Gpone.com

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

So much drama,..it's like when the game starts and there's plenty of chairs left but nobody wants to be the first to sit down.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Ace any news of Burgess going to Ducati as well?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? Maybe Rossi wants all staff to kowtow to him and also greet him as "Lord Master Of The Universe, We Aren't Worthy". Maybe Yamaha personnel refuse to do this but Ducati personnel will. Maybe Jarvis wouldn't loan Rossi his collection of "Debbie" videos. (Though Buzglyd might still have them). Could be anything.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The Debbie videos are all digitized.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The Debbie videos are all digitized.
All of them? Even "Debbie Does Diego Duck Riders"?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Don't see what the big mystery is he's Italian their Italian. Just admit it already! Did you say digitalized?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Burgess isn't giving up anything, but I don't think so. I'd almost bet he goes back to HRC and is Stoner's chief.

Colin going to WSBK Ducati will be great, however.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I bet that makes it easier for Rossi to fail with the duc, without his burgess. I mean what was Eddie without Erv.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Yamaha: quarantine for Burgess and Rossi

by Ernesto Emmi
Gpone.com

The August break is drawing to a close as the Czech GP is approaches.* More than the progress of the championship though, the focus is on Valentino Rossi and his eminent Ducati announcement.
There is some discussion about the exact date, and the most likely remains the Monday after the race, when the mid-season test is underway.
Obviously the honor and the responsibility of testing the Yamaha developments for 2011 will fall to Jorge Lorenzo, the rider who will also be called upon do lead the development of the new bike this winter.* The famous wall that Rossi erected might actually help him in this respect. The situation isn't particular in any way; no outgoing rider has ever been given development work, and there have actually been cases where an exclusion from development work has been used as a psychological weapon.* But this is now the reality, even if you want to nit pick the details and point out that Lorenzo hasn't actually re-signed with Yamaha yet.* Therefore it isn't even a certainty that Valentino Rossi will participate in the test at all, unless they want to fine tune their bike setup for the second part of the season.* Rossi probably doesn't want to leave the Japanese marque without scoring a few more wins for them... and himself.
Rossi's race performances will come under close scrutiny, however: a few wins will obviously be welcomed by all, so long as they don't adversely effect Jorge Lorenzo's championship run.
This is the reason that Yamaha has not officially granted permission for Rossi to begin testing immediately after the race in Valencia, unlike the green like given to Casey Stoner by Ducati.
Clearly things are not completely trouble free in the Rossi-Yamaha relationship right now as the Italian, as has happened in the past, will bring his entire crew with him, starting with Jeremy Burgess (pictured already "at work" with Ducati).
This was of course the reason that Honda prevented Rossi from testing at the end of 2003, and the Italian was forced to wait until 2004 and the first Sepang test.* An intervention that was basically in vain, as Burgess instead was able to begin working on the new M1 immediately, based on his already considerable experience working with Valentino.
In this regard MotoGP is still lagging behind F.1, where all the top engineers and designers have clauses in their contracts preventing them from immediately starting work with a competitor.