Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/)
-   -   Laguna Seca Results (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/15917-laguna-seca-results.html)

MOKE1K 07-25-2010 04:24 PM

Laguna Seca Results

2010: Lorenzo Wins Laguna Seca MotoGP
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Pos. Rider Team Bike
1 Jorge Lorenzo Fiat Yamaha Yamaha
2 Casey Stoner Ducati Marlboro Ducati
3 Valentino Rossi Fiat Yamaha Yamaha
4 Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Honda
5 Nicky Hayden Ducati Marlboro Ducati
6 Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha Yamaha
7 Colin Edwards II Tech 3 Yamaha Yamaha
8 Marco Melandri San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda
9 Mika Kallio Pramac Racing Ducati
10 Loris Capirossi Rizla Suzuki Suzuki
11 Roger Hayden LCR Honda Honda
12 Alex De Angelis Interwetten Honda MotoGP Honda

Lorenzo won by 3.5 seconds after suffering a terrible start. Pedrosa holeshot the race and had a nice lead until crashing out. He was not alone with Bautista, Barbera, Simoncelli and Espargaro all fell too, most suffering front end loss of adhesion.

Rossi battled with Dovi for third, made a pass late in the race that sent his fans into throngs of ecstasies.

Just 12 finishers. Unbelievable.

Lorenzo just did the "Neil Armstrong" at the top of the Corkscrew. The kid has some style.

Great race could not believe Ben made one mistake and missed out on passing Rossi! Oh the implications that would have had. None the less all in due time. Makes you wonder what Ben could do on a factory bike. Ace looks like RL did great finishing 11th I believe. Good show.

acecycleins 07-25-2010 07:19 PM

He almost got thenth. Glad Bem won the AMA race.

MOKE1K 07-26-2010 05:46 AM

How close was it Ace, didn't think they showed it but could be wrong.

acecycleins 07-26-2010 07:49 AM

With Rog- I thought the battle for the back of the pack was pretty good. As for Ben- Hayes was pretty close. Ben actually had to come back a little. Had a little mxer's experience at the corksrew.

12er 07-26-2010 11:21 AM

Good race, Ben was looking to pass Rossi, then blew turn 11 two laps in a row and managed to catch back up to Nicky by the end.

Sad that we had a fatality on the way out. Seems someone did a u turn and got hit by another bike, then a rider going the other way hit a down bike and was ejected from the bike. 3 bikes involved and the person that hit the down bike was the fatality...

Otherwise great weather, little foggy in the AM but burnt off nice by noon.

MOKE1K 07-26-2010 01:07 PM

You went! Must'a been epic. Did you get to visit the corkscrew, bet it was packed. Love that place! Sorry to hear about the accident. Sometimes it happens with that many people. What was the attendance level this year?

The_AirHawk 07-26-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 246630)
You went! Must'a been epic. Did you get to visit the corkscrew, bet it was packed. Love that place! Sorry to hear about the accident. Sometimes it happens with that many people. What was the attendance level this year?

The article MO has published says ~51,000.

12er 07-26-2010 03:18 PM

Attendance was 54kish Sunday, 43kish sat and 30ksomething Friday. They replaced the score tower this year and put 4 big screens around the top, really made a diff not having to binoc over to the turn 4 portable big screen once they vanish up the hill out of turn 5, they are at eye level to where I sit on the Hill now. Too sweet for viewing

I visit the corkscrew a few times a day (Portopotties are at the top and the bottom of the hill and I sit in the middle, easier to walk up than to walk down), but I only hang out there during practice and not that long. You can only see the face of the corkscrew between the tree's unless you camp out there for an on the fence spot. So watch them free fall off the top and the tire squirming for all its worth as they power out of the bottom right hander. TV and pics dont do it justice, its a paved cliff...

Got to see all my MotoGP friends that inhabit the same part of the hill every year and made a few new ones. Loved my commute from Big Sur to the track every morning and evening. Just love that ribbon of asphalt, 26 miles of bliss (unless mid day when the RV's are everywhere) but at 7am I only pass a car or two...

Speaking to the ones that attended last year it was a ghost town, only year I skipped due to the 4th of july date. Glad sanity returned to the schedule this year. So it was a good turn out.

Manufacturers row was sad, Honda and Ducati Island were well represented and Yamaha being the sponsor had a big setup, but nothing too exciting. Kawi was AWOL (didnt see Mr. Alexander this year), BMW only had RR's and no other bikes. Brammo unveiled the new bike Ken wants but I passed on fighting the crowds for that on Saturday. I hit the row Friday when nobody is around. Definitely not the glory days of only a few years ago when every major marquee had their entire line on display. Only had a so so stunt show going on, no 70 ft backflips anymore as they were st riders only. Seen one spinning wheelie and burnout seen them all...

The commute home up 101 was the usual epic lane split, 30 miles of two lanes of cars with a solid string of bikes up the middle. Cant wait for next year...

acecycleins 07-26-2010 05:39 PM

If you were thinking about the Vendor area as a vendor would it be worth it? I hear a 10x10 is near $2k. In the insurance world that would take me about 50 customers after all the expenses.
When WSBK ran and McGraw was the title sponsor I had free passes and got to hang in the tower for like 4 straight seasons. I really love visiting Laguna. We'd hang out on Cannery Row but I had most of my fun at this Irish bar in Salinas. Nothing like playing pool with a lot of latino car salesmen. Damn they can drink. Fun place.

MOKE1K 07-27-2010 04:57 AM

Thanks 12er, sounds like it was a blast. The vendor area sounded disappointing. I remember attending in 94, seemed like Dainese brought every cow they had available tons of leathers and a better deal there than anywhere. Miss going to Laguna, hard to watch rather be riding.