Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/)
-   -   Buell Bounces Back,... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/13838-buell-bounces-back.html)

MOKE1K 12-04-2009 11:47 AM

Buell Bounces Back,...
 
From Cycle News:Erik Buell Racing will be an independent race shop that will supply race-use-only Buell parts and race-preperation services for engines and motorcycles - and the building and sale of Buell 1125R racers under license from Harley Davidson. The shop will also provide technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles. The bike has been grandfathered in providing the bike and parts remain available. Last day at Harley for Buell will be November 30th. The race shop will be set up by December 1st.


Funny part is Danny Eslick is racing a Suzuki this coming year and even bringing Ritchie Morris from Harley with him.

MOKE1K 12-04-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 229333)
From Cycle News:Erik Buell Racing will be an independent race shop that will supply race-use-only Buell parts and race-preperation services for engines and motorcycles - and the building and sale of Buell 1125R racers under license from Harley Davidson. The shop will also provide technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles. The bike has been grandfathered in providing the bike and parts remain available. Last day at Harley for Buell will be November 30th. The race shop will be set up by December 1st.


Funny part is Danny Eslick is racing a Suzuki this coming year and even bringing Ritchie Morris from Harley with him.


Complete story:
Cycle News | Buell Back In Business

Kenneth_Moore 12-04-2009 01:10 PM

Since the point of most race efforts is to sell bikes, I have to wonder how long this Buell effort will continue. Almost by default it will be privateers only.

MOKE1K 12-04-2009 02:02 PM

I'd like to see him continue to support racing with or without Harley. Wonder if they are having second thoughts. I mean he did win the Championship last year. Can never figure out Harley, or their bikes.

Kenneth_Moore 12-04-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 229352)
I'd like to see him continue to support racing with or without Harley. Wonder if they are having second thoughts. I mean he did win the Championship last year. Can never figure out Harley, or their bikes.

Yeah, but it was an asterik win...you know, like the guy who won the Series but was using steroids. An 1125 against 600s just never struck me as a fair fight.

MOKE1K 12-04-2009 02:59 PM

True, and the sixxes still gave em hell. Just can't figure out Harley other than, they don't give a rats ass about Roadracing.

seruzawa 12-04-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 229358)
True, and the sixxes still gave em hell. Just can't figure out Harley other than, they don't give a rats ass about Roadracing.

Obviously, because it was a Buell effort. Buell, as far as HD goes, is pocket change. HD never had much interest in selling Buells or else they would have taken actions against dealers who wouldn't sell them.

The size of Buell Motorcycles on HD's balance sheets would disappear in rounding the numbers. It was that small. HD dumped Buell because they knew it would boost the stock value. Any losses Buell was causing HD were unnoticeable next to the blood gushing out of HD credit division. This was an action taken for PR purposes. Buell's profitability wasn't going to affect HD's total profitability one way or the other.

HD is dammed by it own success. All the buyers seem to want is big twins. HD's attempts to overcome this (The Revolution motor and Buell) have been decided failures. At this time there seems to be little point for HD to pursue road racing because it doesn't boost their sales.

And it's too bad. The series will go back to being one big Rice Bowl and the interest will wane. AMA Racing is in serious trouble as the numbers have been showing. Now, the Big4 are happy with this situation because it means guaranteed championships for the ad copy. But if things keep going this way with every bike in the series having the same bore and stroke than the series will die. No one will host events when there are no more spectators.

mscuddy 12-04-2009 05:33 PM

Whatever Eric Buell does, it's a damn shame to see his bikes get the axe by HD.

I think the Rotax 1125 went against what Buell stood for, i.e. a hotrod Sportster motor in a trick frame, and it ultimately doomed the brand.

Simple and trick, that why I bought one. And it hauled ass, no matter what anyone says. That old XR1000 based motor moved.

MOKE1K 12-05-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 229373)
Whatever Eric Buell does, it's a damn shame to see his bikes get the axe by HD.

I think the Rotax 1125 went against what Buell stood for, i.e. a hotrod Sportster motor in a trick frame, and it ultimately doomed the brand.

Simple and trick, that why I bought one. And it hauled ass, no matter what anyone says. That old XR1000 based motor moved.

And shook.

Iam all for the Buell's getting in the mix. But I just can't see the homolagation rules being bent beyond recognition just to allow them in.
Its seems the rules are bent becuase of a lack of a competitive bike on HD's part. Its like punishing the Japanese manufactures because HD can't build an equal but different motorcycle. Ducati can. Wouldnt surprise me if DMG was in HDs pocket anyway.

mscuddy 12-05-2009 01:07 PM

No, I guess I didn't express myself well enough. In my mind a Buell wasn't for racing, it was for riding. Anyone knows that Sporty motor hasn't been competitive since 1969, when the formula changed from 750cc side vale/500cc overhead valve to 750cc. Funny though how the 1972 Alloy XR has dominated flat track for last 39 years, but I digress:

The Buell was for someone like me, a person who grew tired of the anvil like reliability and cookie-cutter design process of the Japanese bikes, and wanted something different.

I had a lot of fun with that sixty horsepower machine. Best handling street bike I ever owned. I had no delusions of grandure about it, it was just "different" and looked like nothing else on two wheels.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 AM.