MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Uh Oh,...

Have a Nice Day: Smilie Faces Time Behind Bars
by staff
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
This just in:Superbikeplanet

Former AMA Board Chairman Dal Smilie sentenced
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- Former American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Board Chairman Dal Smilie was sentenced Monday, Feb. 22, to eight months in prison and two years probation for embezzling more than $100,000 through fraudulent travel reimbursement claims submitted to the AMA over a period of years ending in 2007.

Smilie pleaded guilty to felony counts of grand theft by deception and of receiving stolen property in the Fairfield County, Ohio, courtroom of Judge Chris Martin. He was taken directly into custody to begin serving a sentence that could see him request early release after 30 days.

Speaking to Judge Martin before his sentencing, Smilie expressed remorse for his actions.

"I've got much to apologize for, and many people to apologize to, including AMA members, AMA staff, my fellow board members and volunteers," he said. "I've let them down."

Smilie acknowledged that his fraudulent travel-reimbursement claims stemmed from his time as an AMA board member. "I overstated travel claims," he said. "I co-mingled funds. That's misappropriation. That's theft. That's a breach of trust, and I'm sorry for that. I was an honorable person, and I kind of slid into this. I don't have good excuses."

Fairfield County Assistant Prosecutor Gregg Marx said after the hearing that the sentence was appropriate, especially in light of the fact that Smilie paid restitution to the AMA for the money in question. "We're very pleased with the resolution of this case."

AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman echoed those sentiments. "On behalf of the members of the American Motorcyclist Association, we are satisfied that justice has been served, and we are glad to put this matter behind us," he said.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-23-2010 at 06:33 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Despite countless felons getting caught for embezzelment, it will continue to happen. Why? Why does everyone think they are different and won't get caught? And why does everyone think they can handle a liter bike as their first road bike?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Baaaaahaaaa
Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Criminals are all the same, they think they are clever or that everyone else is stupid, that's why so many get caught. Far as I'm concerned embezzlement and other so called white collar crimes are no different than sticking a gun in someones face and taking their money and they should be treated the same way. None of this minimum security Club Fed crap, toss them in with the GP and let them see the other side of the coin.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

During my career I've known more than one person who risked their big salaries and professional reputations over a few bucks on an expense report. Then again, white-collar crime goes unpunished with rare exceptions.

I was an AMA member until this came up. I dropped my AMA membership this year because I believe that this corruption is likely a reflection of the organization as a whole. Who audits the AMA? How effective are they with the money they get? Why did it take years for this malfeasance to come to light?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Dingman was brought in to get rid of stuff like this in the AMA.

He's got a long road to go to restore any trust in the organization.

If you care, here are links to a 3 part interview:

AMA President Rob Dingman Interview Part One: Answering The Question, How Much Money Did The AMA Get From DMG For AMA Pro Racing? News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

AMA President Rob Dingman Interview Part Two: Answering The Question, Why Did The AMA Screw Over AHRMA? News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

AMA President Rob Dingman Interview Part Three: Answering The Question, Where Does The AMA Go From Here? News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

The first two segments address specific, racing related questions, and the third is more broad. All are interesting reading.

Is it all true? I cannot say.

Last edited by pplassm : 02-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote